Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Canon EF adapters

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Canon EF adapters

    Hello Sony forum.

    Sorry if this is a rather basic question but I know nothing about Sony cameras as I've been a very content Canon 1Ds3/TS-E shooter. I was going to upgrade to the 5Ds but now I've seen the specs of the A7RII I've decided to wave good bye to Canon camera bodies and pre-order the new Sony camera.

    The plan is to get a Cambo Actus but until their Canon EF lens adapter is ready I'm holding off on that purchase and looking for a regular adapter for my Canon glass. Obviously I've seem Metabones adapters mentioned many times but for some reason here in the UK most of the usual sellers don't stock them (?) and further investigation (Amazon) brought up many different manufacturers doing Canon EF to E mount adapters and at a massively reduced in price.

    Anyone offer any insight into which adapter to go for or just stick to the most obvious and well known Metabones? Worth noting, I don't use AF with the TS-E lenses so paying more for an adapter with better AF performance is of little importance to me but compatibility with tilt shift lenses is.

    Thanks, Gareth.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Hello Sony forum.

    Sorry if this is a rather basic question but I know nothing about Sony cameras as I've been a very content Canon 1Ds3/TS-E shooter. I was going to upgrade to the 5Ds but now I've seen the specs of the A7RII I've decided to wave good bye to Canon camera bodies and pre-order the new Sony camera.

    The plan is to get a Cambo Actus but until their Canon EF lens adapter is ready I'm holding off on that purchase and looking for a regular adapter for my Canon glass. Obviously I've seem Metabones adapters mentioned many times but for some reason here in the UK most of the usual sellers don't stock them (?) and further investigation (Amazon) brought up many different manufacturers doing Canon EF to E mount adapters and at a massively reduced in price.

    Anyone offer any insight into which adapter to go for or just stick to the most obvious and well known Metabones? Worth noting, I don't use AF with the TS-E lenses so paying more for an adapter with better AF performance is of little importance to me but compatibility with tilt shift lenses is.

    Thanks, Gareth.
    i just fall foul of the adaptor last week. without reading the description in details. i bought a yougnuo adpator, and only to find out that it is in fact...an APS-C only adaptor..... so while i cant tell you exactly which brand to go for, just be ware that there are some adaptors on the market that are still APS-C only.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    How do I know if its an APS-C adapter as I thought if it says for Sony Alpha then its full frame........ Very confusing???

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    How do I know if its an APS-C adapter as I thought if it says for Sony Alpha then its full frame........ Very confusing???
    im afriad im on the same boat. i bought mine through ebay, the yougnuo adaptor actually tells you A7r is compatible....in APS-c only mode. i fear a lot of the advert/amazon listings are play on words telling you A7r is compatiable but dont mention about APS-C mode.... but i will keep trying, since i still have to fail 5 times before the cost equal to a metabone
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    I have two EF adapters, a metabones and a viltrox, and both have the same functionality. When looking for full frame coverage, the apsc adapters will have a baffle on the bayonet where the full frame adapters will have very minimal plastic on the bayonet and most just the electronic contacts.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    I use the Canon 17 and 24mm II TSE lenses on the A7R with the latest metabones adapter. I also have the A7RII on order.You need to be aware of the following:

    1. The firmware of the latest Metabones adapters can be upgraded by the user (there's a usb port on the side of the adapter). That's of particular relevance since the A7RII is a new camera which very few people have see let alone used with an adapter. There are few, if any of the other adapters that can be upgraded in this way. (There may be one that can be upgraded by WIFI/NFC, I'm not sure).

    2. The latest Metabones adapter has a widened redesigned internal throat/aperture to reduce vignetting and flare with tilt shift lenses. Some people have still found it advantageous to add flocking to the internal surfaces of the adapter.

    I've found the fit of Metabones to be somewhat variable with some being very tight. I have 3 adapters 2 of which are early versions and have to be returned to the manufacturer for firmware upgrading.

    At the moment I think the biggest unknown is that the camera is new and we won't find the adapter/camera bugs yet. I agree, there's a very big price difference between Metabones and others and if you don't need autofocus maybe it's worth taking the risk of a cheaper alternative provided the alternatives allow tilt/shift.

    Bob.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Thanks for the replies everyone.

    Yes, one of my worries was compatibility with the new camera but I've not sen any mention of problems when the A7II launched so thought I might try one of the cheaper adapters first. After all, its just a tie over until Cambo or Arca comes up with a working Canon smart lens mount for their mini view cameras.

    Looking at a couple of online reviews, many report the difference between the Metabone and cheaper alternatives is price alone. The Commlite (Amazon) adapter seems to work better than the Metabones in some instances if shooting video and avoids the flash if opening up the lens aperture however, I've not seen any instances of people using TS-E lenses when comparing the adapters only regular zoom lenses.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

    Yes, one of my worries was compatibility with the new camera but I've not sen any mention of problems when the A7II launched so thought I might try one of the cheaper adapters first. After all, its just a tie over until Cambo or Arca comes up with a working Canon smart lens mount for their mini view cameras.

    Looking at a couple of online reviews, many report the difference between the Metabone and cheaper alternatives is price alone. The Commlite (Amazon) adapter seems to work better than the Metabones in some instances if shooting video and avoids the flash if opening up the lens aperture however, I've not seen any instances of people using TS-E lenses when comparing the adapters only regular zoom lenses.
    I think that the main issue will be to get maximum aperture at the bayonnet level, aka no baffle. All these adapters are available on Ebay and the offering is often completed by a lot of pictures. You should compare the pictures of the Metabones Canon to Sony FE smart adapter version IV and those of other potential candidates. If there is no pictures showing how wide the opening will be, don't buy. If the opening isn't as wide as that of the last Metabones, then don't buy.

    I own a Metabones version III and have two TSE lenses : the 90mm and the 24mm (version one, not two). I know that the 24mm v II is much better than the first version, but it is also considerably heavier. The performance of the version one in the corners isn't extraordinary, but I've come to wonder whether just updating the Metabones adapter won't take care of part of the problem. If I decide to update to the 24mm V2, then I would need an updated adapter anyway. But some photographers also have had good experiences with other brands of smart adapters, so I'm also on the look out. I'm happy with the A7r and don't plan to get the A7rII. The advantage of smartadapaters over the usual dumb adapter is that you can adjust the aperture using the body (since there is no aperture riing on Canon EOS lenses). Plus the EXIF info will be stored in the pictures.

    Right now, Canon is offering cashback on some lenses, but never on the TSE lenses, at least not here where I live. Recently they had a rebate on the 17mm TSE (which you could get for the same price as the 24mm) but there is no rebate, no cashback on the 24mm (which would trigger my will to update).

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Right now, Canon is offering cashback on some lenses, but never on the TSE lenses, at least not here where I live. Recently they had a rebate on the 17mm TSE (which you could get for the same price as the 24mm) but there is no rebate, no cashback on the 24mm (which would trigger my will to update).
    Cash back or no cash back, the 17mm and 24mm Mk2 TS-E lenses (along with the older 90mm) is the sole reason why I shoot Canon and why I've stuck with them for so many years regardless of the nay sayers. Using lens adapters does not thrill me in the slightest and why I didn't bother with the Sony A7R but with the release of the Cambo Actus (and soon Canon lens mount) have fueled my interest, especially considering the flexibility of lens choice when using a mirrorless camera.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Looking at a couple of online reviews, many report the difference between the Metabone and cheaper alternatives is price alone. The Commlite (Amazon) adapter seems to work better than the Metabones in some instances if shooting video and avoids the flash if opening up the lens aperture however, I've not seen any instances of people using TS-E lenses when comparing the adapters only regular zoom lenses.
    I don't feel that I can trust many of the online reviews because I don't think they critically check for focus issues caused by imprecision in manufacturing. It seems like they mostly put the lens on the adapter and see if the AF button operates. Some reviewers test for flare and I've found that very helpful.

    What concerns me is that there is a huge variability in fit issues especially with the Metabones (the other adapters may have it too but with less reports because they are less popular). Also some individuals have reported expensive damage to their lens due to the adapter.
    Stephen Bay
    bayimages.net
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Gareth, if you do think about getting the Cambo Actus with the Canon EF lens board make sure that you have some way of electrically setting the aperture on EF lenses. As far as I can tell the Cambo lens board doesn't have this facility. The only solution I know of is to mount the EF lens on a Metabones adapter which is mounted on a Sony camera, set the aperture, and without switching the camera off remove the lens - the aperture remains set. You can also do the same trick with the lens on a Canon body. Unless I'm missing something, this is a severe limitation to using EF lenses on the Actus.

    Bob.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Parsons View Post
    Gareth, if you do think about getting the Cambo Actus with the Canon EF lens board make sure that you have some way of electrically setting the aperture on EF lenses.
    Hi Bob, my interest in the Actus with the Canon lens board is they are incorporating lens aperture control into it so gone are the issues with setting aperture on a different camera body.

    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    230
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    I recently exited my Leica kit for a A7r primarily so I could go back to the Canon TSEs. Use the latest version of Metabones adaptor with no problems. Have the 24+45+90 TSEs, passed on the 17 because I have the Zeiss 15 2.8. Metabones, while expensive, works perfectly for me and I had no problem stumping up the cash for one because it was the price of entry to use TSEs again.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    How do I know if its an APS-C adapter as I thought if it says for Sony Alpha then its full frame........ Very confusing???
    make sure the adapter description says for full frame, or for FE mount as opposed to just Emount.

    If there are images of the adapter, check the size of the round hole, the larger ones are more likely to support full frame, rather the adapters with a smaller square window inside.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Hi Bob, my interest in the Actus with the Canon lens board is they are incorporating lens aperture control into it so gone are the issues with setting aperture on a different camera body.


    Thanks for that, this is very interesting indeed, but I looked at B&H and, compared to other lens plates available, they are asking a prohibitive price for the Canon one : aka 1300$ compared to 165$ to 460$ for the other five lens plates. That is three times as much as the most expensive other (the Mamiya).

    Cambo ACTUS-B View Camera Body (Black) 99010700 B&H Photo Video

    (Click on the accessory tab to see the prices of the different lens plates)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Thanks for that, this is very interesting indeed, but I looked at B&H and, compared to other lens plates available, they are asking a prohibitive price for the Canon one : aka 1300$ compared to 165$ to 460$ for the other five lens plates. That is three times as much as the most expensive other (the Mamiya).
    Yes it is very expensive and more than I was hoping when I spoke a UK Cambo dealer a few weeks back (near the cost of the Actus camera) but if it works imagine the possibilities. Just think of all those 35mm EF mount zoom lenses that potentially become TS-E lenses or some top end primes that perform better at f5.6-f8 getting the ability to tilt or swing for increased DOF. Sounds like a bargain to me then.

    The only problem is the release has been delayed due to manufacturing issues. Now having no set release date I'm resorting to finding a regular lens adapter for use with the A7R II as a tie me over that eventually will remain in the once used camera cupboard once Cambo figures out their Canon adapter.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Yes it is very expensive and more than I was hoping when I spoke a UK Cambo dealer a few weeks back (near the cost of the Actus camera) but if it works imagine the possibilities. Just think of all those 35mm EF mount zoom lenses that potentially become TS-E lenses or some top end primes that perform better at f5.6-f8 getting the ability to tilt or swing for increased DOF. Sounds like a bargain to me then.

    The only problem is the release has been delayed due to manufacturing issues. Now having no set release date I'm resorting to finding a regular lens adapter for use with the A7R II as a tie me over that eventually will remain in the once used camera cupboard once Cambo figures out their Canon adapter.
    I know that some wa zooms have a rather large image circle, but don't you think that this imaging circle will still be limiting the movements you can get with the Actus ? Obviously not for the TSE, but I'd be doubtful about other EF lenses.

    There is an interesting thread in this forum (HCAM TMaster) where Stefan Steib and other measured the movements available with some lenses like the Nikon 11-24mm zoom and the shift available could go as low as 6mm at the longer focals.

    Will look for a link to this thread : http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/545...11-24mm-2.html
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,387
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I know that some wa zooms have a rather large image circle, but don't you think that this imaging circle will still be limiting the movements you can get with the Actus ?
    Who knows and all part of the fun of owning an Actus and rediscovering all your lenses again.

    The main part of me wanting the Actus is so I can get shifts together with rise or fall without having to resort to diagonal movements (which do work well) on the TS-E lenses. Additionally it would be nice to have movements at the sensor rather than the lens for better stitching just as I used to get with my Arca/Phase combo.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    596
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    The reason I purchased an A7R was for the high resolution in combination with Canon TSE 17 and 24 lenses.
    I purchased a Metabones IV adapter to fit the lenses to the camera.
    As illustrated in the blog post, I've not had a problem with the Metabones adapter causing problems when the lenses are shifted to an extreme.

    Panorama with three images - blog

    I also have an inexpensive Fotodiox adapter that I use with a couple of Canon lenses for handheld work. I haven't tried the TSE lenses because the tripod mount isn't steady enough.

    The Metabones IV adapter, when the latest firmware (V .41) will now recognize aperture and IS control for the Canon 300 F4.0 IS L lens. It even works when using a Sigma teleconverter.

    Here is a blog post showing my initial test results.

    Sony A7II, Metabones IV, Canon EF 300mm F4.0 IS L and Sigma Teleconverters - digifotografi
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Good you are having better luck with your MB smart adapter iv. I am still having issues where the camera will simply lock up when the shutter is depressed with my Canon 300 F4L IS USM when used on my Nex 5r. This does not occur when I use my other Canon lenses like the 16-35 F4L IS USM, 50mm f1.2L or 24-105 F4L IS USM.

  21. #21
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Awsome thread, thanks to all for sharing this information!

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    35
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Looks like Metabones has a new version of the IV adapter that comes flocked: http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB-EF-E-BT4
    Stephen Bay
    bayimages.net

  23. #23
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Does anyone know if there is any other adapter out there that allows updated other than the metabones?

    Has anyone tested this guy out? I'm specially interested in tests with FE cameras.

    - DEO-Tech Falcon Canon EF Mount Lens to Sony NEX DEOCEF2SEMK2 B&H
    - DEO-Tech CANON EOS EF to SONY E / FE AF Adapter Mark 3 [Falcon]
    Last edited by Rawfa; 11th July 2015 at 02:16.

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Does anyone know if there is any other adapter out there that allows updated other than the metabones?

    Has anyone tested this guy out? I'm specially interested in tests with FE cameras.

    - DEO-Tech Falcon Canon EF Mount Lens to Sony NEX DEOCEF2SEMK2 B&H
    - DEO-Tech CANON EOS EF to SONY E / FE AF Adapter Mark 3 [Falcon]
    I believe the consensus is that Metabones makes the best Canon EF->Sony FE smart adapter. I believe that company makes an AF Contax G->Sony FE adapter with "mixed" performance.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    A request for help, from a (potential) newbie to all this... .

    I'm considering switching from Canon EOS (FF) to Sony A7, and I'd like to retain use of my EF prime lenses, but I'm having trouble finding out whether this is possible (and practicable).

    Is there an adapter available that will provide truly normal aperture functionality for EOS lenses on the A7 series? I'm not so concerned about AF, since I often prefer to focus manually, but if the adapter also permits AF, then that's fine too. I would not keep an EOS body, so the palaver involving setting the aperture on an EOS body, before using the lens, is out of the question for me.

    Any help gratefully received... TIA.

  26. #26
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
    A request for help, from a (potential) newbie to all this... .

    I'm considering switching from Canon EOS (FF) to Sony A7, and I'd like to retain use of my EF prime lenses, but I'm having trouble finding out whether this is possible (and practicable).

    Is there an adapter available that will provide truly normal aperture functionality for EOS lenses on the A7 series? I'm not so concerned about AF, since I often prefer to focus manually, but if the adapter also permits AF, then that's fine too. I would not keep an EOS body, so the palaver involving setting the aperture on an EOS body, before using the lens, is out of the question for me.

    Any help gratefully received... TIA.
    There are two kinds of adapters : smart adapters and dumb adapters.
    The first ones allow you to : 1) control aperture on the A7 bodies. 2) get the Exif info in your pictures (lens used and aperture). 3) get the OIS working on lenses offering that possibility. 4) get AF, but on the A7r, the focusing operations while producing correct results are very slow. Aka, forget anything that moves, or that you can't prefocus on. The A7rII is supposed to be much faster even with Canon adapted lenses. But from the few videos I have seen, although the AF speed is much improved with respect to the older A7bodies, they aren't yet matching native lenses.

    The most known smart adapters are the Metabones. Make sure that you get the last 4th version. They are expensive however. I own a version three, because I was a rather early adopter (and transfuge from Canon). There is at least another brand (Comlite ?) but I have no experience with it.

    The dumb adapters are much cheaper (and probably also lighter), but you are stuck for aperture.. Beware that some adapters will be offering aperture control on the adapter.. But usually they only add a diaphragm inside of the adapter causing vignetting at best, or even IQ degradation in the corners. They won't control the aperture of the lens itself.

    I own an A7r since March 2014 and I'm really enjoying it (I do still have a 6D, but almost didn't use it since I got the A7r). I love everything from the mirrorless bodies. In particular the EVF and the small light bodies. I don't use much of my Canon lenses on the A7r, but mine weren't that good : the 16-35mm F2.8 version I for instance is not as good as the Sony 16-35mm F4, even for astrophotography. One lens I like is the Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 macro. Plus the TSE lenses. The 70-200mm F4 however produce better results than the Sony FE 70-200mm F4 which is bigger and heavier.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    There are two kinds of adapters : smart adapters and dumb adapters.
    The first ones allow you to : 1) control aperture on the A7 bodies. 2) get the Exif info in your pictures (lens used and aperture). 3) get the OIS working on lenses offering that possibility. 4) get AF, but on the A7r, the focusing operations while producing correct results are very slow. Aka, forget anything that moves, or that you can't prefocus on. The A7rII is supposed to be much faster even with Canon adapted lenses. But from the few videos I have seen, although the AF speed is much improved with respect to the older A7bodies, they aren't yet matching native lenses.

    The most known smart adapters are the Metabones. Make sure that you get the last 4th version. They are expensive however. I own a version three, because I was a rather early adopter (and transfuge from Canon). There is at least another brand (Comlite ?) but I have no experience with it.

    The dumb adapters are much cheaper (and probably also lighter), but you are stuck for aperture.. Beware that some adapters will be offering aperture control on the adapter.. But usually they only add a diaphragm inside of the adapter causing vignetting at best, or even IQ degradation in the corners. They won't control the aperture of the lens itself.

    I own an A7r since March 2014 and I'm really enjoying it (I do still have a 6D, but almost didn't use it since I got the A7r). I love everything from the mirrorless bodies. In particular the EVF and the small light bodies. I don't use much of my Canon lenses on the A7r, but mine weren't that good : the 16-35mm F2.8 version I for instance is not as good as the Sony 16-35mm F4, even for astrophotography. One lens I like is the Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 macro. Plus the TSE lenses. The 70-200mm F4 however produce better results than the Sony FE 70-200mm F4 which is bigger and heavier.

    Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply.

    The "dumb" adapters are definitely out, for me, because of the aperture problem. I'll investigate the "smart" ones, and see what more I can learn, and what their prices are. The price is relevant (isn't it always?!), with regard to making the whole endeavour worthwhile... if it's too much, I might simply stay with Canon for FF purposes.

    Thanks again, Annna T, for taking the time to help - it's much appreciated.

  28. #28
    Senior Member Annna T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Swiss Alps
    Posts
    1,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by tbhv55 View Post
    Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply.

    The "dumb" adapters are definitely out, for me, because of the aperture problem. I'll investigate the "smart" ones, and see what more I can learn, and what their prices are. The price is relevant (isn't it always?!), with regard to making the whole endeavour worthwhile... if it's too much, I might simply stay with Canon for FF purposes.

    Thanks again, Annna T, for taking the time to help - it's much appreciated.
    I forgot one important thing : A7 bodies feature an E mount, aka exactly the same mount as the Nex and other mirrorless APSC models like the A6000. But you gave to make sure that you get an adapter compatible with FE mounts. Some adapters made for earlier for APSC E mounts may not have a wide enough aperture, with internal baffles producing vignetting on the A7 FF bodies. Look on eBay : vendors often produces many pictures of what they are selling and you may be able to look in the middle and compare the different adapters. If the adapter us too cheap, it may be because it is not fully compatible with a FF, or not the last version.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Canon EF adapters

    Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I forgot one important thing : A7 bodies feature an E mount, aka exactly the same mount as the Nex and other mirrorless APSC models like the A6000. But you gave to make sure that you get an adapter compatible with FE mounts. Some adapters made for earlier for APSC E mounts may not have a wide enough aperture, with internal baffles producing vignetting on the A7 FF bodies. Look on eBay : vendors often produces many pictures of what they are selling and you may be able to look in the middle and compare the different adapters. If the adapter us too cheap, it may be because it is not fully compatible with a FF, or not the last version.
    That's great - thanks again for yet more useful information.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •