The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Front Filter Corrects Corner Smearing

Makten

I know I've told myself not to get the ZM 35/1.4, but I'm reconsidering it. Currently I own the Loxia 35/2 which is great stopped down, and it gives a very nice, low contrast bokeh at f/3.2, especially at a bit of distance. However, that is a smaller aperture than I'd like, and opening up makes the bokeh much worse. There's also a very strange curvature of field (or something I can't understand) that makes DOF larger in the middle of the image, even if I can't see the actual field being curved.

So, how does the 35/1.4 do bokeh-wise at a few meters distance and stopped down to f/2-2.8? I know it's a bit harsh wide open, but many lenses get better when stopping down.

-------------

Here's one from today with the Loxia @ f/3.2:

Edit: The forum compresses the image slightly, so right-click and open the image in a new tab.

thrice

I know I've told myself not to get the ZM 35/1.4, but I'm reconsidering it. Currently I own the Loxia 35/2 which is great stopped down, and it gives a very nice, low contrast bokeh at f/3.2, especially at a bit of distance. However, that is a smaller aperture than I'd like, and opening up makes the bokeh much worse. There's also a very strange curvature of field (or something I can't understand) that makes DOF larger in the middle of the image, even if I can't see the actual field being curved.

So, how does the 35/1.4 do bokeh-wise at a few meters distance and stopped down to f/2-2.8? I know it's a bit harsh wide open, but many lenses get better when stopping down.

-------------

Here's one from today with the Loxia @ f/3.2:

Edit: The forum compresses the image slightly, so right-click and open the image in a new tab.
The 35/1.4 has great bokeh wide open, I'm not sure where you've seen otherwise?
Here is one at a couple of metres, and one close up. Both wide open.
If I'm shooting a portrait I wouldn't hesitate to shoot wide open because the lens is so sharp and the bokeh so good. I haven't tried at f/2 or f/2.8 as I haven't felt the need. Next chance I get I will though.
Bubmofo.jpg
BubFriendly.jpg

Is there a list for which filter to use for what Leica M lens? TIA.
Samuli Vahonen made a list, here
It is not fully comprehensive but it gives you a good indication of starting point.

Makten

The 35/1.4 has great bokeh wide open, I'm not sure where you've seen otherwise?
Here is one at a couple of metres, and one close up. Both wide open.
If I'm shooting a portrait I wouldn't hesitate to shoot wide open because the lens is so sharp and the bokeh so good. I haven't tried at f/2 or f/2.8 as I haven't felt the need. Next chance I get I will though.
Thanks!

The first image is much closer than I shoot, and I actually like harsh bokeh at such distances. :eek: The second looks good though! But, the background isn't nearly as complex as foliage or branches, and a good portion is just sky (which is in the part of the frame that usually look terrible).

The very few samples I've seen that replicates what I'm after, have unfortunately not been very convincing. :rolleyes:

thrice

True, at medium distances the background doesn't totally melt away. That's pretty tough with a 35.
At least with the front end filter the plane of focus is flat :grin:
35ZMFoliage.jpg

Thanks!

The first image is much closer than I shoot, and I actually like harsh bokeh at such distances. :eek: The second looks good though! But, the background isn't nearly as complex as foliage or branches, and a good portion is just sky (which is in the part of the frame that usually look terrible).

The very few samples I've seen that replicates what I'm after, have unfortunately not been very convincing. :rolleyes:

Makten

It looks about the same as the Loxia wide open, so if it improves when stopping down I'd probably happy. :) But there is still larger DOF towards the borders and corners, probably due to mechanical vignetting. I don't see anything like that with the Loxia (even if the bokeh is really harsh in the corners at f/2).

Edit: Or, yes, the Loxia has larger DOF in the extreme corners, but the transition to that zone is very abrupt.