Site Sponsors

Thread: Contax g 45mm on A7R

Post Thanks / Like

Contax g 45mm on A7R

On the other posts, there were some questions. Not to divert the discussion there, I am posting here.

I read that contax g 45mm is similar to ZM 50 planar. It was the second sharpest lens tested on film by photodo. I prefer 45mm to 55mm for walking out and also the smaller size helps. Here is a comparison to other 35mm Sony/Zeiss lenses (g35mm and g45mm are same sizes):

Here are some g45mm shots with A7R using af adapter:

on nex-6:

Lots of cat shots, but these should show the bokeh characteristics...
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Contax g 45mm on A7R

Quote Originally Posted by serhan View Post

Lots of cat shots, but these should show the bokeh characteristics...
    I do not see any purple fringing at all in those backlit cat shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice. The lens and AF adapter seem like a great combination.

JIm

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just a word of caution to those using the older, version 2 (Eagle) TechArt Contax G to NEX adapter with newer full frame Sony cameras. I put my Eagle adapter on the Sony A7II with a 45 G lens and noticed that it was producing low resolution raw files (about 10mp instead of 24). Checked my menu settings and noticed that APS-C Size Capture was on AUTO. Turned it to OFF and files are then back to normal 24 mp size. Apparently the camera sees the adapter as an APS-C lens and will reduce file size if the menu function for APS-C File size is on AUTO.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Just a word of caution to those using the older, version 2 (Eagle) TechArt Contax G to NEX adapter with newer full frame Sony cameras. I put my Eagle adapter on the Sony A7II with a 45 G lens and noticed that it was producing low resolution raw files (about 10mp instead of 24). Checked my menu settings and noticed that APS-C Size Capture was on AUTO. Turned it to OFF and files are then back to normal 24 mp size. Apparently the camera sees the adapter as an APS-C lens and will reduce file size if the menu function for APS-C File size is on AUTO.
    The other word of caution is to make sure all lens compensations are set to off in the Sony menu.

The adapter is recognized as a 16mm lens and the camera applies heavy adjustments that will generate a halo effect around the vignetting area.

Post Thanks / Like

I am using ver 3 now. I had the ver I and was working fine with nex 6 but it shortcircuited 2 A7R's since the adapter was a little loose in A7R mouth. Ver 3 has faster af and also produced for FF. You can upgrade your ver I & II adapters also:
    Upgrade to DEO-Tech (Contax G to Sony E) Autofocus adapter Mark 3! | DEO Tech