The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4150 power on fail.need help.

ThdeDude

I would suggest to write to PhaseOne as soon as possible and ask whether they would still be willing any repair under warranty.
Meant contact (telephone) PhaseOne, Denmark, right away. You could ask whether they would be willing to cover at least a percentage.

Wished a dealer would have chipped in here.

Last edited:

JohnnyR

That's not my experience, much will depend on the dealer themselves.

I bought mine from a private seller in the US, when it had power issue, I contacted UK dealer Teamwork Photo, they asked me to send it in, and handled the rest of the repair directly with Phase One in Denmark. That is part of the daeler's obligation, to look after Phase users, regardless if they product is purchased via them or not.

I would contact Phase directly to have them confirm they will honour the repair under warranty first, then ask your local Phase dealer to handle the rest.
So far as i know, no dealers here is willing to explain my situation directly to phaseone hq. Today i got some new information that my expiration date is actually still in cover because the expiration date shown on phaseone website is calculated from the moment the back is shipped out from phaseone,it's definitely not the moment the back is sold to a customer. All the dealers so far i contacted are clearly aware of this but none of them would do me a favor without profit i guess. Tomorrow im going to make some calls to phaseone directly,including phaseone Hong Kong. I have strong feelings the dealer who offered me 15k usd 'upgrade' option is definitely planning to sold me a new back when he himself takes the old unit to phaseone for warranty coverd repair and later sell it as official refurbished one.

Last edited:

JohnnyR

I think this needs to be nuanced – if there is NO prior relationship with the dealer they might NOT CARE THAAAAT MUCH because you in the first step didn't care about them and their need to make a profit, right. In my experience though, if you conduced prior business – either 2nd hand purchases or primary market purchases – they will care. This investedness in your case can make the difference in edge cases, which is why reaching out to Phase One directly might be worthwhile.

So if you just bought everything second hand to forego dealer prices it may be a very different situation compared to being a good customer of a dealer. It is normal business.

Best is to find out the dealer who originally sold the back – which shouldn't be a problem to do except if it was a stolen back in which case you could go back to the person who sold you the back if its not a sale by a dealer.
Its not a stolen one, a dealer checked on their system and confirm that it's even not a smuggled one.Funny thing is that It's sold by the same dealer who offered me 15k usd 'upgrade' option while claming this serial number has nothing to do with them.

Last edited:

JohnnyR

Meant contact (telephone) PhaseOne, Denmark, right away. You could ask whether they would be willing to cover a percentage.

Wished a dealer would have chipped in here.
Im collecting evidence including the invoice of this back which 1st grade dealer issued to their dealers (2nd grade maybe).The date of that invoice should clearly prove this back is still warranty covered. Im also planning to make international calls to phaseone Denmark(anyone knows the number?) . Their after sales system in China is just messed up. They do not even complish a same warranty policy here.

B L

I think Phase One should be more eager to check this back out for through check up as to what caused the back to go to sleep. Which component failed in this super expensive single unit.
Other owners of this 150MP back should also be concerned. Just like motor mechanics we are at their mercy.It could be a £10 component but due to our (I should say my)lack of knowledge ,one can end up paying many many times more.

JohnnyR

I think Phase One should be more eager to check this back out for through check up as to what caused the back to go to sleep. Which component failed in this super expensive single unit.
Other owners of this 150MP back should also be concerned. Just like motor mechanics we are at their mercy.It could be a £10 component but due to our (I should say my)lack of knowledge ,one can end up paying many many times more.
One of the users in the domestic chatgroup said he had experienced the same situation, in his case the back went sleep because ' an electronic part loosed ' and was fixed soon.

Steve Hendrix

Just to be clear, since several times, someone has referenced "dealers here"; No one has approached me regarding this situation.

It is true, dealers are under no obligation to help anyone who has purchased their digital back elsewhere, whether it is from another dealer or from an end user.

It's a slippery slope - you're essentially supporting a business model that devalues what you as a dealer offer to your paying customers.

If a product is out of warranty, there may be some small amount of hardware repair margin in it for the dealer. If there are diagnostics involved, that can quickly turn into a loss for the dealer. If the product is under warranty, there is no profit at all for the dealer. For these situations, we may offer a service contract that provides full support from CI for a year, including the current issue one is experiencing. Especially with situations that require extensive diagnostic efforts (as opposed to I dropped it, it's broken, which is much easier to take on). Very few take advantage of this, and instead want the service for free.

We (CI) certainly vouch for our clients in any borderline support issue where the manufacturer is leaning towards non-support. Why wouldn't we? We have a track record with the client, they have spent money with us, which supports our business, and often have been involved in a relationship with us for years and years. It's not so easy to vouch and go to bat for someone who you don't even know, and has chosen not to invest in your business.

I would encourage contacting Phase One directly if the local dealer is unwilling to do so. It may be close enough to the warranty expiration that they would make an exception.

Steve Hendrix/CI

JohnnyR

Just to be clear, since several times, someone has referenced "dealers here"; No one has approached me regarding this situation.

It is true, dealers are under no obligation to help anyone who has purchased their digital back elsewhere, whether it is from another dealer or from an end user.

It's a slippery slope - you're essentially supporting a business model that devalues what you as a dealer offer to your paying customers.

If a product is out of warranty, there may be some small amount of hardware repair margin in it for the dealer. If there are diagnostics involved, that can quickly turn into a loss for the dealer. If the product is under warranty, there is no profit at all for the dealer. For these situations, we may offer a service contract that provides full support from CI for a year, including the current issue one is experiencing. Especially with situations that require extensive diagnostic efforts (as opposed to I dropped it, it's broken, which is much easier to take on). Very few take advantage of this, and instead want the service for free.

We (CI) certainly vouch for our clients in any borderline support issue where the manufacturer is leaning towards non-support. Why wouldn't we? We have a track record with the client, they have spent money with us, which supports our business, and often have been involved in a relationship with us for years and years. It's not so easy to vouch and go to bat for someone who you don't even know, and has chosen not to invest in your business.

I would encourage contacting Phase One directly if the local dealer is unwilling to do so. It may be close enough to the warranty expiration that they would make an exception.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Thanks Steve. When i say 'dealers here' i mean China, the place im currently living in, Im not implying anyone in this forum.As a new member, everyone is trying to help me,THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS! Actually i am considering paying extra money to exchange a new back from local dealer as well, maybe in the longrun,this benefits every aspect.

rdeloe

Thanks Steve. When i say 'dealers here' i mean China, the place im currently living in, Im not implying anyone in this forum.As a new member, everyone is trying to help me,THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS! Actually i am considering paying extra money to exchange a new back from local dealer as well, maybe in the longrun,this benefits every aspect.
That is how I understood what you said.

I hope you get this sorted out favourably. Good luck.

Steve Hendrix

I understand, also Dude alluded to a dealer "here" chipping in, and I just wanted to be clear about not being approached in view of "here" being mentioned multiple times. No big deal, just clarity housekeeping.

Steve Hendrix/CI

JohnnyR

UPDATE: PHASEONE official suggested sending the back for repair, the warranty is expired in their view of aspect. And 2 delaers in China who charges different areas (north and south) are acuusing each other, it seems the southern dealer cannot in anyway sold backs to clients who live in north....even it's a used one. Big mess...

JohnnyR

UPDATE: PHASEONE official suggested sending the back for repair, the warranty is expired in their view of aspect. And 2 delaers in China who charges different areas (north and south) are acuusing each other, it seems the southern dealer cannot in anyway sold backs to clients who live in north....even it's a used one. Big mess...
The phaseone manager told me if i were the first owner of this back then the dealer would of course take care of the warranty even expired 3days .

JohnnyR

I understand, also Dude alluded to a dealer "here" chipping in, and I just wanted to be clear about not being approached in view of "here" being mentioned multiple times. No big deal, just clarity housekeeping.

Steve Hendrix/CI
They offered a repairing service around 3.5k usd maximum since primary parts like cmos/filter/body are all good. I'm going to take it.

Phase V

Would be interesting to know if the IQ4 series per se had a higher failure then the
IQ3 because of the more complex design or what ever, but i guess neither the
dealers or P1 are keen to talk about it.

Paul Spinnler

Still, getting a used IQ4 and then having to pay 3.5k is not a bad deal if the item is still rare and 45k list.

Its a great sensor.

Phase V

Still, getting a used IQ4 and then having to pay 3.5k is not a bad deal if the item is still rare and 45k list.
Really, I'd be pretty pissed if I would be forced to pay annother 3.5k$
just some weeks after the original purchase because that damm thing is
dead now.