Re: GX80 files are looking good

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GX80

GX80 + Fujian 35mm/1.7 + Fujian 50mm/1.4... 20/30

Post Thanks / Like

Gx80

Last edited by hot; 13th July 2016 at 12:16.

Post Thanks / Like

GX80 12-32mm

Rain, rain, rain ...

Post Thanks / Like

Gx80

GX80 + Tokina 80-400

photos with 400mm

Post Thanks / Like

Gx80

GX80 + Tokina 80-400

Post Thanks / Like

Gx80

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gx80

Like the texture in the last shot, though a bit "stock photo" (nothing wrong if that's the intent). It must be nice to be shooting with a Panny/Leica contrasty lens and the no AA of this camera.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Poppy seed - GX80 + bellow + Samyang 85mm/1.4

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raist3d View Post

A lot is said around about Olympus not using an AA filter in several of their cameras (OMD EM1, EM5MKII, PenF) but quite frankly I have yet to see that aspect of lacking an AA filter that shines in those files. Definitively the EM5 MKII does seem to have one.
    Anyhow, these are all great cameras, I just prefer no AA where possible, glad to see Panasonic stepped on that plate.
    I've been working with FourThirds cameras since 2007: E-1, L1, G1, GF1, E-5, E-M1, E-PL1, and E-PL7.

Of these, the ones that show obvious characteristics of 'no AA filter' are the E-5, E-M1, and E-PL7. I don't need a specification to see it, I just need to look at my photos in raw format. For all three of these, the propensity to exhibit moire patterns on patterned textiles and other grid-lined subject matter is quite apparent. They're also the cameras that Lightroom's default raw sharpening strength presents itself as too strong and causes pseudo noise, even in low ISO shots of blue skies. Their output looks the most like what I see out of the Leica M9, M-P typ 240, and Ricoh GXR-M. For all of these cameras, I've created Lightroom processing defaults with the sharpening parameter set to between 0 and 8 rather than 25 in order to obtain the best image quality, in contrast to the E-1 and*some other cameras where I've set the default sharpening up between 30 and 50 to accommodate their heavy AA filtering.

I've not owned or used an E-M5 or E-M5 II, or other mFT cameras, to analyze their differences from the E-M1, E-5, etc.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Gx80

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to mention I had a chance recently to use one, and man, it is a fantastic camera. Even more so at the price.

I was very torn. I almost got one, but the size is still important to me. I wish Panasonic would continue the GM line but apparently that's not going to happen. i was surprised the JPEG engine improved in color at night. Also you get a tiny bit of extra crisp due to the no AA.

Oh and the camera responds *hyper fast*.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to mention I had a chance recently to use one, and man, it is a fantastic camera. Even more so at the price.
    - Ricardo
    I wish you much fun! My "best cameras" are GX80 and NX500 ... daily in use, more used than GH4

Some autumn pictures .. all with GX80

... and some pictures, only with light bulbs

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Panasonic in the UK are offering 'double' cashback on the GX80 pushing it to an all-time low price, so I caved and got mine today. First impressions are very positive. Solid body, in fact a tad heavy for its size, good controls, familiar menus, autofocus is fast and the shutter sounds very damped.

Some test shots - not enough time to really check it out as I received it late in the day.

First two are with the Leica DG 25/1.4 - both wide open at f1.4, iso200.

This last shot is a crop from a frame taken with the Leica DG 100-400

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Note to self:
    Don't be fooled by this GAS-ridden bunch and their great photos. You have the GM5 and the GX8 already, and that's enough, do you hear?

Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

Using the pano mode on the GX-80 and the Panasonic 30mm F/2.8 macro lens

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28122016-P1030591.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	367.7 KB 
ID:	123517

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Panasonic in the UK are offering 'double' cashback on the GX80 pushing it to an all-time low price, so I caved and got mine today. First impressions are very positive. Solid body, in fact a tad heavy for its size, good controls, familiar menus, autofocus is fast and the shutter sounds very damped.
    I stupidly looked to see how much this equated to = 247.00 ........... that's very good!

Subtract 41.17 VAT @ 20% = 205.83 ..................... that's very very very good!!

Less another 41.17 (20% UK income tax basic rate for business use) = 164.66 .... that's

just about the cost of two tanks of fuel for my car in the UK !!!
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elderly View Post
    I stupidly looked to see how much this equated to = 247.00 ........... that's very good!

Subtract 41.17 VAT @ 20% = 205.83 ..................... that's very very very good!!

Less another 41.17 (20% UK income tax basic rate for business use) = 164.66 .... that's

just about the cost of two tanks of fuel for my car in the UK !!!
    Just be aware that you have to shell out the full price of the camera, 447 first, and wait 28 days before submitting the request for the 200 refund.

That said, I did this last year for a refund on a GX8/12-35 bundle and Panasonic in the UK are very organised about it.

But, yes, from a business perspective the price is a no brainer, imho. And of course the tax man is probably not going to be aware of the cash back...

LouisB
    -----

Post Thanks / Like

But, yes, from a business perspective the price is a no brainer, imho. And of course the *** man is probably not going to be aware of the cash back...

LouisB
    That makes it about 98

*** I wonder how many 'net forums they scour?
    Ian.

Post Thanks / Like

First walk about with the GX80 and a first generation Lumix 20/1.7.

As a Leica Q owner, to make a comparison, I can't work out if Panasonic has benefited from their association with Leica, or the other way around. This camera has the feel of Leica quality about it. It also reminds me of a GF-1 but on steroids.

I know that new kit always gets the endorphins flowing but I can't recall the last time I picked up a camera and instantly liked how it worked and how it felt. The colouration of the RAW files is just perfect - again I can't help seeing the Leica influence here - with a lot of 'pop' and I think I can actually detect more sharpness at the pixel level sans the AA filter. I hope the GX9, if and when it appears, does away with the AA filter as well. I know it states that the GX80 is not weather sealed but I honestly can't see the difference in build quality between it and my GX8. Not that I am about to test it out.

Unfortunately today was a grey, mist filled day but I still think I got some great shots out of the GX80. Mind you, the Lumix 20/1.7 is as close as you can get to a Leica 35 or 50 Summicron without being sued for out and out copying. If you don't own one of these ridiculously cheap lenses (especially second hand) you are missing out on fantastic quality. These captures are RAW, with only cropping in LR.

-----
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

First walk about with the GX80 and a first generation Lumix 20/1.7.

As a Leica Q owner, to make a comparison, I can't work out if Panasonic has benefited from their association with Leica, or the other way around. This camera has the feel of Leica quality about it. It also reminds me of a GF-1 but on steroids.

I know that new kit always gets the endorphins flowing but I can't recall the last time I picked up a camera and instantly liked how it worked and how it felt. The colouration of the RAW files is just perfect - again I can't help seeing the Leica influence here - with a lot of 'pop' and I think I can actually detect more sharpness at the pixel level sans the AA filter. I hope the GX9, if and when it appears, does away with the AA filter as well. I know it states that the GX80 is not weather sealed but I honestly can't see the difference in build quality between it and my GX8. Not that I am about to test it out.

Unfortunately today was a grey, mist filled day but I still think I got some great shots out of the GX80. Mind you, the Lumix 20/1.7 is as close as you can get to a Leica 35 or 50 Summicron without being sued for out and out copying. If you don't own one of these ridiculously cheap lenses (especially second hand) you are missing out on fantastic quality. These captures are RAW, with only cropping in LR.

May I say that I had exactly the same feeling about the gx80: I have back my GF1 "but on steroids".

The stabilizer is just great, same for the sensor (oh there is a 20mpixels, but who cares ...)
    At the moment I am using it with my adorable 20mm 1.7 and the 30mm macro lens and the little gem which is the 60mm sigma (another impressing lens for the money).
    I bought it for 520 euros and I find it quite cheap for what the camera is giving back to me.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Note to self:
    Don't be fooled by this GAS-ridden bunch and their great photos. You have the GM5 and the GX8 already, and that's enough, do you hear?

>>> I know that new kit always gets the endorphins flowing
    >>> but I can't recall the last time
    >>> I picked up a camera and instantly liked how it worked and how it felt.

Jorgen, do not (even) touch this camera; you feel your hand reaching ..., but resist, at all costs (do not hear that actual costs can be sooo low!) !!!
    Say "The GH5 is coming" !
    (Since, apparently "It's not at least 20mpx" and "it's only m4/3" aren't working.)

Post Thanks / Like

with the panasonic 30mm F/2.8

Name:	10122016-P1020290.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	643.0 KB 
ID:	123528
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	21112016-P1010314.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	462.4 KB 
ID:	123534

30mm F/3.8 macro Panasonic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by drofnad View Post
    >>> I know that new kit always gets the endorphins flowing
    >>> but I can't recall the last time
    >>> I picked up a camera and instantly liked how it worked and how it felt.

Jorgen, do not (even) touch this camera; you feel your hand reaching ..., but resist, at all costs (do not hear that actual costs can be sooo low!) !!!
    Say "The GH5 is coming" !
    (Since, apparently "It's not at least 20mpx" and "it's only m4/3" aren't working.)

Only 5 days to the GH5 announcement. That will be the overkill I probably can't resist.

Post Thanks / Like

2016-12-31

Post Thanks / Like

Should the G80/85 files look about the same as the GX80/85 files?

The EVF on the GX85 was just not comfortable for me, both in terms of the image size (wearing glasses) and location (as a predominantly left-eye shooter), so I am inclined to go with the larger and slightly heavier G85.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    Should the G80/85 files look about the same as the GX80/85 files?

The EVF on the GX85 was just not comfortable for me, both in terms of the image size (wearing glasses) and location (as a predominantly left-eye shooter), so I am inclined to go with the larger and slightly heavier G85.
    If I should guess, they use the same sensor, but the viewfinder of the G80/85 is much better.

Post Thanks / Like

Only 5 days to the GH5 announcement. That will be the overkill I probably can't resist.
    That is fine if you are a videographer but what I would like is an updated GX8 with a 20mpx sensor without the AA filter and the newer shutter-shock-less shutter and IBIS. I only hope Panasonic don't think they are done for the year after January.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is fine if you are a videographer but what I would like is an updated GX8 with a 20mpx sensor without the AA filter and the newer shutter-shock-less shutter and IBIS. I only hope Panasonic don't think they are done for the year after January.

LouisB
    Although I do shoot some video, the important thing with the GH5 for me, based on experience with the GH3, is that it's a totally rock solid camera in every possible way. It's like a half price, half weight D5 that can also shoot broadcast quality video. The E-M1, a good camera too, never gave me that feeling performance, sturdiness and great ergonomics that the GH3 did and that I know that the GH5 will.

When that is said, I won't mind a GX9, but having just purchased the GX8, I still enjoy that camera a lot. I'll probably wait for the GH5 until I can buy one second hand anyway. At the moment, my priority is lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

My favourite cameras are GX85 and NX500 and TZ81 (with 30x zoom) - I also have GH4 (no desire for GH5) and others ... all with 4K

GX85 is an excellent camera, EFV, moveable display, 4K (with 25 or 30 fps - like GH4), but best is: it is small, it is tiny!

I do not like big cameras, heavy equipment .. so I have NO G80/85!

Post Thanks / Like

If I should guess, they use the same sensor, but the viewfinder of the G80/85 is much better.
    The better viewfinder is exactly what is needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    My favourite cameras are GX85 and NX500 and TZ81 (with 30x zoom) - I also have GH4 (no desire for GH5) and others ... all with 4K

GX85 is an excellent camera, EFV, moveable display, 4K (with 25 or 30 fps - like GH4), but best is: it is small, it is tiny!

I do not like big cameras, heavy equipment .. so I have NO G80/85!
    I follow your reasoning, but with the selection of high quality compact mirrorless cameras available now, there's really only a tiny bit of market space left for each model. In the compact range, Panasonic alone offers the GM5, GX85 and GX8, adding the GF9 in a few days. In addition, there are compact models from Olympus (Pen F, E-PL8 and E-M10) plus Fuji, Sony, Canon, Nikon and others too. Most of these cameras are very good, and I'm impressed by Panasonic's ability to churn out one quality model after the other. Although they were the first to present a mirrorless camera, they are not in any way the market leader, and their efforts must take a lot of resources.

For me, having the GM5 and the GX8 already, buying a GX85 would be complete nonsense, particularly since it uses a different battery from either of the two I have. It's clearly good, compact, reasonably priced and all that, but I paid less than the price for a new GX85 when I bought my mint GX8 and only half that for a new GM5. That's scary.

I consider the G85, since it offers most of what I need from the GH5 at half the price or less, and it uses the same battery as the GX8, which is great when travelling.

The conclusion from me is that while the GX80/85 is a fine camera, maybe a classic even, it will probably be discontinued or replaced within a year. That's kind of scary for a person who lived with an OM-1 as his main camera for thirty years

Post Thanks / Like

2017-01-01 - GX80

Post Thanks / Like

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I follow your reasoning, but with the selection of high quality compact mirrorless cameras available now, there's really only a tiny bit of market space left for each model.
    I'm just puzzled that Nikon has not joined the fray. A mirrorless Nikon body that also accepted the existing Nikkor range would be... awesome... it might even kill off both Panasonic and Olympus.

As it stands, unless Nikon do move in that direction, apart from high end pro bodies, I don't see much of a future for them or Canon (who have at least started to test the water in mirrorless).

I for one will never buy another camera with that strange analogue, optical viewfinder. Unless I can afford to go back to Hasselblad MF film...

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm just puzzled that Nikon has not joined the fray. A mirrorless Nikon body that also accepted the existing Nikkor range would be... awesome... it might even kill off both Panasonic and Olympus.

As it stands, unless Nikon do move in that direction, apart from high end pro bodies, I don't see much of a future for them or Canon (who have at least started to test the water in mirrorless).

I for one will never buy another camera with that strange analogue, optical viewfinder. Unless I can afford to go back to Hasselblad MF film...

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    The worldwide DSLR market is still more than twice as big as the mirrorless market, and while the mirrorless market is divided between several manufacturers, the DSLR market is dominated by two players only, Canon and Nikon.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201611_e.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

UHD, 60fps, 30MBs with GX80, temp = -14

https://vimeo.com/198409897

Post Thanks / Like

It is a frickin' awesome little camera. With the Lumix 12-35/2.8 - Princelet Street, Spitalfields, London.

-----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hot, Louis, thanks. I think i will pick one up soon.

Post Thanks / Like

autostitched from 3 pictures

Samyang 7.5mm

two new lenses for mFT, but also for Sony, Fuji, ...

Last edited by hot; 12th January 2017 at 01:40.

Post Thanks / Like

GX80 + 12-32mm - light only one bulb 12W, distance 1.20m

pomegranate, 0.79 :-)

additional 10mm automatic ring

Last edited by hot; 12th January 2017 at 07:27.

Post Thanks / Like

]

ATTENTION - if IQ < 10 ! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

GX80 + 12-32mm ... all photos ooc, resized

Last edited by hot; 14th January 2017 at 05:57.

Post Thanks / Like

Note to self:

No worries- the one for you is the GX800, sucessor to GF7/GF8 & GM5 :-)

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I never quite liked the Panasonic color JPEG engine. There's an issue with red, yellow and sometimes blue and even green.

But the GX85/GX80 jpegs I have seen around here and other places tell me that Panasonic finally figured enough right and I find myself liking a lot of the color I am seeing. Maybe the GX8 already had these changes- I haven't been following it too close since it's just not my camera (too big). But this is the first Panasonic camera I see that shows Panasonic jpegs can work (in color).

B&W Panasonic has done pretty well for a while.

- Ricardo

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say I never quite liked the Panasonic color JPEG engine. There's an issue with red, yellow and sometimes blue and even green.

But the GX85/GX80 jpegs I have seen around here and other places tell me that Panasonic finally figured enough right and I find myself liking a lot of the color I am seeing. Maybe the GX8 already had these changes- I haven't been following it too close since it's just not my camera (too big). But this is the first Panasonic camera I see that shows Panasonic jpegs can work (in color).

B&W Panasonic has done pretty well for a while.

- Ricardo
    It's that link with Leica... I'm just waiting for Leica to get their act together and re-badge the GX80 as the Digital CL...

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hot View Post
    GX80 + 12-32mm - light only one bulb 12W, distance 1.20m

pomegranate, 0.79 :-)

additional 10mm automatic ring

Amazing high quality work. The seeds are reproduced wonderfully, imho.