The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rokinon 135mm f/2 on Sony A7RII

dmward

Finally got the file to open in Safari on an iMAC with 27 in monitor.
At 1:1 in preview I can not see any problematic moire. There are some areas where there is subtile blue stripes that seem not to be accurate to the color of the shirt. There also appears to be some chromatic fringing between the blue gray and neon green under armor logo.

I wonder how much moire appearing on our computer screens has to do with the graphics processor, screen size and resolution rather than the file itself.

There are probably some sizes below 1:1 that will cause moire on a given screen with given processing parameters from the raw converter to JPG.

It is a sharp lens.

Another wide open shot. This lens is crazy sharp. I have seen only the slightest longitudinal CA. Such great glass for the money!

_DSC4579
by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

You are getting wonderful images! I assume these were handheld with the manual setting for IBIS?

My A7RII got shipped by ground instead of 2day. A very rare Amazon error. The emailed invoice clearly states: 2day. I gave them some polite feedback that they had a glitch in the system. They apologized and extended my Prime membership by one month.

I am very torn. I do not really need any more resolution than the A7 has, but the IBIS and the ability to shoot ridiculous high iso is very tempting... All the other advantages are frosting on the cake as well. I also have to admit that, aside from simple gear lust, the capability to throw away resolution in downsizing for enhanced noise reduction is also tempting.

Being addicted to photography is only slightly less expensive than drug addiction... :)

Thanks!

Here are the raw files for anyone who would like to examine them: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B93HF6w-u-VXUW5rRWVJdGZnbEE/view?usp=sharing

In addition to the ones shown above, there is a dedicated bokeh series (f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6) and sharpness series (f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8, f/11) in that download.
Very nice work!
I do want to warn you, though. In the Bokeh series, the top link in that chain looks like it is ready to snap! Actually, it seems to be the plastic coating that is cracking, but you might want to take a peek inside to see just how much corrosion is going on in there. :) :)

Is this the level of nit picking we are going to experience now? This is just crazy resolution. In your resolution series, even at f2.0, where the focus will not be perfect across the front of the building, you can see grain in the door (under the paint). Stopping it down a few notches makes it almost a forensic record of the building.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together. Even though I have the lens, I am still waiting for the new beast to arrive.
I plan to test against some of my old classic lenses. At f8 and smaller apertures, I expect they will all look pretty good, but it will still be interesting.