Site Sponsors

Thread: Capture Integration in Carmel CA

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Capture Integration in Carmel CA

Anyone who knows Ken Doo and myself realize at the offset we're slightly different. Make that more fun loving, slightly quirky. Ken's in is mid 40s and I turn 65 next year; we both act like adolescents and that's on a good day!

Ken and I have been friends for sometime now and decided a few years ago to begin hosting a gathering called "Pigs in a Blanket" after a great breakfast place near Carmel. Our first "Pigs" was 2009 when everyone who came met Chris Lawrey of Capture Integration fame. 2010 brought out Doug which we fear scared him for life then 2011 Dave Gallagher decided to add some class to the act. Nothing happened in 2012 and that wasn't because we were on probation - at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

2013 brings us back together February 15th to 17th or 18th depending on a plan Ken has up his sleeve. This isn't a workshop but more of a gathering of like mined people. I understand that while Dave Gallagher will be bringing out tech cameras he'll also have other goodies in his bags. We've never charged a dime for this thinking that you get what you pay for. That said - Dave will be presenting a half day class on C1Pro which there will be a $49.00 charge for. There's limited seating for the class and you'll need to contact Dave directly for this.

So if this isn't a "Pigs in a Blanket" then what do we call this? How bout Capture Integrations heads west?

Plan on shooting half a day in and around San Francisco before turning south on the coast with dinner in Half Moon Bay and shooting at Pigeon Point lighthouse at sunset. Saturday and Sunday will be full days and if Ken gets his way we may have a surprise tour on Monday.

Count this as advance warning on what isn't being called "Pigs in a Blanket #4" but will be just as much fun as if it were.

We'll be posting more information shortly. If you're in the Carmel, Monterey, San Francisco area or else where for that matter and want to join us let us know. Just make certain your shots are up to date.....

Don
    Last edited by Don Libby; 17th December 2012 at 14:40. Reason: changed title
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Capture Integration in Carmel CA

You can register for Capture Integration in Carmel 2013 with Capture Integration in Atlanta, and there should be something on the CI website shortly. Cost for the weekend is $49, and this includes lunch on Sunday. No Pigs in a Blanket (at least not mandatory) this year so you're safe Jack...

Following the Capture One Pro 7 class on Sunday, we're planning an intro to B&W K7 MPS printing (matte and glossy) using the studio's newly converted 9890. The idea is to print images that have been worked up from the weekend, but if you've got a special image to print in B&W, contact me for information on how to prepare your file (full res 16 bit TIFF grayscale) for print.

I'll have a pdf of the tentative schedule for this year's CI in Carmel available shortly... I think you can search GetDPI for "CI in Carmel" or "Pigs" to view threads on previous years' outings...

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I've been a bit slow to get the pdf of our tentative schedule posted---it's the holidays and I've been swamped!

We're still working on some details...

Reservations for CI in Carmel can be accomplished at the Capture Integration Website. From the top menu bar, click on "Company" and scroll down to "Events." Though the wine may be flowing freely, you can ignore the "wine country" description---that's actually a future endeavor for Wine, Dine, and Schwein in Napa.

ken
    Last edited by kdphotography; 22nd February 2013 at 08:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I will be in the neighborhood the day before but the big question is will Mariah be there?
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    OK, I will be in the neighborhood the day before but the big question is will Mariah be there?
    -bob
    Is this one of those trick questions? If I answer "yes" I'm sure this will peak (or is that peek?) the interest of at least a handful of guys. On the other hand, this may also mean at least several guys being denied permission to attend by their significant others...

There may be a different guest appearance depending on the schedule...I'm working on it so that's all I can say for now...

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Pique."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

How are we on the police permits?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Should I be carrying?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Should I be carrying?
    In studio we're okay since the property is privately held. Out and about on location I'm still checking on necessary permits for this cool new accessory that we just installed on Don't truck just in time for CI in Carmel: TRAILER-HITCH-MOUNTED STRIPPER POLE - Dave Barry Gift Guide - MiamiHerald.com

And the double-good news is that it also doubles as a studio camera stand on location.

Bob, if you're up to it I guess you can carry her. Someone's gotta help the ladies up onto Don's truck....
    (okay, so it really is Don dancing on the truck...)
    Last edited by kdphotography; 27th December 2012 at 14:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have signed up.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ditto.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm interested, will see if my NY biz will let me escape...
    the days are fri, sat, sun? feb 15, et al?

Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to seeing you all there!

Are you bringing your new Alpa FPS, Graham?

Hope you can make it John---There will be a heavy technical camera presence and I think it would be great to have you share your handiwork, such as your viewfinder and the HPF ring work.

Itinerary schedule remains flexible and I'm still working on alternatives/options as may be needed.

Some have asked about Carmel-Monterey hotels. There are tons of places in the Carmel area, all are very nice and most have that Carmel (dante's) surcharge. Carmel Resort Inn (cottages) run from $170, and are located only a few blocks from my studio. Carmel Resort Inn Cottages, Hotels in Carmel By The Sea, California

The Hilton Garden Inn in Monterey is just off the Aguajito exit, minutes from Carmel. Hotels in Monterey, CA - Hilton Garden Inn Monterey Hotel

Late add: Quality Inn. $73. 1058 Munras Ave., Monterey, CA, US, 93940 Phone: (831) 372-3381.

There are many other hotels available in the area, including the Hyatt, Embassy Suites, and Holiday Inn Express...

ken
    Last edited by kdphotography; 7th January 2013 at 11:15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I look forward to seeing you all there!

Are you bringing your new Alpa FPS, Graham?
    You're a bad influence! Thankfully my toy budget is already spent on some travel this year.

But, never say never

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

made my room reservations at the carmel resort inn, friday and sat nites

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing everyone there! (I'll be the slightly taller guy)
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

We're fully booked.

Proposed itinerary/schedule is flexible if needed to account for weather. Best photography conditions often precede/follow what lay people think might be horrible weather. But if it does get miserable stormy outside, that's no fun either. A figure model session is planned in studio as an option (think B&W K7 printing) , as well as expanded C1Pro 7 class time and B&W K7 printing.

If you have a special B&W image that you would like to print (as opposed to one from the CI weekend), bring a full resolution, 16 bit TIF image file on a thumb drive. Contact me on how the file should be prepared for K7 printing.

I look forward to seeing everyone there! I'll be the slightly shorter guy. But not as funny looking.

ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

And so it begins....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any recommended hotels for the nights?

Post Thanks / Like

Be aware that CI in Carmel starts in San Francisco at the Sutro Baths on Friday, February 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM. Our route takes us down the coast from Half Moon Bay down Hwy 1. The day ends back in Carmel, which is about a two hour drive from SF.

Those coming in from out of town may wish to start their stays in SF, and then seek hotels in the Carmel-Monterey area for the remainder of the weekend.

If you scan upwards on this thread (Post #13) you will see a few hotels/places to stay. The local area is somewhat small, and everything seems to be a "ten minute drive" to Carmel. It is a tourist destination and there are many excellent hotels and restaurants.

Ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just got off the phone with Ken and we have the following thoughts...

We are planning on meeting everyone at the parking lot for Sutro Baths as close to noon as possible. Sutro Baths for anyone who hasn't seen them is a crazy place right on the water which offers great opportunities for b&w, infrared, as well as color. This should also be a great place to breakout the tech cams.

The second place after lunch is the Golden Gate Bridge - you can't come to SFO and not see or least attempt to capture this bridge. Leaving SFO and heading south on the coastal highway with a stop in the Half Moon Bay area for dinner before continuing south to shoot Pigeon Point Lighthouse at sunset; and from there into Carmel/Monterey area. Plan on Friday being a somewhat long day.

Saturday we meet at Ken's Studio around 6 a.m. before heading out for the day.

We'll have printed itineraries that will include contact information available Friday when we meet. Which brings us to the Big Sur area on Saturday. Cell phone service is only slightly better than 2-tin cans on a string. Text messages work sometimes better than actual cell phone so if you're trying to contact us please be patient.

Don

Recommendations for hotels are listed above....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not certain this has been said however we are completely SOLD OUT! Dave says that we were sold out in 2-very short weeks. Actually we seem to have more than what we (Ken & I) anticipated.

Don

Also please remember that when you PM about this please do so to both Ken (kdphotography) & I so that at least one of us can answer promptly.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I'd share a couple quick snaps of Don snooping out some of the locations in preparation for CI in Carmel... That first location with the Sea Stacks isn't the most difficult, maybe an eight on the difficulty scale, but the scramble up and down the cliff wall certainly is not for the faint of heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking forward to the weekend.

No FPS but I do have my new 23Hr
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 13th February 2013 at 00:59.

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer about the FPS---you must be on backorder list, right?

Not much consolation, but at least you'll get a new CI in Carmel rain shower cap for your Alpa...

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,

Do you check your gear when traveling by air, or just reserve an extra seat?

Steve

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

He needs a whole row. LOL

Wish I could be there but ill be down the road a bit in Santa Barbara. Have fun folks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ken and Don checking Garrapata this morning. Ken's grown a little while Don has shrunk with age.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Scouting this morning at Garrapata State Park - Phase DF/IQ160 80mm f/8 1/180 ISO50

The real fun begins in 48 hours
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought I'd put up some images from last weekend's CI in Carmel 2013. I invite others to do the same and share!

I did get to try the new Phase/Schneider 240LS. It's a beast, but well balanced with the DF camera body. Beautiful lens. I would have liked to try it out the LS with strobes but was too busy running around. Quick three shot pano. Pigeon Point Sunset. DF, IQ180, 240LS.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My absence from the board and this thread has been due partially to working in an area with spotty internet before coming down with a cold from hell. We're back home recuperating and have just begun to take a look at the images shot. These were both from Sandy on Friday night. More to come.....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i recognize the hat...

Post Thanks / Like

You missed a great tour at the RRS facility, John! Of course, Don went down with us to RRS in San Luis Obispo and missed the tour anyway. It's sorta intimidating when some 6'9" guy is following (stalking) the employees around the facility and won't leave unless he has a TVC-34L tripod in hand...

And yes---they do have a machine shop there.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Garrapata.

Cambo WRS, IQ180, 40HR. ISO 35; 58 second exposure.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to share these from CI in Carmel.

Dave working out the back of his truck...
    Kristen double checking something....
    Dave over looking Pigeon Point Light House and barley able to walk let along hobble down there...
    I'm acting as a shade for Graham...
    Just some of the things Dave brought with him; this was taken shortly after the table was picked clean..
    Ken helping Kristen with long exposure off a Leaf back at Pfeiffer Beach.

More to come.

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At first I didn't notice the hat in your hand, and thought your entire being was functioning as a sunshade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would post a few but they are NSFW.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

I would post a few but they are NSFW.
    -bob
    Whoa. You spent a whole weekend in a landscape workshop and all you have are NSFW images to show for it?? Of course, we all were taking bets on how long it would take Bob to convince the park ranger at Fort Point/Fort Mason to take off their clothes and pose for him with the Golden Gate Bridge as a backdrop....

Seriously, though, Bob---you took some really beautiful and tasteful figure images of Sandra. Definitely worthy of sharing.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Whoa. You spent a whole weekend in a landscape workshop and all you have are NSFW images to show for it?? Of course, we all were taking bets on how long it would take Bob to convince the park ranger at Fort Point/Fort Mason to take off their clothes and pose for him with the Golden Gate Bridge as a backdrop....

Seriously, though, Bob---you took some really beautiful and tasteful figure images of Sandra. Definitely worthy of sharing.

ken

Ok, I did, they are in the NSFW forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I finally finished processing my Carmel Files. It was a great weekend meeting some great photogrphers. Many thanks to Ken, Don and Capture Integration for making it happen!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Bob for sharing with us. It was nice to meet with you in person as well.

Subrata

Ok, I did, they are in the NSFW forum.