Site Sponsors

Thread: Images from the A900 from Dorset

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Images from the A900 from Dorset

Dear All,

I have just returned from a refreshing break in Dorset, southern England, where I took a number of shots with the A900 and (mainly) the Zeiss 24-70mm F2.8. I wnet all out on a few shots and I have processed a few favourites, two of which I append below

The first image was taken last Monday at sunset in Kimmeridge Bay as the tide was coming in and the clouds were gathering. Technincal details are Sony A900 at ISO 100, Zeiss 24-70mm at 24mm and F/18, Lee ND .6 grad and linear polariser, 1/2 sec exposure, processed in DxO and Photoshop CS4. Sometime during the course of this shot, my PDA went swimming with the fishes :

The second image was taken 6 days later near the same spot, at about 5:45am, as before except F/20 and 3.5 secs exposure.

So how did the A900 fare? Well I also took the Mamiya ZD with me but never took it out of its bag. Stopped down to F18 to F22 at 24mm and using hyperfocal focusing, front to back sharp images are not too much of a problem; a bigger problem was mirror bounce affecting sharpness. I could not use mirror lock-up easily as I don't have the remote electornic cable release. I freqently used the remote "commander" just for hands-off shooting on a tripod. Not ideal, but it proved to be the best compromise. I am pleased to report that the Zeiss 24-70mm held up well down to F22 in trms of sharpness, better in fact than the 35mm Mamiya Wide angle.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Images from the A900 from Dorset

Beautiful shots.

You know the cameras two second timer does mirror lock up, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Beautiful shots.

You know the cameras two second timer does mirror lock up, right?
    thanks Douglas.

Knew I should have read the manual

Seriously, they need more versatility with mirror lock up. I'm sure it could be added with a firmware upgrade.

Cheers

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good use of a grad, nice to see. Most people don't bother with digital.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Good use of a grad, nice to see. Most people don't bother with digital.
    Hi Lars,

I don't often, but the closer you get the shot right in camera, the better in my view. With some subjects combining different exposures for an HDR image does not work that well, of course.

However I did combine two different exposures and focus points manually (no HDR, old fashioned Photohop) for the picture below of Portland Bill and the rusty bollard in the foreground. I liked the similarity in shapes and colour but even stopping down, it was not possible to get the foreground sharp enough, nor get enough shadow detail, in a single image.

I originally purchased the Lee filters for 8x10. I see you are a fan of that format

Quentin
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 3rd May 2009 at 15:15.
    Quentin Bargate

Shelby Lewis

Quentin... great stuff. Thanks for sharing and giving insights into your use of grads/filters/ps. I've often thought of picking up some grads but, as a people shooter, I just don't do much landscape work.

Now that I have an a900 (and some mf gear soon probably), I'm really thinking about doing some for my own enjoyment.

Thanks!

panyawong

Quentin;

I like your "kimmeridge-at-dawn" shot. It is beautiful. The sunset one for some reason on my screen the cloud is very dark but there is no associated shadow on the water. It is still a nice shot, but I like the dawn one better.

Regards,
    Panya

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by panyawong View Post
    Quentin;

I like your "kimmeridge-at-dawn" shot. It is beautiful. The sunset one for some reason on my screen the cloud is very dark but there is no associated shadow on the water. It is still a nice shot, but I like the dawn one better.

Regards,
    Panya
    Hi there, Panya,

My preference too I think its the best shot I took during the trip. Thanks for the feedback.

There is some shadow on the other shot, but the effect of the ND grad (necessary because of the setting sun) has been to darken the clouds. I might try lightening them a tad to see if this assists.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Quentin
    fine stuff - was this a family trip or just a Quentin chill-out.
    I'm impressed by 5.30!
    Now you've drowned you pda, you can get real and buy an iphone like everyone else

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,

Thanks. The latter. I was practically frog-marched out the door by my staff who say I needed a short break (for them or me we ask rhetorically ). And the PDA was replaced by courier the next working day.

Cheers

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Hi Jono,

Thanks. The latter. I was practically frog-marched out the door by my staff who say I needed a short break (for them or me we ask rhetorically ).
    I'll have to be more grumpy . . my staff just said "could you try and finish the stock depreciation and authorisation systems over the weekend please "

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I'll have to be more grumpy . . my staff just said "could you try and finish the stock depreciation and authorisation systems over the weekend please "
    You are sweetness and light Jono

OK here is another dawn shot, this time of Corfe Castle. This time I used the 70-300mm, F/16, ISO 200, 1/40 sec, @ near 300mm, tripod.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

This one is amazing Quentin
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    This one is amazing Quentin
    Cheers, Edward The weather was really mixed during the week I was in Dorset. Ideal really for interesting skies, climatic conditions, mist etc. and of course at this time of year, it is still possible to get back after taking some early dawn shots and have a hearty cooked breakfast

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Quentin... great stuff. Thanks for sharing and giving insights into your use of grads/filters/ps. I've often thought of picking up some grads but, as a people shooter, I just don't do much landscape work.

Now that I have an a900 (and some mf gear soon probably), I'm really thinking about doing some for my own enjoyment.

Thanks!
    Hi Shelby,

Many thanks. What MF gear are you considering? I have dipped my toe in that water only once with the ZD, but I have looked at a number of other options, most of which are expensive and lens-limited. I don't dispute the fact that MF digital is superior, just that the law of dimishing returns means you pay a heavy price for sometimes small improvements and I am worried about the future value of the investment.

I feel that the A900 is as good as a 22mp digital back for all practical purposes, better in some and has a wider range of lenses available. The Dorset trip from which I have selected these shots validates for me the use of an A900 with quality lenses as a MF and film alternative. I am keeping an eye of MF and I have some Mamiya lenses ready be used if I go in that direction, but at the moment, I am happy with the A900, which is the closest I have yet come to a genuine all purpose camera.

And by the way, thanks to Jono for tipping me over the A900 ledge - his shots and comments persuaded me to stop dithering and get the wallet out

Quentin
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 4th May 2009 at 04:29.
    Quentin Bargate

Shelby Lewis

Hi Shelby,

Many thanks. What MF gear are you considering? I have dipped my toe in that water only once with the ZD, but I have looked at a number of other options, most of which are expensive and lens-limited. I don't dispute the fact that MF digital is superior, just that the law of dimishing returns means you pay a heavy price for sometimes small improvements and I am worried about the future value of the investment.

I feel that the A900 is as good as a 22mp digital back for all practical purposes, better in some and has a wider range of lenses available. The Dorset trip from which I have selected these shots validates for me the use of an A900 with quality lenses as a MF and film alternative. I am keeping an eye of MF and I have some Mamiya lenses ready be used if I go in that direction, but at the moment, I am happy with the A900, which is the closest I have yet come to a genuine all purpose camera.

And by the way, thanks to Jono for tipping me over the A900 ledge - his shots and comments persuaded me to stop dithering and get the wallet out

Quentin
    Thanks quentin... I'm in a holding pattern with the MF gear... but strongly looking at a "tripod/studio" camera. I do some commercial work and am becoming more and more interested in a waist-level camera. I have some experience with the RZ and find myself very compelled to pick up a "new" one since they are so cheap these days... and I find the RZ lenses (nothing wide on digital though, arg!) in combination with a 22mp back to give incredible results at a good price.

I agree with you... the a900 has definitely stopped some of my fervor towards MF, and it'll become my dedicated location and hand-holding camera... but I still find something special about the 22mp backs for beauty, fashion, and studio work. The a900 is 95% there.

I was full-on in a search for MF stuff a few weeks back and had some personal emergencies... which put the stops on everything... so as I move forward I'll keep people posted as to what I find. I definitely plan on shooting the two side-by-side.

BTW... GREAT shots. Thanks for posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One final shot from dorset, a mono image converted using Silver Efex Pro, part of Stair Hole next to Lulworth Cove.

Sony A900, 24-70mm F/2.8, 3.2 secs at F/18 with ND 0.6 filter and polariser, tripod

Right, off for a cup of tea :-)

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All of these pictures are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shots! When you're converting in SEP do you use their presets or create your own?
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Great shots! When you're converting in SEP do you use their presets or create your own?
    Hi Mike,

My own - on an image by image basis.

Cheers

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are sweetness and light Jono

OK here is another dawn shot, this time of Corfe Castle. This time I used the 70-300mm, F/16, ISO 200, 1/40 sec, @ near 300mm, tripod.

Quentin
    Fantastic shot, Quentin - brings back memories for me, as when I was a kid I used to stay with my grandfather in Kingston and I could see Corfe from my bedroom window. That was more than 50 years ago but I guess the castle hasn't changed!

Thank you for sharing it,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    Fantastic shot, Quentin - brings back memories for me, as when I was a kid I used to stay with my grandfather in Kingston and I could see Corfe from my bedroom window. That was more than 50 years ago but I guess the castle hasn't changed!

Thank you for sharing it,
    Bill
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the kind comments. And you are right, this shot was taken just outside Kingston.

cheers

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quentin, really great shots from my favourite part of the UK. Very impressed with the 05.00 hrs stuff too! Couldn't manage that even when I owned a small cottage in West Dorset! But the farm cider is pretty good down there at any time of day!!
    Cheers, Dave
    www.simmondsphotography.com