The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4x5 Photography 101 - where to begin?

dave.gt

It was inevitable. And I can’t blame anyone, it was just meant to be… I am emerging somewhat from two years of devastating isolation. Spring is here and I am in bad need of change. I am not sure I can even be around hunan beings in close proximity without great anxiety. But it is time to move forward with a dream I have had for many years…

While I have spent a fair amount of time and energy with Medium Format and 135 film the past year, I realize it is now or never to learn about 4x5 with a traditional field camera. I need that creative stimulation and challenge. Time to learn new things.

If not now, when?:)

So, I have decided to initiate this new journey of discovery with a new thread for my own benefit and, hopefully, for anyone else who would like to learn more.

I may or may not be able to afford such an endeavor, but over time, it may work out. We shall see.

Where to begin?:unsure:

dave.gt

Toyo or Wista? Or… other traditional wood camera.

I probably should start there and become familiar with the particular gear I select, but is there a good introductory book or two out there?:)

anyone

A good read on the choice of 4x5" cameras and lenses:
Please note, from the list of cameras he mentions, I personally would stay away from Intrepid cameras.

My 4x5" journey started with a wooden Wista Field 45 (link) camera and I very much liked it. It's beautiful in its brass-wood-finish (opinions may vary on the choice of brass, but I like it), built solidly, uses Technika lens boards, and is very quick to set up. Downsides are that it is a little heavy for a wooden field camera and has only limited movements and bellows extension. I regret that I sold it, I should have kept it. Very recommended!

I sold it to move to the Chamonix C45F-2 which is more lightweight and offers more movements, but also takes more time to set up. Besides that, the Chamonix is a very nice choice. Plenty of movements, interchangeable bellows, possibility to use very wide lenses, well made, looks nice. A very sophisticated contemporary 4x5" camera.

Toyo is more known for sturdy metal field cameras that are well built. Last year I picked up a used Toyo 45A because it was so cheap I couldn't say no. Due to some health issues I did not have the chance to shoot in the field with the camera, but my first impression is that it is really well made and really heavy. Movements are limited (about the same / probably even a bit more limited compared to the Wista). It uses proprietary Toyo lens boards which is for me a major downside, since all my other cameras use Technika boards. So I purchased an adapter that works well, but you cannot close the camera anymore with the adapter attached, therefore it needs to be removed every time. I think I will also have a lot of fun in the future with this camera.

Concerning lenses, my most used lenses are 90mm as wideangle and 210mm. I shoot exclusively landscape. My choice is the Rodenstock 90mm 6.8 and Apo Sironar S 210mm 5.6, but I believe almost all options are good. I would just avoid the very large and heavy ones such as the Schneider 90mm 5.6 or Rodenstock 90mm 4.5. Their additional image circle cannot be used anyways on the models mentioned above, so you just lug around unnecessarily heavy gear.

Last edited:

dj may

I have several 4x5 cameras, monorail and field view cameras. My field camera is a Toyo 45A. This would be a good choice. There is one for sale in the Gear forum.

stephen.s1

There should be thousands of used 4x5 view cameras. I recall owning and using a Calumet, and another monorail which was built by the same company that made Speed Graphics. It's a great size and format.
Enjoy your venture.

f6cvalkyrie

I still own and occasionally use a SINAR P2/f hybrid camera ... I have bought an adapter for Nikon camera from China, and use my adapted to Nikon Olympus camera as a "digital back" ... not the easiest thing to set up, but it works ...

Go for it !!!

C U,
Rafael

MartinN

I did start with Graflex Crown Graphic. It was cheap a few years ago, and I succeeded to get a few Copal 0 lens boards as well. Back then there were dumping of 4x5 casettes, and lenses were also cheaper than today. But all in all the Crown Graphic is very light and can use even 65mm wideangle. Movements are not so good, but still taking pictures can be easier without fussing with extensive movements.

MartinN

A 4x5 camera with Graflok back enables you to use Horseman or similar 6x9 roll film back. That is really a step up from 6x6. I did buy a Sinar Zoom (think expensive) so that I can do 6x12 Panoramic. No need for a 6x17 or expensive color sheet film with those.

MartinN

Weight an bulk are in my opinions at least parameters to keep an eye on when choosing a field camera. With monorail cameras those parameters are laughable ....

MartinN

I probably should start there and become familiar with the particular gear I select, but is there a good introductory book or two out there?:)
Neither for me. I chose a Horseman 45HF. Lighter than Toyo and less bulky than Wista.

Last edited:

MartinN

I would just avoid the very large and heavy ones such as the Schneider 90mm 5.6 or Rodenstock 90mm 4.5. Their additional image circle cannot be used anyways on the models mentioned above, so you just lug around unnecessarily heavy gear.
Yes, Indeed. I would never go for 'fastest' large aperture lenses. However, there are 6x9 image circle lenses, and these should be avoided, but I have the 100mm Schneider Symmar-S f5.6 that should not cover 4x5, but I have used it without problems for 9cm x 12 cm european bw film without noticable problems.

Alkibiades

depents on your shooting preferances and the money that you can invest I would prefer Arca Swiss F as a light, compact and very well build camera for architecture and landscape. Similar would be the Linhof technikardan. Both system are perfect for traveling also.
If you want to shoot people also that Linhof technika will be the best option. Technika III and IV are cheap to get, technika V or master would be interesting if you want also use extem wide lenses.
After using a technika you will never want to use a wood kamera, wista or others...
Sinar cameras are great when you dont want to travel and you use a car for transport- thay are all too big and the P also too heavy-but in studio the nr 1.

med

I would also throw in a vote for Arca Swiss F, but I was lucky enough to get one for a song 8 or 9 years ago. I now have purchased enough other parts that I could build at least 2 different 4x5 cameras and 2 6x9 cameras without sharing much in between them. It is an incredibly well designed modular system, but can get pricey quickly. I love having a full range of movements available in the field and don’t think I could go back to a folding field camera; I started with a Linhof Technika III which was pretty good but the bellows were not 100% light tight so I jumped on the Arca when it came up.

MartinN

Studio and In Studio is really the place for monorails, despite of the letter F in the name. ;)
If you want to be mobile a real Field is the way to go. Otherwise your bag may have the size of a small fridge.

med

Studio and In Studio is really the place for monorails, despite of the letter F in the name. ;)
If you want to be mobile a real Field is the way to go. Otherwise your bag may have the size of a small fridge.
That's what I always thought, but my Arca F fits into the same backpack my Technika fit into (a Think Tank Streetwalker, with 3 lenses and 6 film holders) and is just as fast to set up on location. I've hiked, canoed, and trekked through the dessert with my Arca, and couldn't imagine giving up on the freedom of movements and rigidity that it gives me over fiddly folding cameras. YMMV of course!

For lens selection, start with your preferred "normal" and add from there... 135, 150, and 180 are all very versatile focal lengths and there are a ton of used options in this range.

rdeloe

I've used wood and metal field cameras, and a couple different monorail cameras.

My advice is to get something that's easy to adjust. If you're willing to schlep it around, a Toyo D45M (my last rail camera) is very simple and solid, and easy to adjust. This is important because almost guaranteed whatever used one you buy will be out of adjustment. My last metal field camera was a Wista 45VX. Adjusting that thing was quite tricky. I carried my D45M in a backpack in the field, so it's not just a studio camera.

Another book people will recommend sooner or later is Lesley Stroebel's book. I'd start with the two that were recommended already (Adams, Simmons). Stroebel is harder going. But if you really get deep into view cameras, it's excellent.

dave.gt

Wow… thank you all for the recommendations so far.

My good friend on the Northside of town has a wood field camera and has offered to do some casual shoots for my learning.

This will keep me busy a long time, with all the videos and books linked for me. This is great since I would have to sell my H5 system to even get started purchasing my own. .. Unfortunately I will need those funds for medical expenses.

Everything is complicated these days.

I have to admit I like the systems mentioned, all of them.:):):)

This will be a slow, deliberate journey. Really looking forward to learning every step of the way.