The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone doing some video with A7rII - Loxia, Batis, other?

sjg284

Curious if there's others on this site that are 90/10 stills/video.
In stills-land, I've always been more of a Leica shooter. So I am into fast, manual focus primes.. 50mm, a bit of 35mm.
Doing video, I am much less comfortable with what lens to choose..
I lean wider for video.. 24-28 felt better than 35-50 range.

Own/Tried
FE35/2.8 is super convenient in weight/size and being quite high quality.
I've got a C/Y 35-70/3.4 on its way.. used one a few years back, will see how I like it on Sony A7 series.
Tried just about all the other native FE lenses and not found myself too attached to them for video.

Parameters
AF vs MF Focus - I probably want 1 AF & 1 MF lens as each has benefits for different kinds of shoots. Unfortunately there aren't any great hybrid AF/MS lenses for Sony. Sony FE fly-by-wire didn't work great for me for video.
Prime vs Zoom - A zoom may be nice, but I couldn't quite get the zoom-cut shot smooth with the FE zooms focus rings. Hopefully Contax C/Y push-pull zoom gets me there.

So what to try next?
Batis - 25mm is nice, OLED DOF is nice, fly-by-wire still.. (is it any different than the Sony FE MF?), autofocus is convenient, a bit big?
Loxia - 21mm (especially for Super35 mode) or maybe 35mm, nice size&weight, MF w/ auto focus-magnifier is very nice, de-click aperture is nice for video, maybe not the sharpest (but 4K video is only really 8 megapixels so who cares?)
I feel like a Loxia in the 24-28 range might have been more a no-brainer for me. Instead I feel torn between Loxia21 & Batis25.

Probably ruled out these
Canon adapted - Metabones AF adapter seems to work great, except when it doesn't .. with 2 companies firmware updates to worry about keeping in sync.
Other adapted - Lose autofocus of Canon and MF auto-magnify of Loxia.

Thoughts? Others similarly afflicted?