The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly Em1.2 High res file RAW development

tashley

Subscriber Member
Evening all!

I just traded my Em1.1 with 12-40 and 40-150 for a mark 2 with 12-100.

The idea is that it's a one-lens travel kit and a bad weather camera. I have other gear for other needs so this setup will have just these two specific use-cases.

But I have a question: how are people developing the high-res .ORF files? At first sight it seems to me as if Lightroom files look a little soft, even with well-considered sharpening, compared to the 50mp JPEG file and compared to the output form Olympus viewer, which I hate.

So do people have a good routine for this? Or am I missing something!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Evening all!

I just traded my Em1.1 with 12-40 and 40-150 for a mark 2 with 12-100.

The idea is that it's a one-lens travel kit and a bad weather camera. I have other gear for other needs so this setup will have just these two specific use-cases.

But I have a question: how are people developing the high-res .ORF files? At first sight it seems to me as if Lightroom files look a little soft, even with well-considered sharpening, compared to the 50mp JPEG file and compared to the output form Olympus viewer, which I hate.

So do people have a good routine for this? Or am I missing something!

Thanks in advance!

PS - I'm no mathematician but is it possible that the pixel shift introduces parallax error with high frequency detail? It looks to me like something is going on...

neilvan

I've only played with the High Resolution a couple of times so far with my E-M1.2 but thought I would share that I was quite impressed with the files (Raw) 'developed' with DXO Optics Pro v11.4.2. It reads the .ORI file directly....

Knorp

Never seriously tried Hi-Res myself, besides I'm using C1P.
Perhaps K-H can shed some light on this ?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've only played with the High Resolution a couple of times so far with my E-M1.2 but thought I would share that I was quite impressed with the files (Raw) 'developed' with DXO Optics Pro v11.4.2. It reads the .ORI file directly....
I thought the .ORI files was a lower res raw file, effectively a normal .ORF of some kind, that is used as a companion file for the main high res file, which is itself given the .ORF extension? So the .ORI file is the file the camera would have shot had you not put it into Hi Res mode - and is presumably one of the files captured as part of the lateral stack that makes the high res file.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
So, reporting back: I don't really find a better way of developing the high res files than the terrible Olympus viewer, but I also can't really work out what's going on with it in terms of sharpening etc and, since the differences against LR appear marginal and largely related to that sharpening, I've cracked on and taken bunch of carefully set up exposures on an appropriate tripod rig. The files need the following treatment in LR: sharpening 100,2,80,20 (that's a LOT) and clarity +20 and then season to taste. The proviso here is that you really would not want to print that wider than about 40" or maybe up to 44" if the subject matter was optimal and the file was really well taken.

That is to say that on a 140ppi monitor at 50% zoom, they look perfectly acceptable but on a 220ppi monitor at 100% they don't, quite.

Having said that, I've seen way worse on sale from serious photographers...

So: with a tripod and a good subject and careful post, I'd go to 44" for a gallery print if the wind were in the right direction. Also, amazingly, the 12-100 lens can keep up with that. I mean, it's not an IQ3-100 with an an SK lens, for sure, but the vast majority of people up to the that print size wouldn't notice the difference unless they were shown prints side by side...

A gallery with some examples processed as above, exported from LR as 91% quality JPEGS. - downloadable at full size, other than those which are crops.

It's not really what I'd hoped for in my wildest moments, but at a push, it will do, and it makes me feel that for a one lens travel kit with a light but good tripod to hand, this would satisfice. It's a lot more flexible and light than a Phase setup and even compared to my Hassy X1D it has certain advantages for that use case...

Two last things: the treatment of moving water can be quite pleasing if there's a steady flow, but if there's a bit of random splash or of spray, you can see individual pixels from each of the 8 exposures. Unless you slow the shutter speed. And bright whites in the files can blow their details without any channels blowing, oddly.

Samples of these two points, crops:

Last edited: