Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony 50/1.4 lens hood

Post Thanks / Like

Sony 50/1.4 lens hood

Got this lens today because it's too cheap not to have. The hood doesn't seem to click when fully rotated, even though I put quite a lot of pressure. Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Edward
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony 50/1.4 lens hood

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Got this lens today because it's too cheap not to have. The hood doesn't seem to click when fully rotated, even though I put quite a lot of pressure. Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Edward
    Mine doesnt click either, it is one of the stranger hoods. Am always tempted to leave it behind.

N

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I guess the hood is normal then. I almost broke the focusing mechanism trying to make it click

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, no clicks...and a nasty propensity to drag on my hand. I agree...rarely used. But then this is rarely my go-to outdoor lens.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

But the lens itself is sharp, much sharper than my Minolta 50/1.7

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gsking View Post
    Yep, no clicks...and a nasty propensity to drag on my hand. I agree...rarely used. But then this is rarely my go-to outdoor lens.

Greg
    I bought this lens for low light shooting or when I just need a lightweight combo for snapshots. For serious jobs, I would use the 24-70. I didn't test the 50 yet, but according to reviews, it has a superlative center sharpness but the borders never really follow, even when stopped down. It also has some issues with coma and CA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    I bought this lens for low light shooting or when I just need a lightweight combo for snapshots. For serious jobs, I would use the 24-70. I didn't test the 50 yet, but according to reviews, it has a superlative center sharpness but the borders never really follow, even when stopped down. It also has some issues with coma and CA.
    Yep, on APS it really looks like the 85mm, since the edges are cropped out. But put it on the 900, and the area of frame you've added is reportedly not too sharp.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

I am starting to wonder what kind of morons are doing the reviews. I tested the lens this afternoon, and found that it suffers from severe field curvature, which produces soft borders on flat objects. However, I could obtain sharp corners even at f/1.4 by taking a photo at an angle . The round shape of the curvature actually helped me as it is predictable. I also did the same shot with the Zeiss 24-70, and it produced different results as the curvature is corrected down to 2/3 of the frame. So it behaved more normally, producing OOF blur where it is expected to be, except in the extreme corners where actually it was sharper than the 50 since the curvature of the Zeiss is stronger there.

Quote Originally Posted by gsking View Post
    Yep, on APS it really looks like the 85mm, since the edges are cropped out. But put it on the 900, and the area of frame you've added is reportedly not too sharp.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

50mm 1s f/2.8 (both photos on tripod with MLU)

First Sony then Zeiss. Center AF point was used, which coincides with the right most wall plug. You can see that Zeiss is at its sharpest in the center area as expected while Sony also sharpest in the center extends the sharpness all the way to the left side, while the right side is much more OOF than the Zeiss.

Btw you can notice that the wall plug on the extreme left border is almost as sharp as the center, amazing curvature from the Sony

Attachment 15989

Attachment 15990
    Last edited by edwardkaraa; 16th November 2009 at 10:27.