The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samyang 35/2.8

iiiNelson

Anther AF 35/2.8 was announced. There are a few hands-on previews online by some testers. The price seems competitive for those getting into the system and want native glass. If the optical performance is comparable to the Sony Zeiss then I think they have the price for this just about right. I owned the 35/2.8 and it wasn't a bad lens but the performance just didn't match the price but I admittedly am picky about the look of a lens. Either I like it or I don't and with the Sony Zeiss 35/2.8 (or 24-70/4) I did not for the price. At $3-400 it's a solid purchase and in line with the Sony 28 (which is better than the Sony Zeiss 35/2.8 IMO).

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/samyang-just-announced-new-35mm-f2-8-fe-af-lens/

V

Vivek

I do agree that the Sony 28/2 is much better than the Zony 35/2.8. The blue label costs the buyer a lot.

However, as pointed out by "Mistral" in the link you posted (well that thread appears on the sonyrumors), the Zony would easily outperform the Samyang.

I don't get the cluelessness of Samyang to come up with inferior lenses of exact FL that already exists in a fledgling system that lacks lenses. I do wish they fail miserably so that they smarten up.

iiiNelson

I do agree that the Sony 28/2 is much better than the Zony 35/2.8. The blue label costs the buyer a lot.

However, as pointed out by "Mistral" in the link you posted (well that thread appears on the sonyrumors), the Zony would easily outperform the Samyang.

I don't get the cluelessness of Samyang to come up with inferior lenses of exact FL that already exists in a fledgling system that lacks lenses. I do wish they fail miserably so that they smarten up.
Theres a market for the Samyang lenses if you're on a budget. Think about those buying generation 1 A7 or for a starter camera. While I agree that there are better lenses there's not a cheap AF lens besides this. You have inexpensive 28, 50, and 85.

V

Vivek

That 50 is useless (AF) on gen1 A7 cams.

We need a Mk II of the FE 50/1.8 that would.

V

Vivek

I know. I owned it briefly before returning it in disgust. What is the point in buying a new A7 for €765 (lowest current price i found) when the Zony 55/1.8 lens is more expensive than that?

Oddly, none of the 3rd party Samyang, Sigma, Tamron, etc, can come up with a decent affordable standard prime either!

ggibson

The $650 I paid for my second-hand 55/1.8 was worth every penny. That lens is a beaut.

As for this Samyang, I agree it's too bad they release what is essentially the same lens as one we already have. A used Zeiss 35/2.8 is probably only $450-500. I must imagine there's been some sample variation on the Zeiss, since I've heard both praise and criticism for that lens' performance. In any case, I opted for the Sony 28/2 and I'm quite happy with the performance on my A7rII.

V

Vivek

I bought a new Zony 55/1.8 for 620Euros after finding out that Sony was selling it for <$550 in Japan. They sell it way overpriced outside of Japan.

My Zony 35/2.8 was bought used (good sample). It works great on my NEX-5NM (monochrome). :thumbs:

iiiNelson

The $650 I paid for my second-hand 55/1.8 was worth every penny. That lens is a beaut.

As for this Samyang, I agree it's too bad they release what is essentially the same lens as one we already have. A used Zeiss 35/2.8 is probably only $450-500. I must imagine there's been some sample variation on the Zeiss, since I've heard both praise and criticism for that lens' performance. In any case, I opted for the Sony 28/2 and I'm quite happy with the performance on my A7rII.
Sample variation may be a reason but I also think it's more than likely expectation variation. I heard universal praise for the lens early on but I assume that was from people not used to having great glass. I was coming from a 35 Summocron v5 and that's where the bar was set... it's nowhere near that lens in performance. The 55/1.8 was comparable to the 50 Lux in optical quality though it's more sterile.

oh and I bought the 55FE new for $900 from a local dealer and have to say it was very much worth the $1k they charge MSRP. I mean the performance isn't far off from the Otus version and that lens cost 4x the price.