The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Sony A7II

dandrewk

Mine was shipped from BH, so I will be getting it tomorrow.

And wouldn't you know, the largest storm in five years is supposed to deluge California Thursday and Friday.

Then maybe some "wild climate" type shots. If not, then it's time for some "fun with Macro" around the house, with my (now stabilized! :D) Nikon 105mm Macro.

dandrewk

I've read in a few locations that third party lenses on the A7II will "only" have three axis stabilization. Does anyone know how they came to this conclusion? Is it done by testing or is there an icon in the EVF/LCD that has a "3" or a "5"?

iiiNelson

I've read in a few locations that third party lenses on the A7II will "only" have three axis stabilization. Does anyone know how they came to this conclusion? Is it done by testing or is there an icon in the EVF/LCD that has a "3" or a "5"?
I think everyone was hoping you'd confirm this since you MAY be the first with the camera in hand.

dandrewk

I think everyone was hoping you'd confirm this since you MAY be the first with the camera in hand.
I'll do my best, but absent an onscreen icon, I'm not sure how I could test for those extra two axis.

Especially indoors (due to the storm). Maybe I'll get my dog to run in circles around me while I pan. :D. It may not work, but I'll get dizzy and he'll have TONS of fun!

Picking mine up tomorrow at Precision.

All this talk about 5-axis vs 3 reminds me of how good the IBIS on the old A900 was and I'm pretty sure that was just 3-axis, no? A cool feature of IBIS on A-mount was the feedback bars that visually referenced how much the IBIS was active. Hoping the A7II has something similar but I haven't read anything that mentions it.

Annna T

Sonyalpharumors is quoting a French website : Les Numériques who got an interview with Sony engineers. I didn't read it all, but the URL is there if you want (Google translate can be your friend).
They confirm that lenses not feeding distance info to the body will only get a 3 axes stabilisation.

k-hawinkler

Sonyalpharumors is quoting a French website : Les Numériques who got an interview with Sony engineers. I didn't read it all, but the URL is there if you want (Google translate can be your friend).
They confirm that lenses not feeding distance info to the body will only get a 3 axes stabilisation.
Why? One can enter the value manually?

V

Vivek

Why? One can enter the value manually?
K-H, You can only enter the focal length of a lens but not the focused distance (Cf, the AF-D Nikkor, that D stands for distance. As you focus, the lens relays the focused distance to the camera. All modern lenses do that now.)

There could be real reasons why Sony disabled it.

k-hawinkler

K-H, You can only enter the focal length of a lens but not the focused distance (Cf, the AF-D Nikkor, that D stands for distance. As you focus, the lens relays the focused distance to the camera. All modern lenses do that now.)

There could be real reasons why Sony disabled it.

Thanks Vivek. Great point!
How then does IBIS work on my E-M5 and E-M1 for such lenses?

dandrewk

Picking mine up tomorrow at Precision.

All this talk about 5-axis vs 3 reminds me of how good the IBIS on the old A900 was and I'm pretty sure that was just 3-axis, no? A cool feature of IBIS on A-mount was the feedback bars that visually referenced how much the IBIS was active. Hoping the A7II has something similar but I haven't read anything that mentions it.
Agreed, and what I'd like to know (and maybe find out once I get the camera) is how much "extra" those two additional axis add. I plan to test the camera with the FE70-200, turning IBIS on/off, and see if the difference is noticeable.

jonoslack

Hmm. Picking mine up tomorrow from . Vivek, Michiel. I promise that if I don't like it I'll sneak away silently! I have high hopes though :)

V

Vivek

Hi Jono, I think you contributed (the other one being subscribers of a self declared know it all of all cameras gear), at least here, to the increased attention of the A7r. I will not take away from you! :)

Congrats on the 4th camera of the A7 series! :)

V

Vivek

The Leica M was developed for customers who want to put their excellent Leica R lenses to digital use. The new LEICA R Adapter for the first time gives users the option of deploying almost any Leica R lens ever built with their Leica M. The camera menu lists more than 20 different R lenses from wide-angle, telephoto and zoom through to macro lenses, including calibrated imaging workflow and EXIF lens detection. The wide selection of lenses opens up new application options to Leica M photographers including HD video recording in conjunction with the Leica R Vario lenses and using lenses with focal lengths longer than 135mm.
Whisper quiet shutter.

Beautiful adapter!

jonoslack

Whisper quiet shutter.

Beautiful adapter!

Which Shutter is that Vivek?
The adapter is really nicely made isn't it - they still feel rock solid if you stack them ( T adapter M / M adapter R (or macro adapter M)). you can criticise them for lots, but at least they do these properly

V

Vivek

Jono, The camera it was made for (see what I posted above that adapter which is a quote from Leica) to expressly use the fine R lenses. They have given a platform to use the R lenses in the new M.

Yes, beautiful adapter. Not just the looks but also functionally to keep the R lenses secured. The after market ones do not offer that.

sc_john

We'll see - I didn't mind the shutter noise with EFC on the A7 - the problem was using it with my nice longer R lenses - incidentally - I hope you got my PM?
Jono,

Are you referring to problems with EFC and R lenses? If so, what problem did you experience with longer R lenses? Thanks.

John