The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7, A7R, A7S....the next A7?

f/otographer

I would like to get the following improvements on my A7r:

- reduced shutter noise and shake
- increased responsiveness
- IBIS would be nice, but I don't think it's possible now

Even more important than the constant iteration of camera bodies is a professional lens lineup. We need more lenses with the quality of the FE55. Since there is now a trinity of zoom lenses (16-35, 24-70, 70-200), the next group of lenses should be of high quality primes.
Amen to that. My A7 seems to have become quite sluggish recently. Several seconds of blackness when I turn the camera on.

Reduced shutter noise would be nice as well. I mean its not crazy loud but sometimes I turn off the Electronic FCS and its gets pretty clickity clackity.

ThomasZ

Amen to that. My A7 seems to have become quite sluggish recently. Several seconds of blackness when I turn the camera on.

Reduced shutter noise would be nice as well. I mean its not crazy loud but sometimes I turn off the Electronic FCS and its gets pretty clickity clackity.
I found that always formatting the SD card after copying images optimizes start-up time. Maybe the firmware tries to recover some kind of image database if the files are just deleted.

And the shutter noise of the A7r IS crazy loud!

Knorp

Makes you wonder how hard it would be to implement a user selectable AA filter, one that could be used whenever you needed it and retracted when moire is not an issue and you want every last bit of resolution. That would be innovative. Sony innovates. Are you listening Sony? :)
Perhaps Sony should have a hard look at the Pentax K3 ... :toocool: :rolleyes: :D

The World’s-first***, innovative anti-aliasing simulator function

Newly developed for the K-3, the anti-aliasing simulator**** applies microscopic vibrations to the image sensor unit at the subpixel level during image exposure, generating the same level of moiré-reduction effect as an optical anti-aliasing filter. Unlike an optical anti-aliasing filter that always creates the identical result, this innovative simulator allows the user not only to switch the anti-aliasing filter effect on and off, but also to adjust the level of the effect. This allows the user to set the ideal effect for a particular scene or subject.

turtle

Much faster and responsive shutter release
Better AF
IBIS
and...

....sort the blinking quality control out with their lenses. Dramatically reduce the number of decentered lenses.

philip_pj

Most users saw very little improvement in the RX1r, to the point where any differences at all seemed imaginary, DxO got a better result from the RX1 - so it cannot be much of a gain. See here:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1R versus Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1 - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

IBIS would matter to me - I dislike the OSS implementation (and VR and IS for that matter) but IBIS would mean an a7r could take better images than an a7s, given same gen sensor technology, if you go by the latest reports of the a7s.

The value of shooting a 100mm lens at 1/30s at ISO 6400 on an a7r, then walking outside and taking a landscape at 1/200s and ISO 100 handheld with one small camera (say 575-600 grams, lighter than a M240 body) with 36Mp with a good chance of success and plenty of crop options would be a great benefit.

jonoslack

HI There
Well, I've still got my FE lenses - but I don't have a body, because I didn't like either the A7 or the A7r (for different reasons). I'm hoping that an A9 later in the year will address my issues - if not I guess I'll sell the lenses and stick with the M.

To get me back in again they would need to address only two issues:

1. a quieter less clacking shutter - whatever anyone else may say, I needed two to three times the shutter speed on the A7/r when handholding as I do on my Leica M - there isn't any reason why it should be different. EFC and a quieter shutter would do the trick.

2. less shutter lag - it isn't terrible, but it is there, and for me to buy into a whole new system they should be able to deal with this - Fuji, for instance, on the X-T1 seem to have managed to remove it almost completely.

I would also really like to see IBIS - now they have the 'partnership' with Olympus surely this could be managed (it would certainly be worth a little more bulk if that was the penalty). But IBIS isn't a deal breaker, just a real want.

I'm not so much interested in AF on legacy lenses - and to be honest I think the chances of Sony doing it are so remote as to be negligible: why spend money developing something which is likely to impact the sale of their own lenses? It's the reason why they aren't ever going to properly address the corner issues with M lenses - where's the profit?

Like Marc - I loved the A900, and I'd love to see a simplified interface, but I suspect that box ticking rules this out too.