The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightest, versatile ballhead?

ggibson

Maximum height of the T-025X is really not useful. Though the maximum extendable height is about 147cm with the head, to me, at about 110cm it is reasonably stable. It would take me a while to get used to it. It feels very delicate. I suppose, that is a price one pays for the size and weight compromise.

Mine (here) comes with a 6 year warranty!
Right, you mostly have to trade off height/stability for folded size/weight. Sirui has a few models to try to suit everyone's preferences. There are similar carbon models T-1205X, or even taller T-2205X that allow you to adjust the center column but these don't pack quite as small or light as the T-025X. Then there is also the T-024X which is 4-section for stability, and is taller, but folded is 25% longer than the T-025X.

By the way, if you take the center column off of the T-025X, do the legs still close properly around the head? I know many say to remove the center column altogether on the T-025X to improve stability.

Another tripod with amazing specs on paper that I came across was the Velbon UT 43D II. It has a different leg lock design that lets it extend quite a bit higher than these other tripod designs while folding down to even smaller than the T-025X (29cm!). Some reviews say the locking and adjustment are a bit fiddly though, and to me it seems slightly less durable for outdoor use. The center column is also always partially extended like the T-025X, and the ball head that comes with it looks huge and not arca-swiss. There aren't nearly as many reviews online about this one, so I'd want to compare the quality in person.

V

Vivek

Graham, with the center column removed, the legs will not fold around the head properly and have to be folded the other way around and that leads to a longer folded length.

The T-024CX is also heavier.

ggibson

Gotcha, thx. I guess you could switch the head to one of those mini ballheads if you wanted it to close then?

daf

A bit late for me (although i can still return mine for a full refund). Thanks anyway for the links. Their test results are pretty accurate and correspond to my own read on how the Sirui T-025CX performs. The gear I put on it is under 1 kg and it works.
From thoses test, the best option around your size/weight criteria might be the Tiltall TC-225 tripod + Tiltall BH-07 ballhead
they make it as bundle called "Tiltall 2go Tc-225 + BH-07"

V

Vivek

That combo is 350gms more than the Sirui T-025CX plus head. Weight is one of my criterion. As i said, all the gear i hang on this setup is < 1 kg in weight.

From thoses test, the best option around your size/weight criteria might be the Tiltall TC-225 tripod + Tiltall BH-07 ballhead
they make it as bundle called "Tiltall 2go Tc-225 + BH-07"
Graham, Yes, with a more compact head, it can be folded.