Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony A33 and A55 Fun Image thread

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Turns out the Zeiss rocks the house. I turned the sharpening off and just auto ISO and these scream with detail
    Fab isn't it - and as you say, it's nice having the 24mm equivalent . . for me it gives just enough range that I needn't carry anything else.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is! The cat! All is now right with the world. I used the LCD to put the camera down almost to the level of the deck.
    Torture test with white fur in the sun plus dark shadows. Uncropped, 80mm, f4.5, ISO, 1/1600 sec 200.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 9th October 2010 at 08:18.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And the cat is indeed giving you the "what the heck is doing look"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    And the cat is indeed giving you the "what the heck is doing look"
    Although that is normal cat attitude, in this case it's "this sun is soooo nice, it's hard to stay awake."
    100% crop.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will post some images later from processed raws.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jono,

Quick question for you, I presume this lens you're referring to is the Zeiss 16-80 DT?.
    Have you tried the a33 with your ZA 24-70 yet?. And if so do you have any comments regarding differences or otherwise.

I can see the merits of a single 16-80 on the a33/a55 but I don't fancy dropping another €800 on a lens when I have both the ZA 16-35 & ZA 24-70 to cover the range (granted it's 2 lenses but a constant f:/2.8 to boot)

Also have you played with the video yet?, any comments?.

TIA
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like

I played a bit with the A55 at Sony today. I have to say that the EVF is simply amazing and the AF points are placed at the right places, much better than the A900. I would have no hesitation to buy the FF version if it ever becomes available.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I processed some images in ACR. Pretty much left them alone. All with the Zeiss 16-80

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More to follow

Bob Yanal

New Sony SLT a55 arrived yesterday. (Following shots taken in JPEG as Aperture doesn't yet read the Sony's raw files.)

This taken with a Tamron 60mm f/2.

The next two taken with the Sony 18-250mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Have you tried the a33 with your ZA 24-70 yet?. And if so do you have any comments regarding differences or otherwise.
    Having had the 24-70ZA, 16-35ZA and the 16-80ZA in the past, used at the time on my earlier A700 (the 16-80 and A700 were subsequently sold), I can state that the prime advantage of the 16-80 is a combination of small size/weight and excellent range on APS-C bodies. But for sheer performance, it does not, in any way shape or form, match the FF Zeiss lenses.......especially when those full-frame Zeiss lenses are deployed on a DT body.

If you can tolerate the larger size, heavier weight and shorter range, and don't mind carrying those around, then there is no quesiton that the FF Zeiss lenses, which are built to do duty on the far more challenging FF environment, will have no problems in running circles around the DT lens for sheer quality.
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post
    Having had the 24-70ZA, 16-35ZA and the 16-80ZA in the past, used at the time on my earlier A700 (the 16-80 and A700 were subsequently sold), I can state that the prime advantage of the 16-80 is a combination of small size/weight and excellent range on APS-C bodies. But for sheer performance, it does not, in any way shape or form, match the FF Zeiss lenses.......especially when those full-frame Zeiss lenses are deployed on a DT body.

If you can tolerate the larger size, heavier weight and shorter range, and don't mind carrying those around, then there is no quesiton that the FF Zeiss lenses, which are built to do duty on the far more challenging FF environment, will have no problems in running circles around the DT lens for sheer quality.
    True, true. I had those lenses and an A700. Great gear. That's when I decided I had had enough of a big body and huge lenses. That 24-70 is a frigging monster. Great lens, but b-i-i-i-g.

Post Thanks / Like

good flare control!

great colors

Post Thanks / Like

FYI, Power 2000 3rd party batteries from 47st Photo via Amazon do not work in the a33. They are just slightly too short to make proper contact to contact connection.

I installed a 3/8"x3/8" piece of adhesive backed fuzzy velcro material to the rear of the battery at the top dead center position to give it a very slight compression when the battery door is shut and locked. Seems to be working ok with this fix. Figured I would pass this fix along........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roweraay View Post

Thanks Roweraay, I had suspected as much but just needed some form of confirmation.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Yanal View Post
    New Sony SLT a55 arrived yesterday. (Following shots taken in JPEG as Aperture doesn't yet read the Sony's raw files.)

The next two taken with the Sony 18-250mm.

Thanks for posting. The tamron looks good.

The Sony 18-250 is definitely off the list (tonnes of CA, etc). How did they manage to make a zoom like this (and sell it for cash)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay have ten more test shots here to load up. I picked some images that are a challenge to cams just to see how it handles things. These are all processed in ACR and corrected for best results which BTW was not a lot of corrections. Basically some recovery and fill. I did NOT sharpen these either. I always test cams in this little town because i can get a lot of color, detail and DR situations. All shot with the Zeiss 16-80 on Daylight WB. Various apertures and focal lengths. Do get a little vignetting at 16mm wide open . Look at metal horse shot

here you go and hope it helps folks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Darn forgot one

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW if you go here http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/brow...?c=260&userid=
    than click the thumb nail than click the preview you will get 3000 pixel wide images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On daylight these are coming in at about 5k kelvin if lowered to 4400 kelvin which is about right for early morning than they are more neutral to the correct WB. I left them at 5k for the warmer look

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is WB out to 4200 kelvin. Again you don't always have to be dead on with scenics, depends on look you are after. But in this image it is actually better. These images are more to see what is coming in from cam without too much adjustments.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shots Guy - lovely morning light . . . .

I tried some different lenses today. These shots are with the Sony/Zeiss 135 f1.8 - all jpg files with marginal modification.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look nice. I have a 20 2.8 and 50 1.4 coming

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I read in the dpreview review that the AF tracking seemed less than perfect. I'm not really in a position to judge it, as it's something I use so rarely.

So - I bunged on the Sony 70-300 G lens, stuck it on spot AFC and started snappin' away (I didn't try continuous shooting, somehow I can't bring myself to let the camera take the shots!)

Most of these were taken between 200 and 300mm, and in case you wondered that dog moves (he was keeping up with a whippet easily) what's worse is that he never goes in a straight line for more than 2 seconds at a time.

Anyway, I managed to get a really high proportion of keepers - and it was a pleasure to use.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow- Reichman said tracking was really good when he was doing video. I was surprised when dpreview came back as so-so. I don't know how well I would have gotten those with any camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Wow- Reichman said tracking was really good when he was doing video. I was surprised when dpreview came back as so-so. I don't know how well I would have gotten those with any camera.
    Quite Terry
    The dogs were zooming around like bezums - They aren't all perfect (the last one he's got a bit ahead of the focus) but I've never got shots like that, and they were really consistently good.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up an A33 kit this afternoon. Here are a few from a walk, all with the 18-55mm kit lens. All handheld.

Close focus
    Attachment 36320

Attachment 36321

Attachment 36322

Attachment 36323

All processed in ACR and CS5 from RAW.

I'm hoping to pick up the Zeiss 16-80mm this week. I'm off to New Orleans next week and the A33 is going with me.

One thing I did notice was that in about an hour's time of rambling with occasional stills shooting (no video), the temperature warning appeared! Wow! This is not heavy shooting, and on a coolish afternoon... astonishing!

Since I've NEVER had this issue with ANY other stills digital, I have to wonder if it is actually an out-of-whack reading that triggers it? I was able to keep shooting, even though the warning was present, however, I didn't try too many shots before I cycled the camera off for a couple of minutes. When I next turned it on, the warning was gone. Regardless of the cause, Sony is going to have to step lively on this.

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 8th July 2011 at 08:51.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    One thing I did notice was that in about an hour's time of rambling with occasional stills shooting (no video), the temperature warning appeared! Wow! This is not heavy shooting, and on a coolish afternoon... astonishing!
    Hi Simon
    I was blasting away for a whole batteries worth yesterday afternoon, including mostly AFC, and some video - no heat warning, I wonder if you shouldn't get a replacement before you go off somewhere hot!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I'm beginning to wonder that too, Jono. We're doing our Thanksgiving here today so I'll have a chance to run it through the hoops and then see whether it should go back.

Good to know that others are not having this issue.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few more from this morning, all with the kit lens, all handheld.

Attachment 36375

Attachment 36374

Attachment 36373

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 8th July 2011 at 08:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony does such a good job with colors.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Sony does such a good job with colors.
    So do others but Sony makes it more cost effective. In ~2 months the A55 will be 100 Euros less than the proposed price and would be even more attractive.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    So do others but Sony makes it more cost effective. In ~2 months the A55 will be 100 Euros less than the proposed price and would be even more attractive.
    Maybe, but I just checked the price of the A900, and it's higher than it was when I bought mine 2 years ago.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This is a Sony dealer resource but end users may find it valuable as well:

http://www.cyberscholar.com/?company...44/1/469/1.cfm

(Seems they reversed the legend on the video on page two.)

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided to return my A33 as I (and others) continue to have the temperature warning while casual shooting of stills. This simply doesn't sit well with me and I fear that over the long (or maybe even short) term, this will damage the electronics. This is not something that firmware can fix, I don't think, so my opinion is that the camera is not yet ready for prime-time.

Cheers,

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have emailed our Sony rep about this, to see if he has any knowledge or info.

It could indeed be a firmware issue; it could simply be triggering the warning too early.

Hopefully the rep will have some useful info...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've decided to return my A33 as I (and others) continue to have the temperature warning while casual shooting of stills. This simply doesn't sit well with me and I fear that over the long (or maybe even short) term, this will damage the electronics. This is not something that firmware can fix, I don't think, so my opinion is that the camera is not yet ready for prime-time.

Cheers,

Realted issue but on the NEX. I have noticed NEX-5 getting noticeably warm when used for long exposures. So far, nothing has happened to it nor has it affected the images.

But, I only use the NEX very sparingly because of its limited use for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Realted issue but on the NEX. I have noticed NEX-5 getting noticeably warm when used for long exposures. So far, nothing has happened to it nor has it affected the images.
    Vivek,

I notice the same thing on both my NEX 5s too. I think (again, just my opinion) that the metal body of the NEX 5 sinks the heat more efficiently.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is also my assumption, Simon.

A33 and A55- both plastic? Which isn't a bad thing as long as there are no heat related issues.

Post Thanks / Like

A33 and A55- both plastic? Which isn't a bad thing as long as there are no heat related issues.
    Certainly the A33 is, and from what I understand, so is the A55.

Bottom line for me is that I don't want a camera that I have to keep turning off to keep it from overheating. Call me old fashioned, but this is simply not acceptable. No camera I've used to date, including shooting video on the GH1, has ever given me this issue.

Ciao,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Certainly the A33 is, and from what I understand, so is the A55.

Bottom line for me is that I don't want a camera that I have to keep turning off to keep it from overheating. Call me old fashioned, but this is simply not acceptable. No camera I've used to date, including shooting video on the GH1, has ever given me this issue.

Ciao,
    Hi Simon - I quite agree it isn't right - but I'm not convinced it's a universal problem, and I'd suspect your camera (and maybe others too).

I had mine on contiuous AF on Sunday (warm day) it was on for 3 or 4 hours, without really going to sleep, and it didn't get warm, and there was no warning (battery from 80% to 20%)

The previous weekend we were doing a wedding, and Emma used the camera all day without any warning.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Simon - I quite agree it isn't right - but I'm not convinced it's a universal problem, and I'd suspect your camera (and maybe others too).
    Jono,

I quite agree that it does not appear to be universal. It's just that when the one in my universe decides to act this way, it goes back. Whereas I thought, going into this purchase, that the problem was perhaps over-blown, I now have enough personal proof that Sony have an issue that will need to be dealt with.

I may try Sony again if there is first, an acknowledgement of this issue, and second, a real, tangible fix. I don't think that "resetting the threshold" of the warning sensor will cure the root cause. The two main things that cause damage to electronics are heat and moisture.

To those (mostly on other fora) who propose that the warning system is Sony's way of handling this heat issue, I say, you're accepting a broken tool and learning to live with it. Sorry, but I expect my tools to work wherever I need them. As I mentioned in my earlier post, this has NEVER happened to me with any other camera. Ever.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,

I quite agree that it does not appear to be universal. It's just that when the one in my universe decides to act this way, it goes back.
    Quite Right Too - but one should always be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    I haven't been aware of issues on other forums (mostly because I haven't been looking!).

Sony have shown they've been listening with the firmware updates for the NEX - I wouldn't expect an acknowledgement (hair shirts and sackcloth and ashes aren't productive on the internet) but I WOULD expect a fix, whether firmware or otherwise, public or hidden in a firmware update, and I'd be amazed if there wasn't one.

I don't believe it can be a 'structural' problem, or it would affect all cameras rather than some.
    Why not get your dealer to give you a replacement for your trip, on the condition that if it does it too you can get your money back?

all the best
    Last edited by jonoslack; 12th October 2010 at 15:12.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I think at this point, I'm just going to take my pair of NEX 5s with Voigtländer 21 f4, 50 f1.1 and 75 f1.8 lenses. That was my original idea, but I admit, I got caught up in the hype for the A33/55.

Ciao,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think at this point, I'm just going to take my pair of NEX 5s with Voigtländer 21 f4, 50 f1.1 and 75 f1.8 lenses. That was my original idea, but I admit, I got caught up in the hype for the A33/55.

Ciao,
    Fair enough - but I don't think it's hype, I'm seriously impressed with the performance, both with respect to focusing, and the Image quality . . .mind you, I do have a selection of A mount lenses to apply to the problem!

If every camera with release time glitches were abandoned, there wouldn't be many contenders left!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Fair enough - but I don't think it's hype, I'm seriously impressed with the performance, both with respect to focusing, and the Image quality . . .mind you, I do have a selection of A mount lenses to apply to the problem!

If every camera with release time glitches were abandoned, there wouldn't be many contenders left!
    "Hype" was not the best word I could have used, but I meant it as "excitement", not in a derogatory manner. I also heartily agree about the IQ.

I'm not advocating a mass boycott of the camera, I know it's working well for you (and others). It's just not working for me (and others).
    Since this issue happened to me personally, I felt justified in bringing to the forum members' attention.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I have emailed our Sony rep about this, to see if he has any knowledge or info.

It could indeed be a firmware issue; it could simply be triggering the warning too early.

Hopefully the rep will have some useful info...
    Sony did put out information about it with guidelines but I thought they attributed it to video.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they published some guidelines for video, including turning off steady shot to gain more video time. There shouldn't be an overheating problem when shooting stills...either the camera really is overheating for some reason, or it *thinks* it is overheating when it is not. Either way, it's not acceptable...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Yes, they published some guidelines for video, including turning off steady shot to gain more video time. There shouldn't be an overheating problem when shooting stills...either the camera really is overheating for some reason, or it *thinks* it is overheating when it is not. Either way, it's not acceptable...
    Agree

Post Thanks / Like

Jono, Even though my a33 is essentially a second carry camera afield to my NEX5 I do keep it up and running for those quick distant shots with a long zoom. I too have not experienced a heat issue as yet either with feel or a in camera warning.

I have read many posts about the heating up issue primarily with the a55 (probably because there are far more using the a55 than the a33). But, it is still a non-issue with my a33 so far.

Simon, I am truly sorry yours had this issue ........ maybe a exchange for another camera my yield different results.