The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the 21mm Loxia

dwood

Congrats on the new Loxia, Barry. Looks like a fantastic lens, which I know you'll put to very good use. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

Viramati

Okay a couple more discoveries today after a bit of street shooting
1. Infinity stop is not quite infinity as in the other Loxia's (exactly why they do this for a WA lens I'm not sure)
2. The lens hood when reversed in storage position on lens doesn't really click into place and fell off twice today and thus has already got scratched (informed my Dealer)
3. I really am finding the focus-throw at the long end a pain especially after the WATE but I am sure I will get used to it and have bought a white sharpie to makes some reference marks on the lens. Bad bit of design and about the only functional niggle I have.
4. IQ seems good but the light is so bad and I haven't really had the right subjects to test it on yet.

Attachments

Barry Haines

Thanks Doug...where’s my B’day card :mad: I guess it’s in the post with that 21mm Distagon you promised me last year :ROTFL:
+ A big thanks to seb for that prayer because after practically 40 days and 40 nights of solid rain with heavy winds it just stopped abruptly like a miracle :shocked:
I live up on Bodmin Moor and we seem to get a microclimate completely different from the rest of Cornwall...So I headed towards the coast in search of some sunlight, this is Treyarnon (revisited) that has a variety of different benches pointing out to sea.
All images are 21mm Loxia at various apertures...These are just quickly downsized SOOC’s with a minimum of PP with Lens Correction on.
Please click on Enlargement, many thanks.

Barry Haines

^^^ Really nice, Barry. So how do you find the focus experience now that you've had time with it?
Hi Jim, I did my tests this morning for DoF and I'm very happy with the results when out in the field...It ain't no big thingy, it just takes a bit of testing upfront, no need IMO to take a scalpel to the lens.

A few more...Please click on Enlargement...Cheers Barry

Viramati

Hi Barry. Some lovely shots and I wouldn't take a scalpel to the lens!! though I might try to put a white dot at where I discover the hyperfocal distance to be at f8. I love the way the lens renders OOF at f2.8 and on the whole I think it will be a real winner.

Anyway here you can the difference in design between the Loxia and ZM version (Having looked a the E mount version of the CV 15 mkIII I see that Voigtlander are doing the same thing)

Attachments

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Hi Barry. Some lovely shots and I wouldn't take a scalpel to the lens!! though I might try to put a white dot at where I discover the hyperfocal distance to be at f8. I love the way the lens renders OOF at f2.8 and on the whole I think it will be a real winner
Thank you David, I misunderstood sorry about that...On my lens at F8 I just align the m (metre distance scale) centrally between F8 and F16 on the right hand side of the DoF scale...that takes pretty much care of infinity and where ever it falls for the foreground which is 2-3 metres away.
Apart from the few things we have mentioned which are a bit annoying, I am o/a delighted with the lens...It's a winner in my books, it renders lovely wide open and for me the biggest surprise was how brilliantly it performs close up...Thanks again...Cheers Barry

Edit. As the circumference of the lens gets smaller the focus distance travelled reduces proportionally for a given FL...It's the nature of SWA to bunch up the longer distances and spread out the close focus distances on a helical/screw focussing ring...I think we jut took the benefits of the larger diameter DSLR lenses for granted with their larger diameters but my memory of the WATE it didn't seem quite as bunched up....Cheers Barry?

Last edited:

Jose Viegas

Congratulations on the Loxia and the test shots, lovely. I was also thinking about getting it but after measuring the AoV of the Batis 25 I decided it wouldn't be be best thing to do as this one is a little under 24mm, more like around 23mm.

seb

+ A big thanks to seb for that prayer because after practically 40 days and 40 nights of solid rain with heavy winds it just stopped abruptly like a miracle :shocked:
If there is a nice person, who need help, I do my best. ;)
Nice bench portraits... Benches are the new Faces! :D

Thanks to you, I will order one...

Barry Haines

Congratulations on the Loxia and the test shots, lovely. I was also thinking about getting it but after measuring the AoV of the Batis 25 I decided it wouldn't be be best thing to do as this one is a little under 24mm, more like around 23mm.
Hi José, I think you are right that is what I have read somewhere the 25mm Batis is slight wider than what is quoted which reduces the desire further still to own both the 21mm and 25mm...both lenses are superb it pretty much comes down to AF vs MF and the benefits of the smaller size of the Loxia...Cheers Barry

Barry Haines

If there is a nice person, who need help, I do my best. ;)
Nice bench portraits... Benches are the new Faces! :D

Thanks to you, I will order one...
Thanks seb for kind words. I really wasn't kidding about the weather it miraculously changed for the better just like that!
Well I hope you enjoy it when it arrives..I think the 21mm makes much more sense to own than the 25mm in your case as you already have the 28mm Sony...Cheers Barry

Viramati

Barry I fully agree with you on your general conclusions and I too have been especially impressed with the lenses closeup performance and look forward to playing with this aspect of the lens more

The Ute

Hi José, I think you are right that is what I have read somewhere the 25mm Batis is slight wider than what is quoted which reduces the desire further still to own both the 21mm and 25mm...both lenses are superb it pretty much comes down to AF vs MF and the benefits of the smaller size of the Loxia...Cheers Barry
Don't forget the price difference.
Batis can be had for about $500 less.

Barry Haines

The Ute, crikey $500 that's a big difference!...With the Black Friday discount I paid just £10 ($15) more for the 21mm Loxia...But that wouldn't be the regular price obviously...The price difference in the UK (same store) is just around a £120 (£979 and £1099).

The Batis has also the advantage of being 59g lighter although it's a bit bigger.

Thanks Guy, I'm really loving this lens...As said previously it does do rather well at close-ups which I wasn't expecting...Cheers Barry

Edit...
I will double post these images here as well to keep them within the 21mm Loxia thread...hoping that is OK ;)

Last edited:

uhoh7

BTW I'm on my third FE 35 1.4. I bought two with asymmetry issues finally went to local store first lens tried same thing, second lens seems to be a winner.

Hate to say it but do not buy this lens unless you can test it in store or return it.
I'm leaning on buying it but if it was 18 it would have been better for me.
You are starting to sound like me :toocool:

I was also wondering about the relation of this lens to the ZM 21/2.8, which I almost bought once:

ZM 21/2.8 by unoh7, on Flickr

Loxia 21 by unoh7, on Flickr

ZM 21/2.8 by unoh7, on Flickr

Loxia 21 by unoh7, on Flickr

Unlike the Loxia 35 and ZM 35/2, there is no relation at all apparently. That's good, because I think it needed some special attention. For a stock camera it's a must have, I think, if you shoot landscape. It's seems optically in the big leagues, for sure. The size and slippery focus ring is a shame. What would be very interesting is to put this lens up against the Kolari and SEM 21. Here a few shots for comparison:
First just a straight test shot to really see the SEM 21 across the frame at f/4 on A7.mod:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/55299472@N07/16445988032/

and a few samples:

Light up the leaves by unoh7, Very little PP here. As you can see, good color.

Hawks CF adapter allows close focus:

Dying Leaf by unoh7, on Flickr

Apparition by unoh7, on Flickr

The nice thing about the SEM is it's smaller and very nice tabbed focus ring. I have no idea which is the stronger lens. I usually just use the SEM on the M9, where it's really sick. But the A7.mod seems to shot it very well.

Last edited:

frozenbb

Question for David, Barry, or others lucky enough to have this lens in hand: does the Loxia show much coma (sagittal coma flare) in the corners when shooting wide open? I'm guessing it does, but I'm hoping it doesn't!

Cheers!
Tom