The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scanner tips & tricks?

MrSlezak

Hi all –

It looks as if I am going to be the family scanner for images, and I’m looking for some good resources to read , tips and pointers. I have access to a Nikon Coolscan V ED, and it looks like over forty-years of B/W & color negatives, Ektrachrome and Kodachome to scan.

I think I’ve got a workflow laid out and I know a good portion of the work will come post scan in both color correcting images from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and for the b/w images from the 50’s and 60’s, adding contrast as well as trying to nail down relevant metadata for the images from my parents and in-laws.
I’ve got three major question areas:

How best to clean old source material
In some cases, the negs and chromes have been well taken care of, but at a glance there are number of mildewed images that I’ve got little idea how to clean. I’ve ready PEC-10 is good, but then I’ve read rubbing alcohol is ok. I’m not at all clear on my options – if any. My thinking for slides was to strip the cardboard mount, clean the image and remount in a glass-less plastic mount for the real ‘keepers’ I might find…. For negatives I was going to get some carriers from Light Impressions or something to store them in.

Just where does one buy a scanner today
I was thinking I would just bite the bullet and get a Nikon Coolscan 9000 but I can’t find one in stock anywhere. So looking at other scanner options it seems as if just about any model I can find a decent set of specs on it on back order, or else discontinued according to the manufacturer’s website. I’d love to think there is a wave of new scanners coming out, but I’m guessing my best bet is to stick with the Coolscan V I have access to – I can’t find much wrong with it, other than it seems to be a middle-of-the-road scanner.

Color correction – plug-ins, or manual?
Playing with some of demo plug-ins from Kodak’s Applied Science Fiction they seem to do a great job without much twiddling, yet other times they miss completely. Any suggestions on plug-in’s, or should I just rely on setting the white-balance?
I’m sure none of these are simple or even straight forward answers, but after spending time in a couple different search engines I’ve not found anything good advice wise to work with so am hoping someone here has some pointers/suggestions…

Thanks!

-- M.