The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic 7-14

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The son of a friend made his debut as a racing driver this weekend. Here's before his first start. He did great!

I think this photo is a great example of what can be done with the 7-14 and a camera with articulated LCD. Except for the toilet, and sometimes the bed, I don't go anywhere without the GH1 and 7-14. Never ever!

GH1 with Pana 7-14 @ 7mm and f/4.5

DHart

Nice, Jorgen! And I couldn't agree more... the articulating screen on the GH cameras is an extremely valuable feature that makes image creation in many situation so very much easier... and the 7-14 is a gem.

Matix

I just returned from a trip to the Grand Canyon. We stopped in Page, AZ on the first day long enough for a tour of Upper Antelope Canyon. My 7-14mm got it's first REAL workout on this trip, and performed beautifully in the slot canyon. My favorites, all 7-9mm:
Wow, they are beautiful shots.. well done.

Phil

Brian Mosley

The son of a friend made his debut as a racing driver this weekend. Here's before his first start. He did great!

I think this photo is a great example of what can be done with the 7-14 and a camera with articulated LCD. Except for the toilet, and sometimes the bed, I don't go anywhere without the GH1 and 7-14. Never ever!

GH1 with Pana 7-14 @ 7mm and f/4.5

Absolutely agree, this is a wonderful shot. Well done, and thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Brian

Hauxon

Do you people miss not being able to use filters? I know 7mm may often be too wide for polarizer but not when shot vertically. It should also be very usable on the longer end. And what about ND filters og ND grads? These filters are essential for shooting landscape. (but I guess an E-P1 with a Lee filter holder would look a little silly). :)

simonclivehughes

Do you people miss not being able to use filters? I know 7mm may often be too wide for polarizer but not when shot vertically. It should also be very usable on the longer end. And what about ND filters og ND grads? These filters are essential for shooting landscape. (but I guess an E-P1 with a Lee filter holder would look a little silly). :)
The biggest issue is not being able to use NDs for video capture to keep a wide aperture and a reasonable (1/60 or so) shutter speed.

Cheers,

Hauxon

The biggest issue is not being able to use NDs for video capture to keep a wide aperture and a reasonable (1/60 or so) shutter speed.

Cheers,
Ok, I'm mostly thinking of filter usage as a landscape lens. Last year I went on a 25km hike up a glacier (Eyjafjallajökull the volcano) with my 1DsII and lot of glass (total of 15 kg) and was VERY tired. After that hike I've been thinking of switching my gear to m43 and Mamiya 7. But I do need my filters if this is supposed to work. The 9-18mm M.Zuiko takes 52mm filters, but from what I've read the Panasonic lens is a better lens.

I remember someone doing some mixup to fit Lee holder to the 28mm Mamiya 645 lens. Anyone made any experiments?

Hrannar

simonclivehughes

Hrannar,

I originally bought the Olympus 9-18mm 4/3 (not m4/3) lens to use specifically because it had filter threads. But, the 7-14mm is simply in another class, and the additional 2mm makes a huge difference.

I remember seeing some made-up solutions for attaching filters to the 7-14, but the issue you'll have (unless you go to very large filter holders/filters) will be vignetting.

Although I don't have a solution for a polarizer, to compensate for NDs, I just expose for the sky and then pull out the shadow detail in post (or, bracket and then layer).

The lens is just stellar, and it is possible to get great results without filters (other than the video problem I discussed). Hope this helps.

Ciao,

Hauxon

Thanks SImon. I guess I could mix something to make my Lee filter holder fit the Panasonic 7-14. The Panasonic lens is more alluring (despite the higher price tag). :)

biglouis

Some recent fun with the 7-14 on my GH-2

Little Turnstile, Holborn, London

View from the top of a disused water tower towards north London, over Regent's Canal, Eurostar train leaving St Pancras on the left.

Distinctive entrance to Mary Ward House (Camden, London) in the 'Arts and Crafts' style.

DHart

Hey Louis... nice to see some new activity in this thread. And some wonderful images from you.

This reminds me... I recently used this lens to get an image that required the wide FOV. Not very arty, but I like it.

biglouis

Don, thanks for the kind comment. That car interior is a fantastic use of the lens. I almost feel as thought I am sitting in the driver seat!

Louis

Annna T

I can't say that I'm using this lens very often. It is a little too large for me and difficult to master. The Olympus 9-18mm would probably have been better for my needs, but it wasn't yet issued when I got the 7-14mm. Anyway, last month I got a great occasion to use it. It was the end of the afternoon and the weather was at the same time rainy and sunny, the ideal weather for rainbows. Since five years that I'm living here, I had never seen such a perfect one. It was a double rainbow in fact and there was like a globe of soft yellow light over the city; then the second ring disappeared and soon it was over. As always in these situations, the result isn't really up to what I saw, but here you go :
1) The double rainbow

2) After the sun disappeared :

biglouis

Anna

Stunning double rainbow shot. Like you, I do not use my 7-14 often but having bought it I forget about what it is worth and just enjoy using it when the occasion suits. The first is worthy of a magazine shot, imho.

Doug

Fantastic example of the use of the lens for landscape shots. Lovely.

LouisB