The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A milestone of sorts...

jdphoto

I'll admit i've been a patsy to "Big Camera's" gimmicks of planned obsolescence with upgrading in smaller cycles. Though, I'm not sure how much better a camera can get. I've been sidetracked by features I don't need and relied on technology to offset bad technique. I started to become lazy. Relentless searching of reviews and trying to convince myself I need this technology have actually made me complacent with my art. Actually, my first digital camera was a 6mp Canon 10D. That camera still takes amazing photos when paired with the 85mm 1.2! Buying the latest camera gear is expensive, personal and emotional for some. I began to appreciate the influence a camera's character had on my own inspiration and it was almost always a film camera. Starkly simple and primitive by today's standards, but at the very core of what photography is for me in its most tangible form. Digital has it's place no doubt, but I had to really think about my primary goals and needs. If I need a really big image, I can rent the latest and greatest without the emotional attachment or devaluation when the next model is announced. This mindset has become liberating for me as I slum it with my Fuji x100F and Sony A7RII. With these two cameras I can accomplish almost any photography task. I can synch flash up to 1/1000th of a second (even higher with the A7RII and Elinchrom HS) and this is not the lower output of HSS, but full power sync! The Sony rivals my MFD photos @ 16x20 and the extensive stable of lenses is incredible at a fraction of the price of MFD. Digital technology has not made me a better photographer, but it has given me an accelerated course on theory to some extent. I'll use that knowledge with my current gear to achieve better technique - I just don't need a new camera to do that. These are obviously personal thoughts as it applies to my photography needs, and a refreshing reprieve from the madness from planned obsolescence.

Last edited: