The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What are the chances of Sony shocking with a FW update for RX1

V

Vivek

We hear about Leica updating their Q.

Will sony shock one and all with a FW update? :ROTFL:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Shocked if Sony remembers making and selling the RX1 ...

Three generations have passed and they seem to have the persistence responsibility and
focus of a gnat ....

Rather you would add it to a landfill and buy the new new thing.

One of my favorite cameras .. and the RX1r

Bob

scho

Three years ago I had the RX1R and there was never any firmware upgrade. Bought the RX1RII soon after selling it and it was also 1.0. My first RX1RII had the light leak problem so it was returned and I just now purchased my second copy which is still at 1.0. Because the RX1 series is considered as a point and shoot (despite the price category and sophistication) I guess Sony thinks it does not qualify for system upgrades.

V

Vivek

Carl, the RX1R basically took care of two design flaws in RX1. The E61 error which indicates AF malfuntion and MF not working due to an unsecured power cable in the lens unit that is prone to coming loose. Sony claimed the “R” version lacked an AA filter leading to better resolution. The RX1R II, aside from a better sensor, variable LPF, tilt LCD and a pop up EVF, sports a fatal design flaw in the image review button (allows condensation to seep in and kill the camera if exposed to heavy moisture). The RX1 was better designed in that respect. Lovely, useful cameras with definite hardware design flaws.

What prevents them from issuing FW updates to these is anyone’s guess.

Pradeep

I actually take my Rx1r2 everywhere I go, especially travel. It is small and light enough and nobody notices it. However, I wish the focus was a bit better, now that I've gotten used to the much improved A7r3 - cannot really compare it to the A9.

For its size it is an amazing camera, don't forget the f2 lens.

V

Vivek

The f2 lens is not forgotten but the Q has even a faster lens and it does get a FW update! ;)

PS: Bob, i heard back and gnats are offended. gnats have superb vision when it comes to their food/target.

Last edited:

Frankly

Around 1999 I sold a beautiful Leica to buy an early $2500 Sony digital camera, it had amazing specifications and the internet community was excited about it. In reality it was buggy, couldn't focus, and customer service was useless.

I see nothing has changed. I won't even let a Sony CD player into the house.

Pradeep

I too bought into the Leica hype at one time. Got an M9 and then an M240 (didn't learn the lesson the first time). Along with the lenses it was more than $10K before I could take a picture.

I never found the 'intangible Leica Magic' or the 'special look'. I grew up with a rangefinder so was not new to manual focus with the Leica, just did not see the supposedly great quality everybody was raving about. The first one suffered from color cast issues that were painful to work with, was reduced to converting all my images to B&W. The second, a much awaited CMOS sensor was better but still nowhere near my A7r, so sold that one too.

I agree the Leica lenses were special but in a head to head comparison with Zeiss, the latter won, at least in my own testing. I did keep the lenses for many years, used them with my Sony but finally sold them as well.

Yes, the Leicas were a head-turner alright, but for me, more hype than substance.

pegelli

I see nothing has changed.
Yes, look into this forum section at all the horrible buggy cameras producing these blurry and out of focus pictures and then the cameras break and can't be repaired. I really wonder how Sony can stay in business that way:watch:
here's some good examples of what we're talking about :facesmack:

I guess ignorance is bliss, especially from people who haven't used one and closed their mind to the fact things can change ;)