The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The TOUGH E-Mount from Fotodiox Pro

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I just put it on. Fairly easy a little glue with the A7r but separated easy enough to put new mount on. Much stronger no wiggle and my 85 with LA-4 wiggled before I did it. Now its like a rock and the plastic tabs where wearing down too. So they won't last long anyway

Guy Mancuso

Frankly pretty damn stupid design. Its actually and it should be embarrassing to Sony of that cheap plastic crap.

Bob Parsons

Guy, which version of the mount do you have? The early version has Tough E-MOUNT written only on the back whereas the new V2 version has it on the back and front. Interesting to hear the plastic tabs on your camera original had started to wear down.

Be sure to check focus at all 4 corners. The reason I ask is because the Fotodiox mount has recesses machined into it in which the 4 supporting posts on the die cast body fit. The original Sony annular flange is flat with no recess. The distance between the bottom of each recess and the front of the Fotodiox mount all have to be equal and match the thickness of the Sony, this is critical. This is where the error was on my mount.

Bob.

Guy Mancuso

Bob I have newer version both type on back and front . I'll test it tomorrow. I have shoot with the A7r a couple portraits but I'll shoot something else too

Guy Mancuso

The plastic tabs on mine where getting rounded from wear. Only time would destroy it. Bad design. For the dollar they saved it was pretty lame idea . Now maybe with the smaller FE lenses okay but we are all bolting anything we can find in it. My canon 17 with meta ones adapter is one heavy beast but even the 135 1.8 will wear it down too.

dbogdan

Ordered, delivered, installed... piece of cake.
It's too bad it had to be done at all....... but I'm a happy puppy now!:thumbs:
Thanks to Fotodiox!!:salute:
Highly recommended!

davidbogdan

mbn

i still dont get it...
imo, its a solution looking for a problem.

but thats just me and my experience, using my equipment.

Guy Mancuso

Okay day of shooting and just got my new 50 1.4 ZA and my 85 1.4 which I shot portraits today. I found on both lenses I added +3 on my micro adjustment. Not a big deal. My metabones adapter is actually tighter which I actually like but again the lenses are on like a rock. So end of day worth the cash.

i still dont get it...
imo, its a solution looking for a problem.

but thats just me and my experience, using my equipment.
Clearly there was a problem and one recognized by many users. Glad you don't have a loose mount but others here certainly did. Compared to my A7s (full metal mount), my A7 had, over the past year, exhibited increasing levels of wobble in the mount. I never noticed a negative effect to the images but I would prefer my larger lenses to fit snugly. Now they do.

chrisd

My problem with my A7R, which I'm thinking this new mount might fix, is my MB IV adapter will frequntly lose the electrical contact (and aperture will go wide open), requiring me to stop to remount. That said, the adapter does not feel unusually sloppy on the mount. Hopefully, the new mount would not make that problem worse?

By the way, this problem does not occur when I mount the MB IV adapter on my new A6000, so I don't believe it's an adapter issue.

Assuming I go with the Fotodiox mount, I'm trying to understand if there is any risk during the mount replacement of stripping the mount screws or screw hole threads, which would render the camera unusable?

Last edited:

tn1krr

My problem with my A7R, which I'm thinking this new mount might fix, is my MB IV adapter will frequntly lose the electrical contact (and aperture will go wide open), requiring me to stop to remount. That said, the adapter does not feel unusually sloppy on the mount. Hopefully, the new mount would not make that problem worse?

By the way, this problem does not occur when I mount the MB IV adapter on my new A6000, so I don't believe it's an adapter issue.

Assuming I go with the Fotodiox mount, I'm trying to understand if there is any risk during the mount replacement of stripping the mount screws or screw hole threads, which would render the camera unusable?
There has been reports of both this Fotodiox Mount and Metabones adapter losing infinity focus with certain lenses that have hard stop. I tested a rental Distagon 21/2.8 (Canon EF) on my A7R (no mount modification s) with MB Mark III and it did not focus perfectly to infinity. Just something to keep in mind is you are thinking about stacking the mount Metabones adapter and shoot some lenses with hard stops at infinity.

In the end of this article infity issues are talked; propably will not get any better if one stacks two items that may cause this them

Fitting the Fotodiox Tough E-Mount | Photoclubalpha

There have also been a few reports of people replacing the A7/A7R mount with A7S one. Spare part code is 453653101. It is more expensive than Fotodiox one and availability can be an issue, but depending on for what one plans to use the Metabones adapter I'd consider it too.

Guy Mancuso

I'm using my metabones with my canon 17 which focuses past infinity and my 24TSE comes today so I'll check that as well.

jlm

Workshop Member
Guy:
fyi
my 17 and 24 TSE's both rotate past the inf stop.

also the zeiss 135/f1.8 ZA rotates a tiny bit past the inf stop

Guy Mancuso

Great was not sure on the 24. I should have no issues. I do like the mount. Obviously Sony by putting a metal one on the A7s realized they screwed up in the first place. Forty dollars for peace of mind is worth it to me. I have nice , heavy expensive glass and last thing I need is it spinning off the cam.

V

Vivek

There have also been a few reports of people replacing the A7/A7R mount with A7S one. Spare part code is 453653101. It is more expensive than Fotodiox one and availability can be an issue, but depending on ..
Any details on that one (links?)? How much does it cost and where can one access it?

Stefan Steib

I have installed the newest version now on my A7R and it is a much tighter feeling on the lenses - especially when you use our HCam Master TS or Hartblei Zeiss Lenses with Novoflex adapters.

One thing: there is a white adhesive ring inside the bajonett which came off a bit when I had torn off the black plastic (very carefully so I can reuse when needed for a guarantee shipment to Sony). This I refitted carefully with a tiny screwdriver and got it back to the outer orange ring before I put on the fotodiox.
If you will not do this very carefully, there might be some material from that getting between body and tough emount and "might" cause a misalignment.

So take care for that when mounting !

Regards
Stefan

Guy Mancuso

Btw I forgot to mention this. With my Sony 4 adapter I noticed both my 50 , 85 ZA 1.4 lensese my AF micro adjust jumped to + 18. Now I thought I did something wrong but I read a review of it on Amazon and another person said the same thing.

Now not mentioned in the video there is another thin plate that covers the springs. That I left in the mount. I. Wondering if I took that out if it would fix the front focusing.

I'll leave for now as I get a FE 16-35 Friday as a rental. See if I need to adjust that or not