The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumor: Pro FE mount coming

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here was my comment

I am a working Pro and use Sony cameras exclusively right now. But I have several issues with the A7r that I have to have a A77III as well. First the AF on the A77II has to make its way to the A7 series otherwise it's very handicapped. I can't do a lot of event, PR work with the A7r as focus tracking is just not up to par on the A7 series , so first it must get to the level or better with AF like the current A77II. Flash sync needs to get at least to 1/250 of a second, obviously it needs EFC as this is not acceptable on what the A7r is. I get by but I should not have to think about or deal with shutter vibration. The mount itself needs to beef up a great deal. I use several Canon TSE lenses that are very heavy and some big A mount glass. The entire body also can use a stronger build. It's about long term durability more than anything. Seriously we throw cameras all over the place in the heat of a battle.

Higher megapixels would not hurt us but the ability to shoot at a lower resolution raw to pick up camera speed and for certain things we simply don't need 50 mpx. So give us raw adjustability. Get totally rid of loose compression too. If you can't afford hard drives get the heck out of the business. Do not touch my bloody raws period. Lol

Obviously we need a LA-5 adapter to take fully advantage with A glass and the hundreds of focus points.

You can tell this has been on my mind. Lol

Obviously faster wider, longer lenses . Make two sets one without regard to size and weight and give us 1.4 glass than a set that either starts at 1.8 or F2 and be smaller and lighter. There serving several masters here not a clump of people. We have different needs

Paratom

I hope they integrate a useful autoiso function where one can choose a longest exp time other than 1/60.

tn1krr

Here was my comment

I am a working Pro and use Sony cameras exclusively right now. But I have several issues with the A7r that I have to have a A77III as well. First the AF on the A77II has to make its way to the A7 series otherwise it's very handicapped. I can't do a lot of event, PR work with the A7r as focus tracking is just not up to par on the A7 series , so first it must get to the level or better with AF like the current A77II. Flash sync needs to get at least to 1/250 of a second, obviously it needs EFC as this is not acceptable on what the A7r is. I get by but I should not have to think about or deal with shutter vibration. The mount itself needs to beef up a great deal. I use several Canon TSE lenses that are very heavy and some big A mount glass. The entire body also can use a stronger build. It's about long term durability more than anything. Seriously we throw cameras all over the place in the heat of a battle.

Higher megapixels would not hurt us but the ability to shoot at a lower resolution raw to pick up camera speed and for certain things we simply don't need 50 mpx. So give us raw adjustability. Get totally rid of loose compression too. If you can't afford hard drives get the heck out of the business. Do not touch my bloody raws period. Lol

Obviously we need a LA-5 adapter to take fully advantage with A glass and the hundreds of focus points.
Good stuff, I'm nowhere near pro yet a lot of there that an enthusiast would like to see too; EFCS (to address both shutter vibration and lag), AF enhancements, durability etc. clearly benefit everyone.

About the LA-EA5: the more I study this the more sceptic I become though I have a few nice A Mount lenses, the 70-400 G2 and the 85/1.4 ZA. I have the LA-EA4; it is size/thickness limited by the A and E mount flange distance differences. Not sure if it physically possible to get focus points needed for much-increased FF sensor coverage in there; there is a square small hole in there below the SLT mirror that receives the light for focus points. A99 type sensor coverage may be pushing physical limitations of what is available to adapter.

The other option is trying to focus A Mount "PDAF lenses" on the sensor. The location on sensor limits the size and cross-type etc. optimization of the PDAF focus points; there are no such limitations with SLT/flappy mirror. Due to this for most accurate focusing all current sensor-PDAF solutions use CDAF iteration of small focus movement in the final stage of focus tuning and in low light. Tradiotional DSLR lenses are not very good at this; they expect continuous distace information to go to set focus distance fast, no iteration as PDAF sensor is essentially rangefinder. Canon dual-pixel sensor-AF is workable when used with STM (Stepped Motor), it is quite bad with their fastest-focusing (when used with flappy-mirror PDAF) more traditional DSLR lenses. Micro-level CDAF iteration with screw mount 85/1.4 just does not sound like fast.

The FE 70-200/4 OSS for sensor-focusing is totally different construction with its dual AF motors (supposedly they are moving two different blocks of glass to minimize distances moved) from A Mount 70-200/2.8 SSM2. Different focus type seem to need different types of lens designs.

Maybe I should stop studying this as it looks more challenging the more I look into this. Please Sony, time to pull that rabbit out.

Paratom

....The FE 70-200/4 OSS for sensor-focusing is totally different construction with its dual AF motors (supposedly they are moving two different blocks of glass to minimize distances moved) from A Mount 70-200/2.8 SSM2. Different focus type seem to need different types of lens designs.
So what would this mean? Should the FE lens Focus faster or the A lens on an A7 Body?

By the way - why would one choose an FE-Body when one wants to use A-Mount lenses. Why not just use an A99 or A77II?

V

Vivek

Quiet shutter, Better EVF, Better Sensor Better mechanical build (no plastic mounts). I don't care about the AF. I will buy it from Asia (~ 500 Euros difference) or 6 months after the debut. The prices go down nicely and predictably. :)

tn1krr

So what would this mean? Should the FE lens Focus faster or the A lens on an A7 Body?

By the way - why would one choose an FE-Body when one wants to use A-Mount lenses. Why not just use an A99 or A77II?
FE lens is obviously faster on A7 body unless there is SLT-adapter present for A mount lens and any owner is quite aware of current SLT-adapter limitations (focus points in small group, microadjustment needed, no face detect/Eye-AF, low light performance copied from A65...). The CDAF iteration required has had big effect on FE 70-200 design, existing A Mount lens design assume PDAF focus system.

Personally using A Mount lenses on my A7R comes from the fact that there are no long teles or fast portrait lens > 55 mm available for FF E Mount. I adapt to use those lenses but they do not warrant a separate expensive body with the amount of use I have for them.

iiiNelson

I don't know that they could easily make it but I think a hybrid A/FE mount camera would be nice. I pro body with EFC, ~24-46 megapixels, weather sealed, shock resistant, and an upgraded EVF would all be nice to have too.

I wouldn't need 10+ FPS shooting. 3-6 would be enough for me but accuracy is what matters. One perfectly focus shot is worth more than 2 almost focused shots and 10 throwaways.

turtle

I hope this is true, because the FE mount is IMO just at the beginning of its journey. For me a responsive shutter with limited lag and electronic first curtain pumping out 6 fps would be a great start, along with 36 or so MP. More will be OK if there is the option of variable sized RAWs, in a better sealed and built body, with even higher resolution EVF and better ergonomics. HOwever, personally, I feel that 36MP is plenty for now, considering the lenses available. A silent shutter option is important too.

Uncompressed RAWs is not negotiable, like Guy says. If they fail to get this right I will honestly ask 'why on Earth not?'. It will make no sense, even if to silence the naysayers. Personally, I have not found an issue with the lossy RAWs.

I own the A7 and A7R, but would definitely consider a third body 12 months from now if it eats into DSLR territory from an overall functionality perspective.

I personally suspect that if Sony is going to give us a $3K body, they are going to make an impressive splash. Look what they managed to serve up with the $2K A7R... For me, the key will be not to squander too much of that extra $1000 in extra resolution that can only be laid down by a handful of lenses, but to put it into 'the integrated camera'. This is where Sony still has its (understandable) doubters and where Sony stands to win over new fans.

On the lens front, I cannot even begin to believe that there are more existing FE users wanting a 300mm prime than there are wanting a blinking 21 or 24mm lens for landscape and travel use (as suggested by the product developer in a recent interview).

Oh, and they should drop the silly orange ring around the lens mount too. There is nothing wrong with black, but if they want to be jazzy a graphite grey would be OK. If they want to go crazy, a very deep blue would work, but orange? Umm, no.

Guy Mancuso

If they make this than Im all in on FE. I really don't think most folks are asking for much , just some improvements and updates on the system. The good news here is Sony is pushing it hard . That can only mean good things for us.

Guy Mancuso

Price is not the real issue here and I know that may rub a lot of people the wrong way but if they are competitive with the upgrades and features i really don't care if it is 3k. Ill find the bloody money to buy it and most people will anyway even though they will balk like crazy they will pay. As long as they make it almost to the point that you compromise very very little.

Some things like dual card slots, uncompressed raws, maybe even built in grip for verticals, EFC, higher sync and much better AF than they can command a higher price. Okay flame suit on I don't even mind if it is a little bigger. Better battery would not offend me at all. LOL I only have 6 of them. ROTFLMAO

For me I so dearly want to have only FE mount cams. I love the A77II but I'm forced into two lens sets or have to buy for two lens sets. Came in point I would have loved to buy the new Loxia 50mm but it won't work on a A mount and that buying choice limits me.

V

Vivek

I don't have a problem with any price but I do have a problem with a huge price differential. Asian prices vs the EU ones. Absolutely no match even including the taxes etc.

I also hope they come up with an A7m (monochrome) cam. :)

Guy Mancuso

Agree it should be fair across the globe. I don't like the Euro folks paying far higher prices than US or Asian customers. Thats just not right

iiiNelson

Price is not the real issue here and I know that may rub a lot of people the wrong way but if they are competitive with the upgrades and features i really don't care if it is 3k. Ill find the bloody money to buy it and most people will anyway even though they will balk like crazy they will pay. As long as they make it almost to the point that you compromise very very little.

Some things like dual card slots, uncompressed raws, maybe even built in grip for verticals, EFC, higher sync and much better AF than they can command a higher price. Okay flame suit on I don't even mind if it is a little bigger. Better battery would not offend me at all. LOL I only have 6 of them. ROTFLMAO

For me I so dearly want to have only FE mount cams. I love the A77II but I'm forced into two lens sets or have to buy for two lens sets. Came in point I would have loved to buy the new Loxia 50mm but it won't work on a A mount and that buying choice limits me.
Yeah I think it's neccesary to have a larger body and faster lenses available. Nothing wrong with offering the slower f/2.8-4 stuff but it's really not of much use to me in reality except when I'm traveling and want a light kit. At my event shooting that I do, flash normally isn't allowed in the auditorium as there's usually video happening simultaneously. Offering f/1.4-2 lenses is a reality that Sony is going to have to offer as well even if it means larger lenses.

Some people bought into FE solely for size and other bought into it for flexibility in lenses as well.

V

Vivek

Agree it should be fair across the globe. I don't like the Euro folks paying far higher prices than US or Asian customers. Thats just not right
New Asian prices of the FE 55/1.8, for example, are lower than the cheapest used prices from the US (no, I will not supply any links. Use of an appropriate search engine will do the work)! Both US and EU prices are way higher. It is not right at all.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi Vivek, good to read you again !!

If we are talking about really expensive gear, it can be interesting to buy a ticket to Hong Kong and buy the gear there. Little to no chance you will be caught at the customs on entering your country ...

Buying via Internet in HK or similar, however, is much more dangerous ... even if the gear arrives in your country in good order, rest assured that the customs WILL intercept your parcel, and make you pay an amount of money that is even much higher than just the taxes. The Belgian customs did not miss any of my recent parcels from Asia, they are really "efficient" (not the kind of efficiency I like, however)

C U
Rafael

Guy Mancuso

Hi Vivek, good to read you again !!

If we are talking about really expensive gear, it can be interesting to buy a ticket to Hong Kong and buy the gear there. Little to no chance you will be caught at the customs on entering your country ...

Buying via Internet in HK or similar, however, is much more dangerous ... even if the gear arrives in your country in good order, rest assured that the customs WILL intercept your parcel, and make you pay an amount of money that is even much higher than just the taxes. The Belgian customs did not miss any of my recent parcels from Asia, they are really "efficient" (not the kind of efficiency I like, however)

C U
Rafael

I just hate when they do there job correctly. LOL