The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

panasonic firmware updates

Godfrey

Also, I didn't pick up on this improvement for the G2/G10 - so will they autofocus all 4/3 lenses now with the adapter?
Not all, but most. See this official support page for the G2/G10 models:
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g2_g10.html

Sadly, one of the last FourThirds lenses I'd someday like to acquire (the ZD 150mm f/2) is not on that list, and none of the teleconverters or extension tubes are either. But everything else I have for my SLRs is.

simonclivehughes

You do not know whether the switches are linked to their functions in a way that can allow this different behavior, and cannot unless you dismantle the camera, instrument the switches and logic, and run a pile of tests to understand how the switch is wired and how the logic works. Everything else you're saying is conjecture and an expression of your frustrated desire.
Just as you do not know if it cannot be done as I suggest. My frustrated desire is rather a disappointment that the same manufacturer doesn't implement the same feature on similar series cameras.

Let's call it a draw, shall we? :thumbs:

BTW, you don't need to sell me on the merits of Panasonic, I've owned many over the years and adopted each of the G-series as soon as they were available.

Ciao,

Last edited:

Godfrey

Just as you do not know if it cannot be done as I suggest. My frustrated desire is rather a disappointment that the same manufacturer doesn't implement the same feature on similar series cameras.

Let's call it a draw, shall we?
I've said all along that I don't know whether it is possible. Nothing new about that. I simply don't see the point of complaining about things. I'd rather honor what they did than declaim about what they didn't. I think that's fairer to their work.

I don't know what you want to call a draw. I'm not trying to sell you anything, nor is this a debate.

Assumptions about the capabilities of the hardware on "similar series cameras" is where things usually go wrong. Just because the cameras are a 'similar series' doesn't mean they share all the same bits and have the same wiring or capabilities. They were designed in series: #2 taking some advantage from what was learning in creating #1, #3 taking some more advantage by what was learned in making #2, etc. #3 should naturally have more capabilities in some dimension than #2.

But if you want a draw: if you stop complaining, I'll stop complaining about your complaining. ;-) That's a thumb-up to me.

Jonas

(...) extra light when shooting against a bright background (I have forgotten the English word for this).

I'll do some experimenting.
I updated a G1 to v1.5. Batteries from SIDO and MaximalPower (a misleading name) still work. The in-built flash now works as one would expect it to do (from a few initial exposures) together with adapted lenses. The camera also seem to handle the flash fine when used as fill flash.

This is from 10 minutes of playing.

/Jonas

bensonga

Godfrey,

I'm thankful they continue updating the firmware too.....but I still wish the G1/GH1 had the one click MF assist. I've tried the thumb roll over two buttons and thus far, it's just not coming "naturally" for me. Certainly not as natural and quick as a one click move would be.

I suspect that if it was possible, Panasonic would have done it by now, so I'm not holding out much hope that it will ever happen, which is too bad. Maybe someday, when I least expect it, this wish will come true. :)

Gary

monza

One click sure would be nice, but I'm used to two. :)

I tried the GH1 flash, it's actually usable with adapted lenses now. Excellent work by Panny. Thanks Godfrey for posting your flash tests.

P

phototransformations

I'm grateful Panasonic fixed the flash problem, and my two non-Panasonic batteries (one from BestBatt and one from an eBay seller some months ago) still work fine. (Though I have noticed, even before the 1.5 update, that they don't give as much warning they are out of charge as my Panasonic batteries -- the battery indicator goes from "fully charged" to "no power" very quickly.)

I, too, wish they would implement the one-click feature. However, they say that they won't. I wrote to them a couple of months ago, after the GF1 one-click firmware feature came out, and asked if they had similar plans for the G1 and GH1, and the tech who responded said they did not. As they have now come out with a G1 firmware update that doesn't implement the one-click feature, it appears that they have a technical or marketing reason for leaving manual focus assist as it is, and I'm focusing (pun intended) on getting used to the thumbroll technique.

As for complaining, I think this is a cultural or family value. Some cultures and families value complaining and do it all the time, to each other and to others. Some look at complaining as pointless or negative and don't do it and don't like it when others complain. That's why they make different flavors of ice cream.

Just my two cents -
David