The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Two approaches to Processing A7RII images in Lightroom

dmward

HERE is a blog post I did over the weekend describing two approaches for processing A7RII and other A7 images in Lightroom.

The difference is the tone curve applied to a camera profile created in Adobe Profile Editor and used when importing the images into Lightroom. The linear curve is a flatter, darker starting point. The base curve is brighter and more contrasty.

Will be interesting to read comments.

Here are the two final images from each workflow;

dandrewk

I've tried various tone curves for profiling, but since I started using Xrite's Color Checker Passport for profiling that's what I use. There is a different profile for every camera.

One of the first things I do with any new camera is establish the profile. My first two steps in LR are lens corrections and adding the profile via Camera Calibration.

seb

The original picture with the original curve looks better to me than any other. The water and sand looks natural.
On a "outdoor" picture we often work seperate on different parts (sky <-> stones <-> water/sand). If you prefer to start with a different curve, it's up to you, but it does not replace the workflow.

I like a "natural" curve as starting point, because it is a good reference. Your linear curve could be usefull to have a nice reference for the sky. Actually, I'm working on some holiday pictures and I think, I will try your idea out for the skies. :)

Thanks for your post, it gives another view on the process.