Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Panny pancake 14/2.5 review

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Panny pancake 14/2.5 review

I thought I read that Panasonic was going back over their lens lineup to add more primes. Now when we get good ones like the 45 macro people again scream about price.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Now when we get good ones like the 45 macro people again scream about price.

There is nothing I have seen that compelled me to consider buying one. Besides, but for the Leica label, they would not even have considered such a price tag.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    There is nothing I have seen that compelled me to consider buying one. Besides, but for the Leica label, they would not even have considered such a price tag.
    We have different taste in lenses (which is fine). I thought it rendered beautifully.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, For a fly-by-wire focus lens with a 45mm FL, it was alright.

That FL region is easy covered by literally thousands of old manual focus lenses some of which will have most aspects of that Pana lens.

It is a tough sell for Pana.

FWIW, The pen F 38/3.5 Macro always gave not very pleasant bokeh on film (high contrast lens). On G1s (with so much glass over the sensor- the effect of which was discussed somewhere in this forum.), the bokeh became very creamy. That convinced me that it is far too easy get smooth OOF backgrounds with the m4/3rds with any lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Realize this is OT, but I think it warrants discussion: I respectfully disagree with you Vivek; I am in Terry's camp on the 45 macro.

While there are certainly a lot of prime options in the 40 to 50mm range, they are all manual focus. Right there is a limitation. Fine if *YOU* can live with it, but not everybody can. I can, but I prefer not to if I don't have to

Would I prefer a faster, non-macro AF lens? Yes I would. A 40mm f1.4 would be very sweet. Would I use a manual focus 40mm f1.4 over an AF f2.8 just to gain the 2 stops? Nope.

So, different strokes -- and 'aint it grand!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack, Actually I did not disagree with Terry.

Yes, my personal preferences for a macro lens are different and the fact is that I am one of the few lucky ones who has at his disposal, literally over a hundred macro lenses, including some of the very best optics ever made. In addition, I have focus helicoids and such doodahs to go with those lenses.

So, a macro lens in 45/2.8 was out of the question for me. Those who do own that might use it for portraits and such but there again, much faster (tiny in size and weight) manual primes come in handy for me.

Wide primes are a difficult area to tackle, especially for a tiny format.

I would welcome any high quality (fast as well) normal, portrait (yes 40-45mm f/1.4 would be great), etc primes, preferrably compact and definitely unlike the 4/3rds PanaLeica 25/1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay got it -- we are in the same camp
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Realistically, is there any chance of that? I do not think so, not from Pana or Oly. It took nearly 2 years for Pana to come up with the $400 wonder.
    well ... we all know how hard it is to develop a lens these days:
    * occupational health and safety
    * environmental vision statement
    * marketing plan
    * risk assessment

;-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, some of us are addressing the environment question in a very positive way by using discarded lenses (particularly the machine vision variety) and sticking to the old and still functional G1.

Some of us are also belligerent to the marketing onslaught from "review" outfits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
    You know, they didn't use the same film/sensor for those tests.

(EDIT: Nugat posted while I typed my little reply, sorry for repeating)
    Yeah I got all that and it was understood from the beginning, despite this these are impressive scores (for the centre at least)

and as Vivek sorta implies, what happens when they get hold of an E5, or 'like' technology makes its way to mFT (assuming it hasnt already), b/se it seems from the outside that the sensors arent all that different within the same generation or timespan

be worth Oly's while to provide Lenstip with a box of goodies with retesting lenses in mind. The differences might make interesting reading

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I read that Panasonic was going back over their lens lineup to add more primes. Now when we get good ones like the 45 macro people again scream about price.
    We have different taste in lenses (which is fine). I thought it rendered beautifully.
    The 45/2.8 is only one of three lenses I own I'm would be loathe to part with (the other two are my summilux 35/1.4 asph and my elmar 50/2.8). It is a great lens - on my GF-1.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, some of us are addressing the environment question in a very positive way by using discarded lenses (particularly the machine vision variety) and sticking to the old and still functional G1.
    sure ... me too :-)

FD300 mounted on my now scruff looking G1 did me well again last weekend

a short story on this bird here, but you can just see his brother behind and to the right

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    The 45/2.8 is only one of three lenses I own I'm would be loathe to part with (the other two are my summilux 35/1.4 asph and my elmar 50/2.8). It is a great lens - on my GF-1.
    There are a few things missing for me when it comes to the 45/2.8:

1. PanaOly ought to bring out a "micro" version of the Nikon R1C1 type flash (size should be like the peanut flash of the Sony NEX) weighing no more than 30gms each including a battery.

2. Manual control.

FWIW, I contacted Adrian Lolli to enquire if his tilt adapter could be further shrunk to allow more lenses (pen F, for example) to be used with the m4/3rds
    (if that does not pan out, I will eventually make one myself).

If 8 deg tilt is enough for a full frame, why would one need 30 deg tilt (the current Lolli Tilt adapter) for the micro 4/3rds? 2 deg should be plenty.

Interestingly, my experiments with a Summicron (R) 50/2 on APS-C for movements (despite it being a high resolution lens and all) showed it to be a disaster. Off axis aberrations from that lens are amazingly worrisome.