The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

Turkey Vulture at Bandelier National Monument, NM

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS @ ISO 1000, FOCAL LENGTH 400.0 mm (400.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/5.6, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00313s (1/320)

k-hawinkler

Here is a shot with A7r2, FE 100-400, 1.4x TC and plenty of time to focus.
But I was losing too many shots due to focus hunting, low frame rate, and slow buffer emptying.
So I prefer to use the A9 in situations in which those things matter.

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 1.4X Teleconverter @ ISO 1600, FOCAL LENGTH 560.0 mm (560.0 mm in 35mm). APERTURE f/8, EXPOSURE TIME 0.00156s (1/640)

V

Vivek

It will be interesting to find out how the "game changer" RX10 IV stacks up against this combo. :)

V

Vivek

Thanks for the information, K-H. One more on the A9-

Does the mech shutter in the A9 have IR lights to control the shutter speeds like the one in the A7r II? One way to directly check this would be with an IR converted camera.

The IR light is problematic for "full spectrum" or IR conversion of a stock camera.

TIA!

Well the FE 1.4x TC seems to fit between A7r2 and TAP but didn't AF.
So could someone else please try to verify this . TIA.

k-hawinkler

Two images from this evening with A7r and 100-400/4.5-5.6 FE GM OSS. I must be spoiled by the AF performance of my A9 and had forgotten about the A7r being AF challenged by scenes like this. :D

I like going back to use fairly recent cameras and being astonished anew how rapid the progress is currently being made. :)

k-hawinkler

I would like to describe how my two TAP adapters behave on my A7rII and A9.
But first recall from the TECHART LM-EA7 Mount Adaptor Operrating instructions this page:

It shows the F-number settings one can choose to accomplish certain things.
I have in both cameras set F36 and shot an image.
Then either chosen F25 or F29 for my adapted lenses, shot a white image, and dialed the camera F-number to 2 and left it there.
As we know the actual F-number is mechanically set on the adapted lens.
I am using A mode, AF-C, and Flexible Spot S.

Cameras switched off, then attaching the TAP with lens.
Now, when I switch on the cameras, the TAP pushes out and then retracts, ready to be used with AF.
Now when switching a camera off, the TAP retracts all the way to the infinity focus position.
So far as I had expected.

Switching the camera back on, I hear a little noise, but the TAP doesn't push out the lens.
It simply stays at the retracted infinity position.
However, the TAP is nevertheless ready to be used with AF.
Simply point the lens at something and halfway press the shutter button. It autofocuses just fine.
Switch camera off and on, the same pattern happens again, etc. :)

Now switch camera off, detach the TAP just a bit so that there is no electrical contact, then attach again fully.
When switching the camera now on, the TAP pushes out and retracts, same behavior as when first attaching the TAP to the camera.

One more AF observation. The A9 with TAP successfully focuses in dim light when the A7rII is unable to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I would like to address an additional unrelated point when using lots of lenses with different focal lengths.
In this case it would be advantageous if one didn't have to use the Menu to switch IBIS on or off, or select the proper IBIS focal length.
In the following chart I show how to accomplish that for the A7rII and A9:

Of course Sony calls IBIS SteadyShot. One has to use 3 buttons to completely control SteadyShot without consulting the Menu.

The chart also shows my settings for the A7r and the a6300 that don't have IBIS=SteadyShot functionality.
While the A7r cannot be used with the TAP, the a6300 has support for the TAP.
The a6300 behaves similarly with TAP as the above described FF Sony cameras.
It also has the better AF in dim light, similar to the A9.

One more thing. I first have to attach the TAP to the a6300 before I attach the Meike battery grip.
Otherwise the Meike battery grip interferes with attaching the TAP. Such is life! Oh well. :(
BTW there is no such interference with the battery grip on the A7rII or A9.

AF/MF Ctrl Toggle is useful to switch back and forth between AF and MF.
Focus Magnifier for me is essential when using MF.
And finally the In-Camera Guide is handy when in the Menu.

k-hawinkler

Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2, AI-s version (1982-1997): 9 straight blades.

At this url

http://www.nikkor.com/story/0016/

used to be a paper, written by the Nikon engineers that designed the original Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 lens.
The paper explained how an aspherical lens element was used to reduce/eliminate sagittal coma flare.
Unfortunately Nikon removed this important historical document as part of their 100th anniversary celebration. :banghead:

According to http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/58.htm there were two versions, namely the:

• AI version (1977-1981): 7 somewhat rounded blades, production volume about 2,500 lenses.
• AI-s version (1982-1997): 9 straight blades, production volume about 9,000 lenses.

I have the later version with 9 straight blades.
The Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 is quite different from the recent AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens.

According to KenRockwell, quote:

"The 58mm f/1.2 Noct-NIKKOR is very special aspherical lens that was designed expressly for photography that involves brilliant points of light against dark backgrounds at large apertures."

The TechArt Pro (TAP) autofocus adapter, used on my Sony A7rII, A9, and a6300 cameras, turns this manual only lens into an AF experience, so that finally one can achieve in-focus images even with an wide open aperture.

As this lens is fairly unique and has become a collectors item, I thought it might be of interest to show a variety of images I have taken with that special lens.

The first image is a panorama of 3 images.

Sony ILCE-9 + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ ISO 1600, FOCAL LENGTH 58.0 mm (58.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/5.6, EXPOSURE TIME 0.01667s (1/60).

k-hawinkler

Sony ILCE-9 + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ ISO 1600, FOCAL LENGTH 58.0 mm (58.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/5.6, EXPOSURE TIME 0.01667s (1/60).

k-hawinkler

Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2, AI-s version (1982-1997): 9 straight blades.

At this url

http://www.nikkor.com/story/0016/

used to be a paper, written by the Nikon engineers that designed the original Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 lens.
The paper explained how an aspherical lens element was used to reduce/eliminate sagittal coma flare.
Unfortunately Nikon removed this important historical document as part of their 100th anniversary celebration. :banghead:

According to http://kenrockwell.com/nikon/58.htm there were two versions, namely the:

• AI version (1977-1981): 7 somewhat rounded blades, production volume about 2,500 lenses.
• AI-s version (1982-1997): 9 straight blades, production volume about 9,000 lenses.

I have the later version with 9 straight blades.
The Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 is quite different from the recent AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G lens.

According to KenRockwell, quote:

"The 58mm f/1.2 Noct-NIKKOR is very special aspherical lens that was designed expressly for photography that involves brilliant points of light against dark backgrounds at large apertures."

The TechArt Pro (TAP) autofocus adapter, used on my Sony A7rII, A9, and a6300 cameras, turns this manual only lens into an AF experience, so that finally one can achieve in-focus images even with an wide open aperture.

As this lens is fairly unique and has become a collectors item, I thought it might be of interest to show a variety of images I have taken with that special lens.

The first image is a panorama of 3 images.

Thanks to RnRau http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1509357/1#14192772 for pointing to the new url, quote:

NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights No.13

An aspherical surface got over sagittal coma flare
AI Noct Nikkor 58mm F1.2
This time I'm going to discuss a standard lens using an aspherical surface, the Ai Noct NIKKOR 58mm f/1.2 following the 6th Tale discussed "the world's first aspherical SLR lens," OP Fisheye-Nikkor 10mm f/5.6.
by Kouichi Ohshita

http://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0016/index.htm

k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler

Here are two images shot with Sony ILCE-7RM2 + Nikon Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ f/1.2

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ ISO 800, FOCAL LENGTH 58.0 mm (58.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/1.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.01667s (1/60).

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ ISO 1000, FOCAL LENGTH 58.0 mm (58.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/1.2, EXPOSURE TIME 0.01667s (1/60).
The DOF seems a bit too narrow for my taste. So stopping down just a tad should be fine.

Here are two images shot with Sony ILCE-7RM2 + Nikon Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2, I believe @ f/4.

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ ISO 1250, FOCAL LENGTH 58.0 mm (58.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.01667s (1/60).

Sony ILCE-7RM2 + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ ISO 1000, FOCAL LENGTH 58.0 mm (58.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/4, EXPOSURE TIME 0.01667s (1/60).

This is probably stopped down more than I wanted, but not by much.

k-hawinkler

1911 Central Avenue

Sony ILCE-9 + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ ISO 2000, FOCAL LENGTH 58.0 mm (58.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/5.6, EXPOSURE TIME 0.01667s (1/60).

k-hawinkler

Evening Visiting Ducks at the Pond.

Sony ILCE-9 + Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 @ ISO 200, FOCAL LENGTH 58.0 mm (58.0 mm in 35mm), APERTURE f/5.6, EXPOSURE TIME 0.01667s (1/60).

k-hawinkler

New Sony a9 firmware released
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4208260

Sony releases new firmware update for the Sony A9. Fixes bug and also improves image quality.

ILCE-9 System Software (Firmware) Update Ver.1.10 (Mac)
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00145148

I updated successfully from Ver. 1.01 to 1.10. :thumbs:
Now I have to find out what changed and whether the stuff I use stills works, only better hopefully. :grin:

Yup, TechArt Pro has Eye AF working, sure does. :thumbs: :clap:
I displayed a portrait image on the screen and TechArt Pro recognized the face and the eye(s)! :thumbs: :clap:

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

I like the those signs ... :grin:
But the 5% discount is beyond my understanding ... :facesmack:

All the best.
Well Bart, Credit Card companies charge a certain percentage for their services. These guys try to avoid that. One of my doctors will accept cash or check but no Crefit Cards for the same reason.

Knorp

Well Bart, Credit Card companies charge a certain percentage for their services. These guys try to avoid that. One of my doctors will accept cash or check but no Crefit Cards for the same reason.
Ah - yes of course, but then who wants to keep cash in his shop ?