The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pixii Pics

scho

A simple bokeh check with the Pixii and CV 50/2 APO-Lanthar. I also loaded up the internal memory of the camera (16 MP for mine but you can purchase up to 128 MP) to check how file offload options might work when traveling for extended time away from the computer. The best option by far (assuming you have an iPhone with you) is to transfer your raw files from the Pixii to your phone with a lightning to usb-c adapter (beware the Apple adapter does not work, and Pixii sent me an adapter made in Germany that does work). Once you move the files to your iphone in Photos they are available via iCloud in Photos on your computer at home when you return. No need for SD cards.

scho

Played around a bit today with the Pixii on a tripod doing countertop images using the live view capability of the Pixii with the iPhone. Worked quite well. I controlled the camera settings and composition using the live image on the phone and also used the phone to remotely release the shutter. Crude image of a yellow tulip in a black vase on some black fabric. Monochrome mode ISO 80, 2 sec exposure at f/5.6 with the CV 50/2 APO-Lanthar.

Godfrey

I would get this camera for Monochrom only. Does this make sense?
Sure. In my testing, the mono mode gave me the best photos I have out of the Pixii. It convinced me that I would really love an M10-M... and I do. :)

G

KC_2020

Sure. In my testing, the mono mode gave me the best photos I have out of the Pixii. It convinced me that I would really love an M10-M... and I do. :)

G
Now don't be a Leica snob. 😁

You could have kept the Pixie and nobody besides you would ever know the difference. Both are excellent at Monochrome and as Carl is demonstrating above, the Pixie with a little Voigtlander magic can be just as sharp, dynamic and lovely.

Godfrey

Huh? I've been on PIxii threads since March 2022.
Image quality was NOT why I returned the Pixii, which I thought was well documented in several threads and forums ... including this one.

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Do I understand that all light that hits the sensor goes through a CFA? If that's the case, then there is no difference between their monochrome output and anyone else's monochrome conversion using the RAW data, which is always supplied without demosaicing. They may have a better algorithm, but I don't see what it has to do with the sensor itself. It looks like it could be done externally with theirs, or any other camera's RAW files.

Confused,

Matt

KC_2020

Do I understand that all light that hits the sensor ...
It is in-camera monochrome processing.

"Since the influence of the Bayer filter is well defined, we can infer the quantity of light that hit a defined pixel. This allows us to recreate the response of the underlying monochrome sensor. The result is a true monochrome image with a single plane of raw values and up to 16 bits of resolution."

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It is in-camera monochrome processing.

"Since the influence of the Bayer filter is well defined, we can infer the quantity of light that hit a defined pixel. This allows us to recreate the response of the underlying monochrome sensor. The result is a true monochrome image with a single plane of raw values and up to 16 bits of resolution."
I read that sentence on their website. I'm afraid it says precisely nothing. Given knowledge of the CFA, anyone can do this calculation in the camera OR out of the camera. Here's a simplified method - take the RAW data and make a converted color image. That gives a color value and brightness at each pixel. (Call them c and b). Given the color of the CFA at that pixel, and the percent of the calculated color "c" it would allow through (call that "p"), we can literally divide b/p to get a monochrome brightness value at that pixel. Tadaah! Single plane of raw values.

Is that what they do? Is it something more sophisticated? The result is highly dependent on your demosaicing algorithm, but what else could they mean by "the influence of the Bayer filter"?

Of course, there is value to having this calculation done in-camera, saving the user from doing it in a separate step. But I wonder about trying this myself with RAW images from different cameras. Of course, getting my hands on the detailed spectral properties of the CFA may not be easy.... :unsure:

Last edited:

KC_2020

I read that sentence on their website. I'm afraid it says precisely nothing.
It says precisely what they want you to think. That they're doing something differently.

I don't know if it's common knowledge that the advantage of a dedicated monochrome sensor in a camera is the absence of the CFA. So it's at least good marketing.

algrove

Converting color to B&W on the computer at least let's one use the sliders to initially determine what colors you want to emphasize or not. If done in camera then the camera manufacturer decides the slider values for you. I'll stick with my FF Leica Monochrom.

scho

Back to fun with Pixii. A few walkabout shots with Pixii and a Leica Elmarit-M 24/2.8 in Stewart Park along the lake. All in Bayer mode to celebrate the colors of Spring on Earth Day.
The 24mm Elmarit gets me close to 35mm FF equivalent. Sharp lens, but not without some deficiencies on the Pixii. It does have some cyan vignetting so I created a flat field correction file that was applied to all of the images.

Last edited:

KC_2020

It's very difficult to say what a "big smiley face" is intended to mean when attached to a somewhat snarky comment. ;)

Carl, I like the photos you're posting. Please continue! :D

G
It wasn't intended to be snarky. If it came across that way then I apologize.

And yes, carry on with the images.