The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

seb

I was trying to shoot a portrait outdoors and having no luck in continuous mode, but it all worked perfectly in single shot, including eye focus.

I need to experiment more before reaching any final conclusions.
I did also some experiments. And still do... :loco:

Try this:
settings (lens): "aperture ring click"-switch set to off.
settings single shot, AF-C, spot focus with lock AF (e.g. small spot), A-Mode, min-ISO SS set (e.g. 1/125s), auto ISO (e.g. 100-12800), AF on / eye AF focus on cutomizable buttons (eg. AF-MF/AEL switch), EVF live view off, AEL on shutter, focus priority AF-C: AF.
start with the focus ring at f1.4. set the spot focus field over the subject and press back button focus (or eye AF). then choose the prefered aperture with the aperture-ring while you recompose the image. shutter release.

All in all, very fast AF, reliable, on spot and DOF on the fly. Time: less than a second with focusing. :thumbs:

The AF-C performance gets worse the bigger the f-stop is. Above f8 it hunts and I would switch to AF-S.

To your issue: I did not tested the continous mode yet. I will check that.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.

We've heard that before, and many of us are beneficiaries of breaking the now famous "Mancuso death grip". :ROTFL:

Joe
I'm getting weaker Joe with age. You got my really good Loxia 50 to. Great copy

V

Vivek

Re: G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.

As I was driving I saw this scene, and it was far away, there was a fence by the highway and I couldn't get close. The longest reaching lens I had was the 85mm f/1.4 GM with the A7R II, so I shot it as a image is better then no image:

my focus point was the house in the center. Yup look at this 100% crop, a obvious AF disaster.

:thumbup:

:)

seb

I was trying to shoot a portrait outdoors and having no luck in continuous mode, but it all worked perfectly in single shot, including eye focus.

I need to experiment more before reaching any final conclusions.
No chance in continous mode. There is no refocus between the shots. The FE 90/2.8 does this quite well (4 of 5 shots). For the 85GM I will use back button, single shot and AF-C priority to AF. With that I can do 2-3 pics per second, all in focus.

BSEH

:clap: I’m to pick up my 24-70 GM, and want to test it. :bugeyes:
Any with a simple recipe to how to test the lens ?
Thanks

Pradeep

Anybody know about availability of the 24-70 GM lens? I am in desperate need of one, my order has been in for a few months already with my dealer. Need it for a wedding in the family in two weeks.

If anybody has one and is willing to sell, or knows of one in stock somewhere please do PM me.

Thanks much.

Pradeep

Pradeep, Reserve one at lensrentals.
Vivek, I just thought of that too, thanks. They will have one in stock next week so this may work out. Going to India for a wedding and despite all my protests I've been asked to do some 'candids' and such. You know how that goes......:eek:

seb

Anybody know about availability of the 24-70 GM lens? I am in desperate need of one, my order has been in for a few months already with my dealer. Need it for a wedding in the family in two weeks.

If anybody has one and is willing to sell, or knows of one in stock somewhere please do PM me.

Thanks much.
It's in stock since release: http://www.digifuchs.ch/index.php?ssid=79443079ae735b670c68d6994e3e15c5&advised_product=22565
The flight to zurich is around 8 hours. :)
They do also deliver abroad. But it's a small company with only one store and Switzerland has a very small VAT (6.5% which is included in the listed price). So, I don't know how easy it will be to process it and how much it will cost in the end. The store itself is fine and trustworthy.

The Ute

Thanks much.
There are a few available on Ebay.

Pradeep

It's in stock since release: http://www.digifuchs.ch/index.php?ssid=79443079ae735b670c68d6994e3e15c5&advised_product=22565
The flight to zurich is around 8 hours. :)
They do also deliver abroad. But it's a small company with only one store and Switzerland has a very small VAT (6.5% which is included in the listed price). So, I don't know how easy it will be to process it and how much it will cost in the end. The store itself is fine and trustworthy.
Thanks, I checked the store, it is of course more expensive, that is to be expected. Let me see what I can do with lensrentals for now.