The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Olympus 75-300 f4.8-6.7

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Pretty sure I wil go for this lens as compared to the Pana 100-300. Main reasons:

1) better optics
2) better lens coating
3) fast AF
4) I need something below 100mm in such a lens
5) smaller and lighter than the Pana
6) I have the OMD, so why bother with OIS from the Pana?

Already the previous version of this lens was a great performer!

Oh man, Ive got a Vivitar f4-5.6 75-300mm lens (for 35mm format) that's well over 15 years old. You'd think that with today's technology they could make a consumer 75-300mm zoom for M4/3 with at least the same maximum aperture. Is that honestly too hard and too expensive in this day and age??

Heck, Ive got a Canon Super 8 movie film camera from the early 70s which has a 10x zoom (7-70mm) with a maximum aperture of f1.4.

dhsimmonds

Just a few good words for the Pana 100-300: :thumbs:

* Superb optics
* Faster lens
* Faster focusing
* Good contrast
* Choice of IBIS or lens IS when used on the OM-D
* Comes with lens hood and it's own lens pouch

I also usually find that a lower zoom ratio invariably returns better IQ so a X3 zoom range is usually (not always) better than say a X7 zoom range in terms of IQ , although a higher zoom range is more practical in use.

As always, it comes down to what the lens is to be used for. I need a long lens for natural history work and the 100-300 does this admirably and another OM-D body with a wider zoom is always at the my side for when the critters unexpectedly come rapidly and scarily sometimes, much closer! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
what was wrong with the previous oly 75-300? pretty happy with mine

and this at 300: