Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terry has a Camera system dilemma

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry has a Camera system dilemma

Okay she is taking a trip to Iceland and she has a D700 and a 24-70 lens and maybe a another lens and was thinking of buying a 14-24 and 70-200. Than I said sell it and buy a Sony A900 16-35,24-70 Zeiss zooms and the 70-200 Sony zoom. This way she has a high resolution system on board this trip. The money after figuring it out is relatively the same.

Okay the challenge for today is figure this out for her trip. Nikon D700 Vs Sony A900 kit

Nikon glass 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 or
    Sony/Zeiss glass 16-35,24-70 and 70-200

Body Nikon D700 vs Sony A900. Let's figure the max she will need ISO is 800

I say Sony what do you say.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Terry has a Camera system dilemma

If it where me I would use the Sony with the CZ 24-70 and the G 70-300 thats it. Nice compact, relatively speaking, high rez kit. If you need wider than a 24, stitch a two or three frame pano. Of corse a M8 to tag along.
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

She can borrow my 70-200VR.

Ranger 9

What does Terry shoot for which 12 megapixels isn't enough, but 24 megapixels is?

Snarkification on this subjecit

Post Thanks / Like

I say keep the Nikon if you (Terry) shoot it comfortably. Have a great trip, take some enjoyable photos, come home, print the ones you like as large as you want. Is 16x24" large enough?

IOW, I'm thinking along the lines of Ranger 9's point.

If the goal is to make mostly 24x36" prints then I'm on-board with an "up-grade". If 16x24" prints are the likely goal I wonder if the change is needed.

Of course, if what appeals to a person is mostly resolution in an image and their photographic style is such that they seek out scenes that require it to "translate" the desired image, then one might go for the "up-grade".

Now, if one just wants the blessing of friends before getting into a cool Sony A900 kit, then I, for one, am here to support you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I guess I look at this slightly different because being a Pro there are things money wise to consider to a certain degree and this still comes down to the hobbyist. First this is a maybe once in a lifetime trip and lot's of money to go and all that . Now for me I am thinking once in a lifetime images but also stock as well and also if you want to get past the Epson 3800 print size and really go big and sell prints. I guess I think more on the lines of going for the throat of the matter, if I am going through all this time and money than I want the biggest gun I can carry comfortable on board. Just never know what life throws at you or even better what the Art God's may open up a amazing image to you. Man I think I would choke myself if I had a once in a lifetime shot on a P&S. Okay that was exaggerating but you get my drift. Maybe I am a pig and just like to have the biggest gun in my hands, I like the no excuses mentality and have run into this with clients and my main reason to go MF. Now i would not hesitate a second to bring my MF gear but that is me. I think having a 22 mpx back or camera in this case is just really covering it. But of course that is my thinking
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Heck, having owned a D700, I'd say keep what you have. Res numbers aren't everything. Of course, I shoot with 50 year old lenses and film, so what do I know? All that gear would be way too big and heavy for me to cart around anyway.

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Of course, if what appeals to a person is mostly resolution in an image and their photographic style is such that they seek out scenes that require it to "translate" the desired image, then one might go for the "up-grade".
    For that sort of person, a mere 24mp DSLR is unlikely to be enough. He (and I say "he" because it's almost always a he) will need the biggest, latest 65-megapixel medium-format back and a camera body to go with it... not to mention all the storage and post-production power required to use it, and the fortitude to dump it in a few months when an 80-whatever-megapixel back becomes available.

Then again, it might be more cost-effective to keep shooting with whatever's comfortable, and simply spend the extra cash hiring lackeys and syncophants to tell you how fabulous your pictures are...

Ranger 9

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just never know what life throws at you or even better what the Art God's may open up a amazing image to you. Man I think I would choke myself if I had a once in a lifetime shot on a P&S.
    If you think that way, you'll find you always feel at risk for encountering some transcendantly wonderful image for which whatever equipment you have isn't "good" enough. You'll be hauling around a whole camera store and constantly worrying that you should have brought more.

Meanwhile, although the chances are slim, maybe a once-in-a-lifetime shot will happen -- and while you're distracted by managing all that gear, somebody else will pull out a P&S and capture it. (And if it really IS a "once-in-a-lifetime" shot, nobody will care what it was shot with.)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have both set ups.

I'd say if the goal is sweeping scenics and general travel imagery the combination of 25 meg and Zeiss color and characteristics could make a difference. 16-35 and 70-200 are good choices ... you can probably get away with just those two since the files are so big you can crop a bit. Maybe add a 50/1.4 since it is pretty small.

If it is shooting more street stuff like you would in NYC, or in low ambient light ... the D700 would be my choice.

I don't agree that there is no difference. It's just whether you can take advantage of the differences. Given the choice where both will perform well, I would always choose a higher meg since it allows options like cropping, or is more resilient with modifications, and in general the tonal gradations and depth are a bit nicer as you take the image up larger.

Just my experience from using both. If it were my trip and I didn't want to lug a MFD kit, I'd select my Sony well ahead of my Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I don't really disagree with you. I would take my MF gear without question. But that's also why I asked what the printing goal might be. And we also now know that Terry is not going for a few months so would have time to get to know her new kit.

Still, I find a lot of people obsessing over pixels when our photography would benefit more from polishing our compositions, vision of light, etc. Some of us are limited more by issues other than equipment.

I always think about my shot as being "the one" that I really need a perfect file for, because I would really HATE to get "that" shot and realize that it should have been on a bigger, better camera. I also find that harboring that sort of thinking can mess up one's (my) creativity.

So I kind of look at it as "if it's time for a new kit, get it". But I also feel that great images can be made with the kit one is most comfortable with.

(And if I were being honest, if not taking MF gear I'd likely go with a Canon 5D2 or better, but large prints are my goal.)
    Last edited by Dale Allyn; 8th May 2009 at 10:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know I fall in the pig camp, no question about that. I like the D700 but for me I would just get as big and comfortable. I agree on ourselves and our creativity no question. Reason I said comfortable and i meant that in shooting as well as the physical aspects.

I just have this issue with getting burned again. As I did with a client , never said a word to me until I showed them the new MF system and what it could do and there comment was yea we noticed what your other one can't do. That went into my head and has never left my thoughts. It's not so much the MPX it is the quality coming out and from what I have seen that Sony has mojo. Maybe one reason I never complained about the P25+ even though only a 22mpx box the files screamed quality.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

If I were getting paid to lug around gear, I would seriously consider the Sony or whatever else. Not being paid, I wouldn't carry anything bigger/heavier than I'm willing to carry all day.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    If it where me I would use the Sony with the CZ 24-70 and the G 70-300 thats it. Nice compact, relatively speaking, high rez kit. If you need wider than a 24, stitch a two or three frame pano. Of corse a M8 to tag along.
    I'm with Mike on this one (but then, I'm always with Mike :sleep006::sleep006

Except that, for those extreme wide moments, a 12-24 sigma produces the drama without sacrificing too much on the IQ, and it's light and reasonably small as well.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    If I were getting paid to lug around gear, I would seriously consider the Sony or whatever else. Not being paid, I wouldn't carry anything bigger/heavier than I'm willing to carry all day.
    Not so sure there is a big weight/size difference here but a very good point

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, your points are valid. How do they compare to Terry's thinking? You adapt to new gear very quickly, some folks struggle with the change and experience a ramping up time.

I think of Iceland as a "landscape destination" and therefore larger prints. And I agree that, from what I have seen, the A900 + Zeiss (and better Sony) glass produces better files for most landscape scenarios than the D700. I'm just a bit conservative about flipping gear I guess. I've seen people show up with new gear and fumble with it, and I'd hate for Terry (or anyone) to experience that on a special trip.

Still, I think Terry should consider how important printing large is to her, and how large is "large enough".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having read everyone else's posts (always a good idea before you wade in). I'll refine my reason for the Sony.

Of course, the extra resolution and the Zeiss glass is not to be ignored, but in general terms, when I swapped my D700 for the Sony, it was like having a great weight lifted off my shoulders . .. not because of the weight (not much in it although the sony body is lighter) However:

1. for landscape I think the Sony colour 'out of the box' is in a different world
    2. the camera menus are comprehensible, rememberable and good to use.
    3. if you don't want high ISO, and you're shooting in high contrast light, then the Sony highlight characteristics are wonderful.
    4. The lenses Mike suggested (24-70 and 70-300) both focus rather close (no need for a macro backup)

This is not meant to be a dig at the D700, it's better in lots of ways than the A900, but on a 'once in a lifetime' trip to Iceland it doesn't have so many advantages (IMVHO of course)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not so sure there is a big weight/size difference here but a very good point
    There is with my gear. That's why I no longer have a D700...I'd be taking a Contax G2, 4 lenses, and Velvia for landscape shots. Light shouldn't be an issue, so no problem with slow film. And the resolution of a full frame 35mm transparency with professional scans will rival any of the pro DSLRs that are far heavier and bulkier.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M8 + a few lenses
    Alpa 12 TC + Schneider 35XL, Schneider 47XL, + any back you prefer (film or digital)
    DMR + 100 macro, 180/2.8, 280mm or 2x for the 180, + another 1 or 2 in your desired focal length

That should cover it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm kind of with CMB on this one. Terry has an M8 and (unless she has sold them) some really good M lenses. So if 12Mpx (the D700) is good enough resolution I would bet so would 10+ Mpx of the M8 and you would not be lugging around any heavy gear. I know that Guy and I both shot the Leica/Porsche trip in Germany two summers ago with nothing but M8's and lenses and the files turned out great.

However if I was motivated to come back and print my files at 24x36 or larger then, no question, get the A900 and don't look back. Only downside is that now you have two systems (Sony + Nikon) and you will probably want to sell the Nikon. Then a year from now along comes the D700X and you may be buying those Nikon lenses back again.

Man it was nice when we bought once and shot many as in the days of film equipment.

Woody

Ranger 9

IIt's not so much the MPX it is the quality coming out and from what I have seen that Sony has mojo.
    As measured by DPReview's Kyoritsu KM-4150 digital mojometer, no doubt...

...seriously, it sounds as if your mind is already made up and you've already worked out all the rationalizations you need for your decision, so why are we wasting our time here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Snip...
    so why are we wasting our time here?
    'Cuz it beats gettin' back to work. It's more enjoyable to schmooze among friends, especially if it involves spending someone else's (Terry's in this case) money!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    However if I was motivated to come back and print my files at 24x36 or larger then, no question, get the A900 and don't look back. Only downside is that now you have two systems (Sony + Nikon) and you will probably want to sell the Nikon. Then a year from now along comes the D700X and you may be buying those Nikon lenses back again.
    HI Woody
    When I bought the A900, I worried about this too. Now however, I'd no more dream of getting a D700x than flying to the moon. The combination of:

1. the colour on the A900 (for outdoor and landscape you understand)
    2. sensor based image stabilisation (or whatever it is which allows all us A900 users to shoot handheld at silly slow shutter speeds . . whilst D3x users are insisting you need a tripod).
    3. the Zeiss glass
    4. the user defined settings and general 'easy to use' aspect of it.

means that for my mixed nature / landscape stuff (which is, what most of us amateurs shoot), I'm not even slightly interested in a D700 with the D3x sensor.

Of course, other people have different priorities.

In Terry's case, I'd recommend finding someone with an A900 + 24-70 and spending a couple of hours playing with it, then go home and process a few raw files.

Just this guy you know

nei1

Guy,this is a holiday no?Take a step away from what is normal for you,take a film camera,one lens and relax.You"ll come back with a clear head and some great images,you have my word.Have a great time,all the best...Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On a serious safari? MF and an M8
    Going to have a good time (not terribly worried about telephotos) maybe an M8
    If you think you need a dslr, I have shot the Sony, Nikons, and Canons.
    D700-D3 (I hated the files) although the handling is great and the ergo is wonderful at least for me D3X files are looking better, but waiting for a D700x wore me out
    Sony, considered, but short but nice lens list, very limited rental base, limited software support, new entrant, (a very young, impetuous immature and undisciplined company by Japanese standards)
    Canon 5DII, handles like a pig, needs gaffer's tape to keep the idiot dial from turning, files are very good (not like MF, but not bad) not too heavy, good rental base, wide line of good lenses, all the ZF lenses can be used. AF not as good as Nikon, but files much nicer. ISO 800 cleaner than Sony, ISO 400 "normal"
    So I picked up one, a 24-105 , a 70-200 zoom and a 35mm f/1.4
    on the scale, not much heavier than my M8 kit.
    I like the M8 better for walk-about, but I like the Canon (or the Nikon, actually) if I have to bring home the shot.
    -bob

Ranger 9

Speaking (almost interminably, it seems) of "Zeiss glass" ... everybody knows the correct pronunciation of "Zeiss", right?

It's prounounced "ko-SEE-nah"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As measured by DPReview's Kyoritsu KM-4150 digital mojometer, no doubt...

...seriously, it sounds as if your mind is already made up and you've already worked out all the rationalizations you need for your decision, so why are we wasting our time here?
    Well I don't have to make the buy call. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry is actually doing a workshop and maybe I should have said that.

Post Thanks / Like

If it was me I would take an M8 and probably a Mamiya 7 (or 6). But then I have an Imacon scanner sitting on my desk.

All depends on what one's style/end purpose/etc is. I've done plenty of wall size pics shot with 35mm Tri-X and old Nikons that are stunning. And with good software and PS skills 12mp (or 10 in the case of the M8) can be plenty.

I think it should be about what one is comfortable with and what one can afford. All of this equipment jumping doesn't make one a better photographer. Finding something that works for you and sticking with it does.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking (almost interminably, it seems) of "Zeiss glass" ... everybody knows the correct pronunciation of "Zeiss", right? It's prounounced "ko-SEE-nah"...
    My Contax G Zeiss glass has a different pronunciation

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speaking (almost interminably, it seems) of "Zeiss glass" ... everybody knows the correct pronunciation of "Zeiss", right?

It's prounounced "ko-SEE-nah"...

I thought it was ˈkän-ˌtrast

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony get my vote

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow,
    I will write more when I get home and am not fighting typos on my iPhone. The M8 is completely out of the question as my main system. Yes I got lovely shots with it in Moab but some of the shots I was "seeing" were tele shots and not wide angle. That experience is precisely why I went out and bought a Nikon kit. Iceland as far as I can tell is a landscape ideally suited for some long lenses.

So, now we get to output, I do like large prints. I actually find my 17x25 prints feel small in my apartment where my other artwork is much larger. Actually right now I'm considering doing some images on canvas because I do want the larger. I do tend to live in apartments that are more wide open and loft like than traditional.

So right now I own:
    D700
    M8
    G1

I will reply to some individual posts a little later.
    Last edited by Terry; 8th May 2009 at 16:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Terry.

Well, if you are thinking larger than 17x25, Mpx start to factor more, though there are up-rezzing options. However, if you're thinking larger but on canvas, the added resolution may not be so critically needed. Canvas isn't usually chosen as the media of choice for "high-rez precision" so much as a "painterly" look or perhaps a softer and warmer piece of artwork. Now I'm sure others will see this differently (don't jump down my throat), that's just how I interpret the use of canvas for prints.

Soooooo... maybe that gives you an out. Long glass (Nikon and Canon) produces some great results. I find that the DSLRs struggle much more on the wide end. And if you're not shooting waves all the time, there will likely be times when a three to five shot stitch would offer you a big meaty file. Of course the same can be said of the Sony or MF kit, etc.

I hope you have a great time. Iceland is definitely on my list (though I haven't labeled it "once in a lifetime" in my mind, as I would Antarctica, so maybe there'd be a chance to go more than once.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Having read everyone else's posts (always a good idea before you wade in). I'll refine my reason for the Sony.

Of course, the extra resolution and the Zeiss glass is not to be ignored, but in general terms, when I swapped my D700 for the Sony, it was like having a great weight lifted off my shoulders . .. not because of the weight (not much in it although the sony body is lighter) However:

1. for landscape I think the Sony colour 'out of the box' is in a different world
    2. the camera menus are comprehensible, rememberable and good to use.
    3. if you don't want high ISO, and you're shooting in high contrast light, then the Sony highlight characteristics are wonderful.
    4. The lenses Mike suggested (24-70 and 70-300) both focus rather close (no need for a macro backup)

This is not meant to be a dig at the D700, it's better in lots of ways than the A900, but on a 'once in a lifetime' trip to Iceland it doesn't have so many advantages (IMVHO of course)
    What he said!!!

If I were to ever decide to get another "BIG dSLR" system again at this point I would more than likely go with a Sony now.

The colors seem to be impeccable. I like their glass although the lens selection is somewhat limited for now. The usual lengths are covered and I like that the sensor is a very high quality and image stabilized one. I sold all my Canon stuff a little while ago and am not "attached" to any one company anymore.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still on iPhone....

I won't say once in a lifetime but getting two weeks back to back pretty much out of touch isn't always easy so chances are the next chance I get to do a trip like this won't be back to Iceland but to somewhere else.

Only reason I was thinking about doing some prints on canvas was size vs. cost. Last batch of stuff I got framed was incredibly costly and for the San Francisco space I'm currently living in some big canvases would be intersting an somewhat negate the need for more resolution (but at an esthetic cost). Also, my 3800 is back in NY !!!!
    Last edited by Terry; 8th May 2009 at 16:36.

Post Thanks / Like

Yepp. If we spend big bucks on new cameras with more Mpx to make big prints, there's no money left for printing and framing. Keep the old gear, and big prints aren't as good, so are walls look silly with the smaller prints. Catch 22!

Actually, simple gallery style frames (mat black wood or walnut, etc.) and quality, archival mats aren't too bad if you buy a bit of quantity (4 or 10 kits) and mount and assemble them yourself. And it's kind of fun. Though I'm sure there's a size practical limit for the really big stuff if you're doing it yourself. And I imagine that if one is going really large, the canvas option would be a good option. Big walls are definitely a challenge.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    Yepp. If we spend big bucks on new cameras with more Mpx to make big prints, there's no money left for printing and framing. Keep the old gear, and big prints aren't as good, so are walls look silly with the smaller prints. Catch 22!

Actually, simple gallery style frames (mat black wood or walnut, etc.) and quality, archival mats aren't too bad if you buy a bit of quantity (4 or 10 kits) and mount and assemble them yourself. And it's kind of fun. Though I'm sure there's a size practical limit for the really big stuff if you're doing it yourself. And I imagine that if one is going really large, the canvas option would be a good option. Big walls are definitely a challenge.
    Actually there is a treatment that I really like and that is no frame but face mounted under plexiglass. I know Duggal in NY does it although they say you need c-prints but at ICP I've seen a lot of prints exhibited this way and they do say inkjet on the sign. Taking classes at ICP is great because they always have lots of student work hanging and there are a lot of creative interesting framing/display ideas that the students come up with.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    She can borrow my 70-200VR.
    Wow, careful what you wish for.....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I have both set ups.

I'd say if the goal is sweeping scenics and general travel imagery the combination of 25 meg and Zeiss color and characteristics could make a difference. 16-35 and 70-200 are good choices ... you can probably get away with just those two since the files are so big you can crop a bit. Maybe add a 50/1.4 since it is pretty small.

If it is shooting more street stuff like you would in NYC, or in low ambient light ... the D700 would be my choice.

I don't agree that there is no difference. It's just whether you can take advantage of the differences. Given the choice where both will perform well, I would always choose a higher meg since it allows options like cropping, or is more resilient with modifications, and in general the tonal gradations and depth are a bit nicer as you take the image up larger.

Just my experience from using both. If it were my trip and I didn't want to lug a MFD kit, I'd select my Sony well ahead of my Nikon.
    That's exactly what Guy and I talked about and the genesis of his post since either body I am still going to need more glass.....living in NY and needing higher ISO is why I bought and own the Nikon. Hearing all of you rave about the Sony and having the extra megs is nice for this sort of trip.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I'm with Mike on this one (but then, I'm always with Mike :sleep006::sleep006

Except that, for those extreme wide moments, a 12-24 sigma produces the drama without sacrificing too much on the IQ, and it's light and reasonably small as well.
    Ha, what about Oly gear? It's getting no respect here ! Considering I have a G1 and then could use that as a back up body to an Oly kit, surprised that didn't come up.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    M8 + a few lenses
    Alpa 12 TC + Schneider 35XL, Schneider 47XL, + any back you prefer (film or digital)
    DMR + 100 macro, 180/2.8, 280mm or 2x for the 180, + another 1 or 2 in your desired focal length

That should cover it.
    Yeah Charlie.....dream on. Unless you rent your DMR. The Alpa just isn't happening! Remember folks last time I checked I was still working for a bank that got TARP money and if it were up to Mr Rangel and friends I would be taxed at 90% and I will be getting disposable cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by charlesphoto View Post
    If it was me I would take an M8 and probably a Mamiya 7 (or 6). But then I have an Imacon scanner sitting on my desk.

All depends on what one's style/end purpose/etc is. I've done plenty of wall size pics shot with 35mm Tri-X and old Nikons that are stunning. And with good software and PS skills 12mp (or 10 in the case of the M8) can be plenty.

I think it should be about what one is comfortable with and what one can afford. All of this equipment jumping doesn't make one a better photographer. Finding something that works for you and sticking with it does.
    I think this trip calls for longer lenses. I would love to just take my M8 but sadly it may be left at home.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious why Iceland demands long lenses...not to worry, it's a serious question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I think this trip calls for longer lenses. I would love to just take my M8 but sadly it may be left at home.
    I have a friend who traveled to Iceland and he took his Fuji SW690 and the Fuji GW690 (with the normal lens) and shot some amazing landscapes. Real big vistas and his trick was to put a person in them.

Anyway, how about getting a 90 Elmarit for the M8? They can be had on the used market for $700 or so and are exceptional.

It may be interesting to do something totally radical, like bring along a Holga and shoot some NPZ800 for a totally different look from all the clean freaks.

Have fun, and don't let picture taking get in the way of the experience itself.

BTW, your old M8 is going strong after the upgrade. Totally love it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    I'm curious why Iceland demands long lenses...not to worry, it's a serious question.
    This is from the workshop leader:

Speaking in 35mm terms there is use for wide angle lenses down to 16-20 mm and telephotos up to 300-400 mm. Personally I use telephotos quite a lot in landscape shooting to frame distant mountains and find that 300 mm is usually enough reach although I will go up to 500 mm on occasions. For the Puffins 300 mm is enough reach as they are quite tame birds, but longer focal lengths don’t hurt.

This is from our fearless forum leader:

You'll want longer glass for Iceland: lots of distance to see across with not much blocking your views, but often over difficult terrain to cross... All that equals longer glass than you're used to using in Manhattan and San Francisco where you can barely see across the street.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by charlesphoto View Post
    I have a friend who traveled to Iceland and he took his Fuji SW690 and the Fuji GW690 (with the normal lens) and shot some amazing landscapes. Real big vistas and his trick was to put a person in them.

Anyway, how about getting a 90 Elmarit for the M8? They can be had on the used market for $700 or so and are exceptional.

It may be interesting to do something totally radical, like bring along a Holga and shoot some NPZ800 for a totally different look from all the clean freaks.

Have fun, and don't let picture taking get in the way of the experience itself.

BTW, your old M8 is going strong after the upgrade. Totally love it.
    I had a 90 and sold it. Don't laugh but I could never stay within the framelines there was always too much outside the little square and I didn't like framing that way. I am going to take something small and interesting with me.

The idea of going wide but with people is a good one. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, the economy is in the toilet so go buy something new. A special trip is as good of an excuse as any to get new stuff. In addition to helping the economy you will have some more good stuff to post on getdpi for our pleasure.

All kidding aside, I have found that new equipment does re-invigorate my photographic vision. However, the same can be said for visiting a new and exciting place to photograph (e.g., Iceland). I believe you will be happy with your existing equipment in Iceland. On the other hand, if you have your eye on a new system (e.g., Sony A900 system or Phase 30+ system) then this trip is a great excuse.

I hope you have a great trip. I am jealous.

Mark

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Ha, what about Oly gear? It's getting no respect here ! Considering I have a G1 and then could use that as a back up body to an Oly kit, surprised that didn't come up.
    I was thinking E3 originally before I knew you had a D700. Then I saw you weren't really considering taking the G1 (otherwise the two kit lenses offer the focal range you will probably "need.") I figured though if you were questioning whether or not 12 MP would be enough then it wouldn't make much sense to recommend 10 MP outside weather sealing capability.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I was thinking E3 originally before I knew you had a D700. Then I saw you weren't really considering taking the G1 (otherwise the two kit lenses offer the focal range you will probably "need.") I figured though if you were questioning whether or not 12 MP would be enough then it wouldn't make much sense to recommend 10 MP outside weather sealing capability.
    I know, I was just joking with Jono since when I bought the Nikon he tried in vain to get me to buy the E3. The D700 is my best camera and the only weather sealed one that I have so that is why it became the starting point of what to take on the trip. It's that guy GUY who has been planting the more megapixels bug because he wants me to go MF and drops tons of money