The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any comment on this discussion welcome

I did't like the Sony way of updating the FW even before knowing of this attack to the Sony servers. I never felt safe during the twenty min, or so, which are needed for the update.
It is much easier and safer to use SD cards to load the FW!

iiiNelson

Seems like an anti-Sony rant from someone on an agenda. The fact of the matter is in an increasingly electronically dependent world the risk of cyber attacks are increased for EVERYONE and that's not Sony exclusive.

As for Sony yes they have been subject to more notorious attacks (a couple of cyber attacks over the last few years to the Playstation Network and now Sony Pictures) than many other companies (or at least it's been more publicized.) In recent memory Microsoft, Target, Google, several banks, several credit card companies, several oil companies, etc. have all been subject to hacks and leaking of personal information (from hackers and potentially from state sponsored cyber attacks) which is the ultimate concern on a deeper level than just some simple firmware hysteria.

Last edited:

johnnygoesdigital

Seems like an anti-Sony rant from someone on an agenda. The fact of the matter is in an increasingly electronically dependent world the risk of cyber attacks are increased for EVERYONE and that's not Sony exclusive.

As for Sony yes they have been subject to more notorious attacks (a couple of cyber attacks over the last few years to the Playstation Network and now Sony Pictures) than many other companies (or at least it's been more publicized.) In recent memory Microsoft, Target, Google, several banks, several credit card companies, several oil companies, etc. have all been subject to hacks and leaking of personal information (from hackers and potentially from state sponsored cyber attacks) which is the ultimate concern on a deeper level than just some simple firmware hysteria.
The scope of the Sony hack doesn't seem to suggest an agenda at all and your examples of other companies doesn't make it any less important either.

What's more insane is that Peter Lik just sold a photo for 6.5 millon dollars!

iiiNelson

The scope of the Sony hack doesn't seem to suggest an agenda at all and your examples of other companies doesn't make it any less important either.

We will just have to agree to disagree...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Maybe not Johnnie but it is the continually of all things Sony does wrong and the repeative nature of it. It's completely turned me off and my respect is now zilch.

And I never say anything about others, so this tells you something if I open my big trap.

iiiNelson

Maybe not Johnnie but it is the continually of all things Sony does wrong and the repeative nature of it. It's completely turned me off and my respect is now zilch.

And I never say anything about others, so this tells you something if I open my big trap.
Exactly and I think that speaks to all the things that Sony is doing right even when there are key areas of improvement that can/should be addressed.

People went from all but completely ignoring them when the A system was all they had to spending every waking moment picking apart why no one should buy one because it goes against the established standards. This tells me they are closing in on the revolutionizing of "industry norms" when the Canon rumor sites are promising a mirrorless FF EOS body and even the diehard Canon guys at FM are buying them for their landscape/tripod bodies. I think it's a great time for consumers and if nothing else we should be happy it took something like the FE system to light a fire under the established brands to innovate.

In chess they call this a "check" but I wouldn't say that Sony is close to a "checkmate" yet because people are emotionally (and more importantly financially) invested in their system brands. Sony still has to build that ecosystem but I do see a shift in strategy living with Sony's as an alternative system for me since the original NEX-5 was released. Some people are just hellbent/quick to bring up their past v. see the progress no matter how many roadmaps, strategies, lens reviews, reactive body improvements based on user feedback, etc are released.

Slingers

I work in IT and I would have no hesitation in installing Sony firmware. Nowadays a lot of people think they are experts in IT and those of us that are often have to come in and clean up the mistakes made by these experts. Those are the jobs I cringe at when I'm asked to do. This is the feeling I get from this article.