The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4x5 Photography 101 - where to begin?

MartinN

My reason of logic : if I have to pay 0.5 Euro for a frame, it better be 4x5 than 35mm.

Last edited:

KC_2020

FP4+ is competitive in US it seems, so that can be a good film, not so much for me, because a lot more expensive than Fomapan.
In the 40 years I've been shooting and processing my own B&W film, in all formats, I've found you get what you pay for. The Fomapan 4X5 film has a thinner base, is much easier to scratch, really only has good detail and range when rated at 50 and the reciprocity is a huge limitation. As a film to learn with while you're figuring out bellows factor, movements and all the rest of the fun that comes with shooting a 4X5 cameras, it will cost less to waste. Yes, you can get fine images with it but there are better options. IMHO.

MartinN

In the 40 years I've been shooting and processing my own B&W film, in all formats, I've found you get what you pay for. The Fomapan 4X5 film has a thinner base, is much easier to scratch, really only has good detail and range when rated at 50 and the reciprocity is a huge limitation. As a film to learn with while you're figuring out bellows factor, movements and all the rest of the fun that comes with shooting a 4X5 cameras, it will cost less to waste. Yes, you can get fine images with it but there are better options. IMHO.
I can not restrain myself enough when I'm out photographing, and a lot of mistakes happen. Therefore I need a cheap film.

MartinN

The reason I don't shoot so much 4x5 now, is my scanning facilities. I can get 5300ppi scans from 120 film, but only effectively about 2000 ppi from 4x5 with Epson V700. No intentions to drumscan, and I even don't know a single facilty nearby with a drumscanner. I would happily pay for a higher resolution Epson V900 in my dreams.

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

For years, I have been looking around for a scanning back of the make "BetterLight" ... they seem rare as hen's teeth, never seen one show up on any platform or forum ... I have even never seen a picture said to be shot with one ...

Anybody any clues ?

Stay safe,
Rafael

MartinN

For years, I have been looking around for a scanning back of the make "BetterLight" ... they seem rare as hen's teeth, never seen one show up on any platform or forum ... I have even never seen a picture said to be shot with one ...

Anybody any clues ?

Stay safe,
Rafael
Yes, a scanning back would be nice, but of course a new and modern designed scanning back would be better. I have seen a few Phase One scanning backs with SCSI and desktop Mac:s for sale, but that's no 'field day' solution.

MartinN

Who wants to design a sliding Graflok plate with stepper motors and logic for a modern digital back ?

For that solution even a MFT or APSC digital CMOS back would be enough. Gigapan ?

The sad thing is that the LF market is minimal and sigleshot always wins customers over multishot.

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Who wants to design a sliding Graflok plate with stepper motors and logic for a modern digital back ?

For that solution even a MFT or APSC digital CMOS back would be enough. Gigapan ?

The sad thing is that the LF market is minimal and sigleshot always wins customers over multishot.
That's more or less what I sometimes do manually

I bought a chinese plate to adapt a Nikon camera to my Sinar P2, something like this :

Screenshot 2022-09-05 141817.jpg

Then I added a second adapter Nikon to micro4/3 and so I can use my Olympus camera as a digital back for the Sinar ...

Then, I use the geared up/down and left/right knobs to walk my camera through the image ...

In the end, I throw the RAW files into Capture One for the stitching ...

Total spent : ca 400$

Stay safe,
Rafael

KC_2020

I can not restrain myself enough when I'm out photographing, and a lot of mistakes happen. Therefore I need a cheap film.
I understand. Shoot away, no better way to learn than shooting a lot of film.

This thread on setting up a copy stand is a must read, if you haven't already.

I shot with a Betterscan back in the day. I'm not sure I'd ever want to do that again. Long, long scans and plenty of software errors.

f6cvalkyrie

Slipping a filmholder and fiddling with a few lens controls is a bit easier ….
Certainly, but then I remain with a film image ... I am not equipped anymore to develop film, nor to make prints from 4x5 film and develop them ... service for such jobs is also extremely rare here in Europe (not sure I can find something) and will be very expensive ... and then I still have to digitize the image ... another costly and rare adventure in Europe ...

Stay safe,
Rafael

anyone

Certainly, but then I remain with a film image ... I am not equipped anymore to develop film, nor to make prints from 4x5 film and develop them ... service for such jobs is also extremely rare here in Europe (not sure I can find something) and will be very expensive ... and then I still have to digitize the image ... another costly and rare adventure in Europe ...

Stay safe,
Rafael
The equipment to develop film of course fits into a shoebox: Jobo drum, a self-build device for rolling the drum, changing bag, chemicals. Scanning can be done with the camera. That's my approach, except for the last part where I use an Imacon Flextight or my drumscanner.

MartinN

The equipment to develop film of course fits into a shoebox: Jobo drum, a self-build device for rolling the drum, changing bag, chemicals. Scanning can be done with the camera. That's my approach, except for the last part where I use an Imacon Flextight or my drumscanner.
There is one big problem with DIY color dev at home. The shelf life of chemicals. I don’t have enough turnaround. And my second problem, besides that color sheets are so expensive, and that is scanning. I’m waiting and waiting for a descent flatbed scanner for sheet film, better than my Epson V700. Drumscanning or SCSI computers are a bit out of my dreams.

anyone

I assumed B&W. Colour indeed brings its own challenges. I moved away from colour sheet film while ago and won’t return. If colour, it needs to be a roll film that can be readily developed in a lab. It’s not expensive in Germany fortunately.

Edit: in terms of scanning, I once had the Epson v750 and was fairly happy after I got the betterscanning filmholders and adjusted / shimmed the height. It was a huge difference so if you haven’t done it I definitely recommend to look into it. The drum scanner is better, but the device is fairly big and maintenance is really an issue.

Last edited:

MartinN

I have a good scanner for rollfilm and an excellent lab nearby, so that is no problem. Sheet film ’could’ need a better scanner, though.

anyone

I have a good scanner for rollfilm and an excellent lab nearby, so that is no problem. Sheet film ’could’ need a better scanner, though.
Have you shimmed your film holders? It really makes a big difference. Your Epson scanner is quite nice.

MartinN

Yes, I measured the point of focus on Epson V700. I put a few 5 cent coins on top of each other and had a slanted 3M magical opaque tape from the glass to the top of coins. By watching the exact point of focus on the slanted tape, I could calculate the optimum focus distance. My film holders are stock, but could be set in the ballpark. However, I have not solved entirely the problem of putting 9cmx12cm films in the stock 4x5 holder. Adding some cardboard slices is an attempt.

Wall-H

Fellow member here and my good friend, Gary (bensonga) sent me a nice video link on macro work with a LF camera. Of course, the guy in the video made it look easy!

In real life, many mistakes and creative profanity are common here. LOL
Is there any way i can get that video link ? I'm trying and searching something on similar lines.