The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Solar eclipse totality, Bracketting, Sony EFCS

miska

Hi,

So like I am sure many of you, I am thinking about my solar eclipse photography plans.

During totality, I would like to try to get an HDR image of the sun's corona. For that, I will have a tracking mount (EQ5), and a Canon 500mm f/4 telephoto lens (Image Stabilization Off). Behind the lens, my Sony Alpha 7R II (steady-shot off). I will remove to solar filter after the totality has started.

Since the Sony has some quite nice bracketing possibilities, I plan to do a 5 shot (2 stops) and / or 9 shots (1 stop) brackets, and repeat that several times during totality. So basically, set the camera, and continuously press on the wired remote, until the eclipse is over.

That should be worry-free enough, so that I can also enjoy the eclipse, without fiddling too much with the camera during the precious 2 minutes.

Now, the Sony also has an option for an electronic first curtain shutter. I am pondering if this should be on or off.

- The pro is that it reduces vibrations (due to shutter), which is good for the longest images in the bracket (Probably ~1s exposure is the max I'll have)

- The con, is that "strange things" could happen during the shortest exposures in the bracket, if it is enabled (probably of order 1/1000s).

Thoughts, comments ?

ggibson

You could certainly test it yourself before the event to see if you notice any differences (not shooting the sun ofc, maybe the moon?).

From what I've read of shutter shock, it seems to only really be noticeable during a specific shutter speed window from around 1/50 - 1/250 (on cameras that even have an issue with it). So if you avoid those shutter speeds, you don't have to worry either way, right?

Where are you shooting from? I live about 8-10 hrs from totality, but I've contemplated making the drive just to see it. Such a cool event.

miska

I plan to be around Yellowstone, but haven't setteled on an exact spot yet.

Yes, it seems like the best is to do some tests. One option is to shoot at the moon to get in the righ ballpark for shutter speeds.