The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pixii Pics

scho

A few shots in Monochrome mode with the Pixii and 40/2 Minolta M-Rokkor + B+W 040 orange filter. Brief Spring episode with 70+ temp and bright blue skies (as I write this hours later it is already gone and we are back to cold wind/hail/snow/rain). Location was lower Treman state park on Enfield Creek that flows into Cayuga Lake. I went here specifically to watch spawning rainbow trout (5-10 lb class) running up Enfield Creek from the lake. This spot is usually a good place to see them jumping over the small falls in the run up to the impassible lower Enfield Falls less than 1/4 mile upstream from this location near the park entrance.
I saw three trout try to jump the little falls but Pixii was not the right tool to capture the action so no jumping trout pics.:mad: Should have taken the s1r and 24-105 lens.

pegelli

Nice series Carl, haven't seen much from the Pixii yet. How does this B&W mode work, does it work like most other cameras in B&W mode that you get a B&W jpg but still a full colour raw file? Or does it produce a B&W raw file as well (like a Leica monochrom).

What's your other impression of the Pixxii vs. for instance a Leica M, mainly with regard to handling, sturdyness and image quality? I must say that an APS-C M-mount camera sounds very interesting.

AlanS

Good points Pieter, would like to know myself.
I've also seen some examples of colour from this camera and it looks absolutely beautiful! What are your thoughts Carl?

scho

I like the Pixii for both color and monochrome work. A one click switch in the camera menu to change modes. Fast 64 bit processing. Excellent image quality. Negatives are no lcd screen on back of camera and images are stored on fixed memory in camera. USB C port on camera for image retrieval and battery charging. Should be able to use USB thumb drives for image transfer also but bug currently not fixed yet prevents use at moment. 26 MP APS-C sensor is excellent and bright viewfinder with very clear manually selected frame lines. No physical shutter, just electronic. Good integration with phone (iOS or android) app provides instant image review (in lieu of camera LCD), downloading of original DNG files, adjusting camera settings, and live view for tripod work (could mount phone in standard phone adapter in cold shoe on camera). Excellent email support from the team at Pixii, including the CEO and developer of the camera. They are under a lot of stress right now trying to fulfill orders took me three months to get my camera, but once it was made it shipped quickly in a couple of days by UPS express from France. Batteries are the same ones (NP-FW50) used in the early Sony 7 series so readily available but not long on power.

Last edited:

scho

A few more shots from the Pixii in Bayer mode. Used a 28/5.6 TTArtisan lens set at f/8 and ISO 400. We were walking along upper Fall Creek above the Cornell campus. This is the intake area for Cornell's water supply. The students in the civil engineering department just completed a new footbridge across Fall Creek to a woodland trail system.

scho

Comparison of Pixii Bayer mode with Monochrome mode (with and w/o filtration). OOF shots using LV on the iPhone. Hard to do w/o magnification aid and RF not very reliable in close. Lens was a Zeiss C-Sonnar 50/1.5.

Two more comparison shots, Bayer mode followed by Monochrome mode with orange filter.

scho

We have had 3 days of 90 degree temps and the maple trees popped out buds which are now flowering and leafing out. Next week they will have to deal with 30-40 degree weather again.

A Curacao tin lizzy (artist's version of a Bonaire blue whiptail lizard that is common on this island).

Pixii 7Artisans 28/1.4