Site Sponsors

Thread: GH2 versus D7000 (ca and RAW question)

Post Thanks / Like

GH2 versus D7000 (ca and RAW question)

I did this informal test with a friend's camera. Hence it was set on the 4:3 mode. What I did notice was that there is no CA in the shots taken with the 20mm f1.7 lens versus the Nikon 35mm f1.8G lens. Both were set at f7.1. I'm wondering if the GH2 removes chromatic aberration in RAW mode like it does in JPEG mode?

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/pana...us_nikon_d7000

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GH2 versus D7000 (ca and RAW question)

Yes, sort of. What it does is pass along the CA correction information in the meta-data to the RAW converter. If the RAW converter is properly aware of this then it will do the CA correction. Same thing happens with the distortion correction. Worth noting that the Olympus cameras and lenses do not do CA correction in JPEG or RAW, only Panasonic.

I do know for certain that LR and ACR properly apply the CA corrections. Not sure about other converters, but I thought most of the "commercial" ones do.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

> do know for certain that LR and ACR properly apply the CA corrections.

Yes.

>but I thought most of the "commercial" ones do.

Maybe Capture One does it too, not sure though.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kwalsh View Post
    Yes, sort of. What it does is pass along the CA correction information in the meta-data to the RAW converter. If the RAW converter is properly aware of this then it will do the CA correction. Same thing happens with the distortion correction. Worth noting that the Olympus cameras and lenses do not do CA correction in JPEG or RAW, only Panasonic.

I do know for certain that LR and ACR properly apply the CA corrections. Not sure about other converters, but I thought most of the "commercial" ones do.

Ken
    I didn't want to do anything to the files other than represent what came out of the RAW converter so I converted them using PS's DNG converter, then applied 60% sharpness to each in PS and turned off the default chroma noise reduction.
    But I figured the Panasonic would apply some kind of CA correction, even to the RAW image so maybe using PS's reduction on the Nikon images wouldn't be "cheating?"

Post Thanks / Like

>But I figured the Panasonic would apply some kind of CA correction, even to the RAW image so maybe using PS's reduction on the Nikon images wouldn't be "cheating?"

I don't feel it like cheating if you are interested int best you can get out of your camera/lens combination.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    But I figured the Panasonic would apply some kind of CA correction, even to the RAW image so maybe using PS's reduction on the Nikon images wouldn't be "cheating?"
    So if you are looking for an "apples to apples" comparison it might be appropriate to apply CA correction to the Nikon as well. It is happening automatically with the Panasonic + PS conversion.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

If you're using Apple's OS X then everything that uses Apple's RAW support (and that's a buttload!) will apply it too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    I didn't want to do anything to the files other than represent what came out of the RAW converter so I converted them using PS's DNG converter, then applied 60% sharpness to each in PS and turned off the default chroma noise reduction.
    The lens correction metadata embedded in the Micro-FourThirds raw files is properly translated into DNG files when DNG Converter does its translation, and is automatically integrated into the raw conversion processing by Camera Raw or Lightroom. This was one of the key factors in the update of Adobe's Digital Negative Specification from v1.2 to v1.3.

Remember that in the case of Micro-FourThirds cameras, the lens correction metadata is considered by the manufacturer as a part of the lens' optical design for performance ... it's not an add-on facility to correct optical design deficiencies after the fact. Correct raw conversion of Micro-FourThirds exposures should *always* apply the lens correction parameters built into the files.