The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone use the A900 in the studio yet?

wayne_s

I agree with Photografz, for portraiture I prefer smooth bokeh and the only Zeiss Z* lens which I find has smooth bokeh is the ZA Sonnar 135 1.8. I am not a Leica bokeh lover either even though I have the 100 Macro APO and 180 APO 2.8. The 80 Lux being the best of the Leica lenses for bokeh.

The Minolta Rokkor 58 1.2 is a great combination of Leica like colors, and similar(not quite as sharp wide open) to Noct-Nikkor 58 1.2 combination of sharpness and smooth bokeh all for around ~$300's.
I think it can be adapted to Sony alpha mount pretty easily right?
The Siggy 50 looks to have nice creamy bokeh too and is cheaper than the Leica 50 Cron.
Not sure though if Sigma fixed their AF focusing/focus shift problems with the lens at 10ft or less.
As Edward mentioned, bokeh is a very personal preference.

douglasf13

I agree with Photografz, for portraiture I prefer smooth bokeh and the only Zeiss Z* lens which I find has smooth bokeh is the ZA Sonnar 135 1.8. I am not a Leica bokeh lover either even though I have the 100 Macro APO and 180 APO 2.8. The 80 Lux being the best of the Leica lenses for bokeh.

The Minolta Rokkor 58 1.2 is a great combination of Leica like colors, and similar(not quite as sharp wide open) to Noct-Nikkor 58 1.2 combination of sharpness and smooth bokeh all for around ~$300's.
I think it can be adapted to Sony alpha mount pretty easily right?
The Siggy 50 looks to have nice creamy bokeh too and is cheaper than the Leica 50 Cron.
Not sure though if Sigma fixed their AF focusing/focus shift problems with the lens at 10ft or less.
As Edward mentioned, bokeh is a very personal preference.
I would argue that the ZA 85 actually has better bokeh than the ZA 135, it's just that the 135 is able to get a shallower depth of field, which can be misleading. When both of these lenses were released a few years ago, there were some comparison threads of the two floating around, and the ZA 135's bokeh was harsher in some instances. Regardless, bokeh is a matter of taste anyway. Some people hate the Sigma 50 because the bokeh is so smooth.

The Rokkor 58 1.2 is sweet, but it takes some work and a remount to fit it. Also, prices have skyrocketed over the last year. I believe $500-$700 is what they're going for now.

DavidL

Got the studio, got the strobes, can get the models so if you'd all like to chip in and send me a 900 and lenses I'll do the snaps:thumbs:
david

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Got the remaining studio equipment yesterday and a 135 1.8 on its way. I'll try some single light stuff this weekend. My models won't be as good as yours I'm sure...but I won't tell my wife that. :p