The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Yikes, automated aesthetic critique! Anyone tried it?

R

Ranger 9

Here's an intriguing concept: an "inference engine" that claims to rate the aesthetic values of photographs!

Obviously it's more a talking point than anything else (and, maybe less obviously, "aesthetics" isn't always the most important quality of a good photograph.) But it seems to do an eerily good job of recognizing the kinds of photos that get lots of stars of Flickr-type ratings sites.

So far I've only played with pointing a couple of my own images at it, and I'm baffled by what makes it go. For example, it liked this image a lot, giving it an 87 out of a possible 100:

And it liked this, giving it 82 out of 100:

But it didn't like this at all, giving it only 22.9 out of 100:

And my big winner so far, getting 99.3 out of 100 (!!) is this:

Now honestly, does that make any sense to you? It seems to like grainy b&w photos of cars, but beyond that...?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
This thing is seriously Fubared. Several of my images which have sold or won local shows were in the 40's but this was 94.2. No cars but a very grainy dead Cat.

This was done as a Postmodern joke for DPReview's Leica forum.