Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New A900

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

New A900

Since Guy semi publicly outed me, I will confess that there is a box with my name on it containing an A900, 24-70, 135 and flash currently out for delivery wandering the streets of SF on a UPS truck (all 14 lbs. of it).

I actually did download and read read the manual last night. It was surprisingly written for people who could have very little photgraphy knowledge but then also seemed light on detail!

Any hints or tips on useful settings would be appreciated.

Marc, since I don't use C1 yet, anything special for these files in LR is greatly appreciated. Any, settings for sharpening would also be great.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New A900

I just can't seem to stay out of trouble. LOL

Now get yourself to AZ so I can play with it. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Enjoy Terry!!! Nice move.

There is information in this thread which I am sure you have seen:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7550

And don't forget to update your post in the Are you Happy with Your Current System thread!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! Terry.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Terry, it was only a matter of time after you held the 135. Glad to see you got it as well. Enjoy!
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Since Guy semi publicly outed me, I will confess that there is a box with my name on it containing an A900, 24-70, 135 and flash currently out for delivery wandering the streets of SF on a UPS truck (all 14 lbs. of it).

I actually did download and read read the manual last night. It was surprisingly written for people who could have very little photgraphy knowledge but then also seemed light on detail!

Marc, since I don't use C1 yet, anything special for these files in LR is greatly appreciated. Any, settings for sharpening would also be great.
    Congrats on the new system. You'll love it! Like was mentioned above, Shelby's wedding pic thread has a lot of tips. Here are some relatively "RAW accurate" jpeg settings:

- turn off DRO completely
    - AdobeRGB
    - neutral CS
    - contrast -3 (i use -1 ZONE instead, but that's not necessary for now)
    - saturation -1
    - brightness -3
    - custom WB (uniWB)

With the above settings, you should find that spot metering detailed highlights at +3 EV works well. Or, you can spot meter middle grey at +.5 EV

If you're using LR, remember that it does some baseline exposure and other things. In order to set up ACR/Lightroom to show a relatively accurate RAW histogram, you'll need to flatten the tone curve to linear, set brightness and contrast to zero and add around -0.35 EV (hidden baseline exposure correction) for a900 files to get pretty close. If you import A900 images into LR at its standard settings, and your shots don't look overexposed, then you'll know that you're probably underexposing at capture. Enjoy the new cam!
    Last edited by douglasf13; 22nd May 2009 at 10:29.

Post Thanks / Like

And so the 900club grows and grows! Good luck with the new toys. The manual, as most manuals these days, is not good. I got Gary Friedmans pdf book, it is a bit overkill in my opinion but at least it has a lot of info.

Cheers, Bob.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Terry.
    I really hope you'll be very happy with it, and if you want a nice new bag to go with it, I know someone in France who'll make you one!

Enjoy!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 135/1.8 is what sucked me in also ... I held it when it first came out ... and I knew it was just a matter of time.

Welcome to the club.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Charlie, Dale, Eoin, Bob,Jono and Marc,
    I don't know that I am worthy of having 24mp at my disposal to make bigger prints of my work but, it should be a lot of fun. Will try and shoot side by side with the D700 this weekend.

Once comfortable with the system I will round things out with the Signa 12-24 and the 70-300.

Doug- typically I am only shooting RAW. Are your settings then useful for judging the output on the screen? Thanks for the LR info. I may have some more questions over the weekend but it is always exciting working with new gear. Although, I think I need to slow down on the excitement factor!

Guy, doesn't get thanks on this thread as he loves to be the instigator to get people to spend on new toys that he lusts after.
    Last edited by Terry; 22nd May 2009 at 12:17.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy it!

Sure a wonderful tool - and I want to play with it in AZ

You can get my 5D2 meanwhile

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Enjoy it!

Sure a wonderful tool - and I want to play with it in AZ

You can get my 5D2 meanwhile
    Thanks Peter look forward to meeting you. The first workshop I did with Jack and Guy everyone shot M8s. Oh have things changed over the last couple of years!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Peter look forward to meeting you. The first workshop I did with Jack and Guy everyone shot M8s. Oh have things changed over the last couple of years!
    Yes, and this is only 2 years

Look also forward to meet you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually we will have 2 Sony A900 users if Shelby comes,1 D3x user, M8 user, Canon user and Hassy and Phase users as well. Pretty diverse set of folks and I love it. Having different systems around is very good for the users and the workshops we can see what each system can do and a few friendly shoot outs never hurt anyone. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry seems to be very quiet , the Sony must have been delivered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

...Doug- typically I am only shooting RAW. Are your settings then useful for judging the output on the screen? Thanks for the LR info. I may have some more questions over the weekend but it is always exciting working with new gear....
    Sure thing. Those camera settings I mentioned get the A900's in-camera histogram about as close as any I've seen to what the actual RAW histogram, although it's still not perfect. Depending on you RAW converter, you may have to adjust some import settings in that as well (like the LR settings I mentioned.) Feel free to PM me with questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Actually we will have 2 Sony A900 users if Shelby comes,1 D3x user, M8 user, Canon user and Hassy and Phase users as well. Pretty diverse set of folks and I love it. Having different systems around is very good for the users and the workshops we can see what each system can do and a few friendly shoot outs never hurt anyone. LOL
    I can't make it to the June workshop, but I'd really like to try for the next. Looks like a blast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug not having the A900 i am looking at these setting to match up to the LCD and what scale is this like 1-5 or 1-10 . Reason I ask is when I see numbers like -3 for contrast and minus - 3 for brightness makes me wonder. Seems a little drastic especially contrast and brightness. Seems that is just knocking it down quite a bit and when I looked at this Cam it seemed pretty good the LCD except I did not process the files or look at the raws. Just curious

- AdobeRGB
    - neutral CS
    - saturation -1
    - brightness -3
    - custom WB (uniWB)

I am assuming this also relates to LR viewing of the Raw does this change when using another RC program. I know for instance my Phase files in LR are about 1.5 stops darker than C1 so I guess the second part to the question does this change with different RC as well or hold with others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I can't make it to the June workshop, but I'd really like to try for the next. Looks like a blast!
    Love for you to come to one, we will have one in the fall.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Terry! Enjoy your new toy.

Small tip. I always find the screen to be too bright. I have adjusted the brightness setting to -5 (lowest, i used to get to influenced by the screen brightness, not the actual exposure). You can do this quickly by keeping the "Display" button (on the left rear panel) and turning any of the control dials (front or back).

Cheers,

n
    A and E mount Too many lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love for you to come to one, we will have one in the fall.
    Count yourself lucky I live too far away

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug not having the A900 i am looking at these setting to match up to the LCD and what scale is this like 1-5 or 1-10 . Reason I ask is when I see numbers like -3 for contrast and minus - 3 for brightness makes me wonder. Seems a little drastic especially contrast and brightness. Seems that is just knocking it down quite a bit and when I looked at this Cam it seemed pretty good the LCD except I did not process the files or look at the raws. Just curious

- AdobeRGB
    - neutral CS
    - saturation -1
    - brightness -3
    - custom WB (uniWB)

I am assuming this also relates to LR viewing of the Raw does this change when using another RC program. I know for instance my Phase files in LR are about 1.5 stops darker than C1 so I guess the second part to the question does this change with different RC as well or hold with others.

Sure, no problemo, Guy. The Sony jpeg settings range from -3 to +3, so essentially seven levels. The settings I listed above give a general (albeit not perfect) representation of what the RAW histogram looks like, regardless of converters used. This leads to the image on the camera LCD being rather flat and dull, but more accurate. The LR settings that I gave are to match these camera settings, rather than the other way around. Many converters, including LR, give a far from accurate portrayal of one's RAW data with their standard import settings, because, generally, the converter is trying to match your standard jpeg camera histogram, or something similar. The problem of this is that it tends to lead many of us to underexposure, because we're not taking full advantage of the headroom that RAW provides. With C1 Pro, setting everything to zero and changing the import curve to the "linear" setting works. With RT, just setting the import settings to "neutral" works. If anything, using these techniques is the most important with LR, because it has more of a difficult time with the A900 compared to other converters, and can cause a bit more of a mess if you're underexposed.

The fall may be a good time for me to come to a workshop. Keep me posted.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry seems to be very quiet , the Sony must have been delivered.
    Not when you wrote this....I was trying to do some work at the office so I could actually afford it.

HOWEVER, I did just leave the office early and parked outside my building when I arrived home was the UPS truck. Battery is in the charger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Count yourself lucky I live too far away
    Sure 'tis only a plane journey away. Autumn is a wonderful time, all those lovely colours. I think you really deserve a change of scenery Just think of all those American scarecrows

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    Sure 'tis only a plane journey away. Autumn is a wonderful time, all those lovely colours. I think you really deserve a change of scenery Just think of all those American scarecrows
    Hi Eoin . . . are you going? Anyway, I'd cause chaos, I'd disagree with Jack about converters, drink too much, refuse to use a tripod and piss people off with terrible jokes.

Really, they don't need me

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Need and WANT are two very different things...... You would be wanted

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Eoin . . . are you going? Anyway, I'd cause chaos, I'd disagree with Jack about converters, drink too much, refuse to use a tripod and piss people off with terrible jokes.
    Sounds great to me!

Post Thanks / Like

No I'm broke doing my bit spending more money on things I don't really need, but feel I have to have....to help out the world economy. Anyway they really don't like smokers over there .

Tripod? what's that used for?. Had one of those fancy CF ones with a fancy BH o
    Last edited by Eoin; 22nd May 2009 at 14:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyway, I'd cause chaos, I'd disagree with Jack about converters, drink too much, refuse to use a tripod and piss people off with terrible jokes.
    That's just about what everyone does on the workshops - you would hardly be noticed!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which reminds me last night at dusk my son Jack and I where watching not one, not two, not three but FOUR owls from our backyard. I am not joking here this one owl has been around since we owned this house 12 years and his wing span. No exaggerating is at least 6ft or more. It was like looking at a garbage can size bird in a tree. he is just flat out huge.To dark to actually shoot and about 200 yards away. Jack shot this with my G10 at full zoom and this still is a crop but look at this shot of them. There was one out of view. So yea we need you to come visit and hopefully see the wild west or at least act like your in the wild west. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    No I'm broke doing my bit spending more money on things I don't really need, but feel I have to have....to help out the world economy. Anyway they really don't like smokers over there .

Tripod? what's that used for?. Had one of those fancy CF ones with a fancy BH o
    Not I still smoke

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Sure, no problemo, Guy. The Sony jpeg settings range from -3 to +3, so essentially seven levels. The settings I listed above give a general (albeit not perfect) representation of what the RAW histogram looks like, regardless of converters used. This leads to the image on the camera LCD being rather flat and dull, but more accurate. The LR settings that I gave are to match these camera settings, rather than the other way around. Many converters, including LR, give a far from accurate portrayal of one's RAW data with their standard import settings, because, generally, the converter is trying to match your standard jpeg camera histogram, or something similar. The problem of this is that it tends to lead many of us to underexposure, because we're not taking full advantage of the headroom that RAW provides. With C1 Pro, setting everything to zero and changing the import curve to the "linear" setting works. With RT, just setting the import settings to "neutral" works. If anything, using these techniques is the most important with LR, because it has more of a difficult time with the A900 compared to other converters, and can cause a bit more of a mess if you're underexposed.

The fall may be a good time for me to come to a workshop. Keep me posted.
    Thanks Doug that sounded better to me 7 clicks of adjustments to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not I still smoke
    SMOKE what.......

CONGRATS Terry /looks like a FAB System!!

-H

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, Guy, those owls look INSANE. Very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea seriously they are so big it's scary. I maybe small enough they would think I am dinner. We have no cats or small dogs in my neighborhood, I wonder why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was literally making a joke to some friends 20 minutes ago about owls taking off with their new little doggie. Weird.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I waited and waited for the battery charge. Just when I got the green light it got incredibly windy and the fog started its late afternoon onslaught. I managed to get one of my standard bridge shots and barely one flower before heading inside to my one blooming orchid. Don't worry, I promise I won't bore the forum with silliness . Oh yeah, what was the first lens on the camera?

Attachment 16585

Attachment 16586

Attachment 16587

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry - those are very nice, so the A900 was a good move.
    How do you like the feel of it compared to the Nikon?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Terry - those are very nice, so the A900 was a good move.
    How do you like the feel of it compared to the Nikon?
    I like the feel of the camera a lot. I still need to do a lot of playing with it but it will be an easier learning process as it is simpler than the Nikon.

I still have the D700 and plan to shoot them side by side over the long weekend. I have the 24-70 lens for each so, it will be really interesting.

Now, I just need to figure out which direction to head in each day. Probably will start at the ferry market in the AM before heading to the coast.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time with the new camera. I bet the first lens on was the 135. Looking forward to what you do over the weekend.

Diane

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug,
    Let me see if I understand the LR processing. Once I set the camera to your settings, the jpeg thumbnail for the lcd will be very close to the RAW. Then if I back out the settings in LR then I will be in synch. In other words:

raw capture = what I see on the LCD = what I see when I import into LR.

Without doing that, the camera underexposes a bit in RAW, the jpeg setting on the camera shows a well exposed jpeg and LR makes those same changes on import, so it looks like everything is honky dory but you aren't getting all you can out of the file?

So: this shot was done without making your in camera settings but I did the LR changes below:

Attachment 16590

Attachment 16589

So, if I had made the suggested adjustments in the camera and got the proper histogram exposure, I would have a much better exposure than what I show above?

If all of that is true, I should take these settings and make a preset that I use on import? Do you make any changes to the default sharpening in LR?

Finally, I understand your spot metering setting but do you ever use the center weighted or matrix metering?

Sorry that was a mouthful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

raw capture = what I see on the LCD = what I see when I import into LR.

Without doing that, the camera underexposes a bit in RAW, the jpeg setting on the camera shows a well exposed jpeg and LR makes those same changes on import, so it looks like everything is honky dory but you aren't getting all you can out of the file?

So: this shot was done without making your in camera settings but I did the LR changes below:

So, if I had made the suggested adjustments in the camera and got the proper histogram exposure, I would have a much better exposure than what I show above?

If all of that is true, I should take these settings and make a preset that I use on import? Do you make any changes to the default sharpening in LR?

Finally, I understand your spot metering setting but do you ever use the center weighted or matrix metering?

Sorry that was a mouthful!
    It sounds like you've pretty much got the gist of it all. Of course, this still isn't gonna get you an exact interpretation of RAW, but it'll be a lot closer. Do you have a handle on the whole uniWB thing?

As far as sharpening, when I was using lightroom, I actually just turned it all off and did it in PS. Adobe's conversion methods don't jive too well with cameras that have good color separation, like the A900, and I found that using the LR sharpening just exacerbated the problem.

I use matrix metering for non-critical snap shots, or if I need to shoot quickly, but when you're trying to really eek out the most exposure to the sensor that you can on critical stuff, matrix metering in all cams is a bit too inconsistent to me. If you set the AEL button to "spot meter toggle" it's pretty easy to get a quick spot meter when in matrix mode. You may want to try playing around with Intelligent Preview, also. It's pretty cool.

I also forgot to mention that ISO 320 is actually the ISO sweetspot of the A900. ISO 200 has linearity problems with the shadows, which Andrey outlined the other day in Shelby's wedding pic thread. Below ISO 200 is just an overexposure of ISO 200, so it isn't that useful, either, unless you're shooting jpegs. take care, d

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Douglas!
    Great having people around that have thoroughly dissected the camera and all of the settings.

I will work with the metering tomorrow.

I don't have a handle on the UniWB. I will go back and look for the information posted about it but a few words from you would be very helpful.

Again many thanks,
    Terry

Edit:
    Found the thread and will work on that tomorrow. Will I be totally screwed up if I use all the settings from above and don't use uniWB?
    Last edited by Terry; 22nd May 2009 at 20:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, no problem. When I was shooting a Leaf digital back, I decided to buy an A100 in order to have a small camera around. Now I've been shooting Sony cameras almost three years, so I've had a chance to familiarize myself with the ins and outs of them...not to mention I've been taking a lot of advice from Andrey and Iliah Borg.

UniWB is a practice that I've experimenting with only in the past six months, and I don't always use it, but I try to. The obvious disadvantage of it is that you get a nice, Incredible Hulk green on all of your images, which has to be fixed in your raw converter. The advantage of it being that you get an even more accurate histogram, because it gives you an approximation of your RAW file before WB is applied. All white balance really is is the gaining up of the red and blue channel to equal the green channel. You'll find that in using uniWB in daylight, your green channel is nearly always the first channel to blow in the histogram. Not only does uniWB make your histogram more accurate, but it also shows that one can use magenta filters to equalize the color channels and get a stop or two more DR in daylight....but that's another topic that should be dealt with in its own thread.

As far uniWB necessity, that's really up to you. Sometimes what I do is meter with uniWB, and then switch back to my normal WB settings once I've got my correct exposure, and that way my pics aren't green on the lcd preview. If you decide not to use it, ultimately, you can approximate it by just looking at your green channel when you're shooting in daylight. ie, if you're in daylight, and your histogram shows the reds or blues clipping, ignore it, and expose up until the green channel nearly clips. Obviously, this is a little risky, but it's rare that the green channel doesn't actually clip first in daylight, regardless of what your histogram says. In tungsten lighting, things get a bit more complicated, because reds are stronger. Does this make sense?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Douglas,

Unbelievably it makes sense. What I really think I will like is setting exposure with uniWB and then going back to a regular WB setting. I think it would be really disconcerting for me to always see the green preview image on the LCD and feel comfortable that all was OK with the shot. I think when I am shooting at a slower pace the intelligent preview will also be helpful in making sure the greens don't blow.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There
    Just to be contrary. Although I completely subscribe to most of Douglas theories, I've found that setting a white balance (daylight in my case) and then sticking to it rigidly means that you really get to understand the colour balance of the camera, added to which you aren't trying to standardise the colour in natural environments when you're really trying to capture the nature of the light rather than a mid grey.
    Of course, if you're taking shots indoors of paintings it's a different matter, but outdoors I think it's a good principle.
    It also means that if you do want to change it in post processing you can easily make a batch change to all your images . . . but I find it does a grand job anyway.

It's a bit like deciding to settle for a particular film stock and then sticking to it, it becomes part of you, rather then dithering about from one setting to another.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly the same here. I shoot 99% daylight, and mostly at ISO 100. I'm sure Douglas has a point, but I like to keep my life simple, and trust the camera manufacturer with the settings. I am getting excellent results with my A900 and IDC so I don't feel any need to change what I'm doing. Like Jono, I consider WB and the different creative styles as different kinds of film. I think the A900 produces excellent color without any external help.

HI There
    Just to be contrary. Although I completely subscribe to most of Douglas theories, I've found that setting a white balance (daylight in my case) and then sticking to it rigidly means that you really get to understand the colour balance of the camera, added to which you aren't trying to standardise the colour in natural environments when you're really trying to capture the nature of the light rather than a mid grey.
    Of course, if you're taking shots indoors of paintings it's a different matter, but outdoors I think it's a good principle.
    It also means that if you do want to change it in post processing you can easily make a batch change to all your images . . . but I find it does a grand job anyway.

It's a bit like deciding to settle for a particular film stock and then sticking to it, it becomes part of you, rather then dithering about from one setting to another.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm in the I would not worry about WB being so close like 200 or 300 kelvin off the mark would be okay but any more than that like shooting daylight setting in tungsten light for example will just screw up the file otherwise you can do well in any of the RC to make the small corrections. Making big sweeping changes is the one you want to avoid. I think right now get used to using the camera and getting a feel for everything and as you become more familiar with it than start making these changes.

Many times we let the tech jump in there before we understand what it is doing and that learning curve gets bigger for now keep it simple, your not after the gold winning image at the moment but more testing it's capabilities and get the hang of it. It's like going on a date you just want to know what the other person is made of not all of there issues off the bat. Like that analogy . Hell I have not been on a date for 24 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW I want some Raws of your images Terry . Like to process them in C1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm in the I would not worry about WB being so close like 200 or 300 kelvin off the mark would be okay but any more than that like shooting daylight setting in tungsten light for example will just screw up the file otherwise you can do well in any of the RC to make the small corrections. Making big sweeping changes is the one you want to avoid. I think right now get used to using the camera and getting a feel for everything and as you become more familiar with it than start making these changes.
    HI Guy
    I wasn't advocating using Daylight white balance in Tungsten
    to be honest, when lighting get's mixed and artificial, THAT'S when I use AWB - or a custom WB.

But to use daylight in natural light (whatever kind of natural light it may be), gives you a really good feel for the colour of the camera. It also gives you an excellent version of the light you actually saw.

I agree with what Edward said (and I think what you meant). Keep it simple and you'll learn about the camera. Which produces great colour in raws if it's just left on Daylight.

The spot metering on the button is an absolute wonder though - I leave mine on matrix almost all the time, and if I think it's wrong it's so easy to take a spot reading with one press of the button.

Just this guy you know