Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: I need some good lens advice - APS-C to FF Upgrade

  1. #1
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    I need some good lens advice - APS-C to FF Upgrade

    Hi folks, I need some advice. I am picking up an A99 in a couple of weeks, and need lens advice, that is... I have two APS-C lenses for my A77 that I use a lot, and I would like similar focal lengths for the Full Frame A99.

    These two lenses I have used with Pentax and Nikon in the past and now with the A77, either one is on my camera most of the time. The Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro is just fine, as is the Tamron 70-300mm USD which I use rarely

    What would be your best recommendation for the following two.

    Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6
    Tamron 17-50mm F2.8

    And the Tamron 18-270mm whick I only use when my bag limit is tight with travel restrictions. What is a good travel lens for a FF camera.

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

    Thanks, Phil
    Last edited by Matix; 15th November 2012 at 01:56.
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

  2. #2
    Senior Member pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,129
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need some good lens advice - APS-C to FF Upgrade

    I don't have an A99, but an A850.

    My WA zoom is a KM 17-35/2.8-4D. Extreme corners are a bit soft, but for the rest it works great. I also picked up an old Minolta 20/2.8 prime which is also a lot of fun using.

    Alternative for your 17-50 is the Tamron 28-75/2.8, similar IQ and build quality. I don't have one, and use an old Minolta 28-70/2.8 G, probably better IQ wide open, but a lot heavier and slower AF.

    There's nothing FF equivalent to a 17-270 superzoom, my "jack of all trades/walkaround" on the A850 is a Tamron 28-200 XR/IF, or also a Minolta 24-105D.

    Hope this helps

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    691
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need some good lens advice - APS-C to FF Upgrade

    The 24-70 2.8 is my go to lens for just about every situation. Total workhorse lens. Only drawback is the weight. I don't have anything wider than 24 so cannot comment there.

  4. #4
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need some good lens advice - APS-C to FF Upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    The 24-70 2.8 is my go to lens for just about every situation. Total workhorse lens. Only drawback is the weight. I don't have anything wider than 24 so cannot comment there.
    Thanks, I will check that one out.

    Phil
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

  5. #5
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need some good lens advice - APS-C to FF Upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    I don't have an A99, but an A850.

    My WA zoom is a KM 17-35/2.8-4D. Extreme corners are a bit soft, but for the rest it works great. I also picked up an old Minolta 20/2.8 prime which is also a lot of fun using.

    Alternative for your 17-50 is the Tamron 28-75/2.8, similar IQ and build quality. I don't have one, and use an old Minolta 28-70/2.8 G, probably better IQ wide open, but a lot heavier and slower AF.

    There's nothing FF equivalent to a 17-270 superzoom, my "jack of all trades/walkaround" on the A850 is a Tamron 28-200 XR/IF, or also a Minolta 24-105D.

    Hope this helps
    Helps a lot, thanks... always good to know what people use, specs can tell you only so much.

    Phil
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need some good lens advice - APS-C to FF Upgrade

    I have a Sony G APO 70-200/2.8 that I use on the A77. Great lens but certainly large as all dSLR lenses of speed and quality tend to be. Nevertheless if you can deal with the size and want the speed you can't go wrong with this one. If you want something smaller the 70-300 (or 70-400 if you need distance) has good results at the expense of some speed.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  7. #7
    Member Matix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need some good lens advice - APS-C to FF Upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I have a Sony G APO 70-200/2.8 that I use on the A77. Great lens but certainly large as all dSLR lenses of speed and quality tend to be. Nevertheless if you can deal with the size and want the speed you can't go wrong with this one. If you want something smaller the 70-300 (or 70-400 if you need distance) has good results at the expense of some speed.
    Thanks for the recommendations... the 70-400 G is looking like the top of the heap for long lens.. I had a 70-200mm 2.8 in my Nikon days... it never got much use, but the 80-400 VR sure did.

    Phil
    Photo-Matix Imagery - Capturing Life with a camera
    Panasonic Lumix GX8, Lumix G85, Lumix GX7, and various lenses.
    Gallery: http://photos.photo-matix.com.au

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I need some good lens advice - APS-C to FF Upgrade

    Cool well that solves that problem and I think the 70-200 and 70-400 are of similar size. Pair it with a Zeiss 24-70 and you have most of your needs (except speed in a portrait lens and normal lens) covered.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •