The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Fujinon GF Tilt Shift Lenses Are Finally Here!

BFD

When I look at pictures of the 110 TS, the shape of the sides look like they are purposely made to accept a collar. It wouldn't be like the one for the 30 TS that allow the lens to rotate, but the shape sure looks like it was designed to accept some sort of mount. Even though the location is not ideal since it's behind the tilt mechanism, being in front of the shift would make it great for stitching. Could be wishful thinking on my part…
I wonder why Fuji decided no collar for the 110. Definitely needed for accurate stitching.

vjbelle

The 30mm is sitting on shelves in Europe. Why the US is last on the delivery list is more than troubling.

Victor B.

vjbelle

You can go to the Fuji USA site and try to buy one. Of course this is the US site so switch to the European site and try to buy one. You will find a list of dealers that you can click on and you will find the 30mm IN STOCK ready to ship..... except not to the US.

Victor B.

Steve Hendrix

Dealers around the world have been shipped units for rental. Some of these dealers have broken their agreement with Fuji and are selling these rental units to end users. I noted that at least one of the stores I navigated to showed 1 in stock, and if I tried to buy 2 then they were backordered. I can't imagine any reason Fuji would be shipping a bunch of end user orders to Europe and not the USA. With that said, we have now been receiving end user orders as of several weeks ago.

Steve Hendrix/CI

diggles

I wonder why Fuji decided no collar for the 110. Definitely needed for accurate stitching.
I'm finding that stitching with the 110mm is working perfectly even without the collar. Maybe it's the longer focal length or subject matter that is further away that makes parallax less of an issue. Not sure, but no issues so far.

vjbelle

Steve..... don't agree with your reasoning. Numerous retailers in Europe have the 30mm IN STOCK. I can't imagine they are selling their demo/rental units. Do you have one in stock? Show me a US dealer that has one in stock ready to sell. Even though I have not investigated I am sure the 30mm is available in Japan and China.

Victor B.

Adammork

My local dealer here in Copenhagen supplied me a 30 and 110 at the end of last year, others have also received - they had a 30 and a 110 on the shelf this Friday - hard to believe that they all have been ment for rental?

Steve Hendrix

Adam and Victor -

I'm sure with at least some of these dealers that at least some of their available stock are rental units that were shifted to sale units. We've received multiple units for rental (which are still in rental) in advance of the for sale units, which only began arriving to us last week (the 110mm TS for sale lenses began arriving to us about a month ago).

Also - it is certainly possible that some of these dealers in Europe didn't have a ready buyer. In other words, there's no way they've received a truckload to take care of a bunch of orders and they have extras left over. Perhaps they received 1-2-3 and only had 2 pre-sold and so the other goes on their shelf. We were told by Fuji that we had one of the highest pre-sell purchase orders for this particular product anywhere in the world. It's tailor made for our client base. There's no way any of these dealers had anywhere near the number of orders we took, satisfied them all, and then still had inventory left over to just put on the shelf.

Outside of that, I really have no answers for this. There's no rational for Fuji shipping extra units to the rest of the world and holding back from the USA, so I have no clue.

Steve Hendrix/CI

vjbelle

Steve.... appreciate your candid response. Maybe for the European market there just isn't as much demand for these lenses. That's the only conclusion I can come up with as I do not doubt your last post.

Victor B.

marc aurel

Steve.... appreciate your candid response. Maybe for the European market there just isn't as much demand for these lenses. That's the only conclusion I can come up with as I do not doubt your last post.

Victor B.
I don't think so. I know a lot of collegues here in germany who have the 30mm TS lens. And they all got it in november, while I can't recall someone in the forums saying that they got one in november in the US at all. Strange.

Steve Hendrix

I don't think so. I know a lot of collegues here in germany who have the 30mm TS lens. And they all got it in november, while I can't recall someone in the forums saying that they got one in november in the US at all. Strange.

Well, I probably shouldn't be, because it will just keep me up at night, but Marc, I'm interested in how much is "a lot of colleagues"?

Steve Hendrix/CI

Adammork

Steve - do you want a list with names ;)

I know only a handfull personal, here from europe, that wanted the 30 ts and they all have it now - some have been on a waiting list, one just bought one without being on a list, delivery almost day to day...

From our side of the table it does not matter if those lenses was ment for rental or the like - they are on our camera, we are making images, we are happy!

I was also frustrated in November, when I was promised mine, to experience quit a few German photographers, that I don't know personal, not on my list... ;) That was flashing their new lenses on social media - I also gave my local dealer some heat ;) so, I feel for you and my fellow american colleges, the only comfort is, they are so worth the wait ;)

Your test, in this tread, was actually the final reason for me to change system to Fuji - thanks for all your effort in this forum!
/a

BFD

I'm finding that stitching with the 110mm is working perfectly even without the collar. Maybe it's the longer focal length or subject matter that is further away that makes parallax less of an issue. Not sure, but no issues so far.
I got a chance to play around with these lenses this weekend (thanks diggles for the 30!). I think the 110 does need a collar as a parallax is an issue albeit very slight (and most likely Photoshop could take care of) but not something I would risk on a commercial job so I made the below bracket for the 110.

Some other notes about these lenses that I noticed:
+ There is a lot of slop in the rotating mechanisms (two on each lens) even when the locks are engaged. This could lead to issues in alignment when stitching (my main use for this lens) and again Photoshop should be able to align them but with slight twist between frames you would be introducing image quality loss when Photoshop corrects. I looked at the lock mechanisms and I think I can revise them to eliminate that slop.
+ The tilt (which I probably won't ever use much) on the 110 binds up when just using the knob to tilt. I have to use the knob and guide the end of the lens with my other hand to avoid the binding (at least on my lens). Anyone else have this issue?
+ The 30 has a crazy weird front filter attachment system that basically stacks several pieces from Fuji on there so you end up with a 105mm front filter requirement. I don't plan on using it as I use 5.65x4" filters with a custom holder but it does mean I can't really leave a clear filter on there I like usually do with all my lenses.

Overall I like these lenses. It would be nice if they could round the collection out with a 50mm or something. I think I will be able to ditch all my Cambo and Rodenstock pretty soon.

IMG_6838.jpg

diggles

I got a chance to play around with these lenses this weekend (thanks diggles for the 30!). I think the 110 does need a collar as a parallax is an issue albeit very slight (and most likely Photoshop could take care of) but not something I would risk on a commercial job so I made the below bracket for the 110.

Some other notes about these lenses that I noticed:
+ There is a lot of slop in the rotating mechanisms (two on each lens) even when the locks are engaged. This could lead to issues in alignment when stitching (my main use for this lens) and again Photoshop should be able to align them but with slight twist between frames you would be introducing image quality loss when Photoshop corrects. I looked at the lock mechanisms and I think I can revise them to eliminate that slop.
+ The tilt (which I probably won't ever use much) on the 110 binds up when just using the knob to tilt. I have to use the knob and guide the end of the lens with my other hand to avoid the binding (at least on my lens). Anyone else have this issue?
+ The 30 has a crazy weird front filter attachment system that basically stacks several pieces from Fuji on there so you end up with a 105mm front filter requirement. I don't plan on using it as I use 5.65x4" filters with a custom holder but it does mean I can't really leave a clear filter on there I like usually do with all my lenses.

Overall I like these lenses. It would be nice if they could round the collection out with a 50mm or something. I think I will be able to ditch all my Cambo and Rodenstock pretty soon.

View attachment 211219
Hey Dan, if you are up for making more of those adapters for the 110 I'd love to get (buy) one from you!!

Since I never opened the box, I am relieved to find out there was a brand new untouched 30 TS in there. I sure hope the unboxing was satisfying!!

BFD

Hey Dan, if you are up for making more of those adapters for the 110 I'd love to get (buy) one from you!!

Since I never opened the box, I am relieved to find out there was a brand new untouched 30 TS in there. I sure hope the unboxing was satisfying!!
Let me field test this first. I have a shoot coming up in April.

P. Chong

I have a 30 T/S and 110 T/S with me now for some testing...here are some initial reactions:

1. build quality is very good. inspires confidence. On the sample I have, there is no slack on any of the movements, or on the 30's collar.
2. initial feel is that these are two very bulky and heavy lenses. With the collar on, the 30, which is the heavier of the two registers at more than 1.5kg on my gram scale.
3. but use in the field is quite nice. I could work very fast. Faster than with a large format camera, of course, but also a bit faster than with an Alpa STC.
4. I have not used the tilt yet, but noted that the tilt angle is not recorded on the EXIF. Shift information as well as rotation (I think it means the orientation of the lens to camera) is recorded. I am not sure what is the usefulness of the latter info.
5. After two quick architectural shoots on two buildings, I am liking the 30T/S.

The first pic I took is already on the More Fun with Medium Format Thread. And here is the other. Both images are crops from the GFX 100 II.

interlace-vertical-crop.jpg

Last edited:

P. Chong

Here is another shot with the GF 110 T/S. A small amount of tilt is applied to ensure the serial number, and the tilt markers are in focus all the way to the tip of the lens. Shot at f/5.6. And I used a Viltrox 18mm extension tube.

gf30ts.jpg

diggles

4. I have not used the tilt yet, but noted that the tilt angle is not recorded on the EXIF. Shift information as well as rotation (I think it means the orientation of the lens to camera) is recorded. I am not sure what is the usefulness of the latter info.
Capture One does have a field for tilt in the Lens Correction Movement panel. This makes me wonder if at some point there are plans for this information to be recorded into the meta data.

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 8.15.36 AM.png

P. Chong

I wonder why this data is not recorded.

Capture One does have a field for tilt in the Lens Correction Movement panel. This makes me wonder if at some point there are plans for this information to be recorded into the meta data.