The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting sports with mirrorless... an experiement

pegelli

No no... but I'm getting a feeling that many photographers, like most other people in consumerism societies, are increasingly buying into new technology without really investigating if there is real progress included in the upgrade. When it comes to mirrorless cameras, we keep hearing about the improvements for each new camera released. What is rarely discussed is "Improvement compared to what?" and "How will this improve the photos I take?".
This I wholeheartedly agree with! I never joined the rat race for the newest model. 10 years ago I mostly upgraded for better low light IQ (shooting concerts and dance performances) but always after tests and reviews had shown it to be worthwhile (and the prices dropped). These days I find it hardly worth upgrading for, 2013/2014 technology has sufficient low light capability for me.

It's also somewhat related to the point I tried to make earlier (in general). Skill can compensate the lack of features or capability as you have shown with your GX8, despite the fact you didn't enjoy the process.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Of course :ROTFL:

No no... but I'm getting a feeling that many photographers, like most other people in consumerism societies, are increasingly buying into new technology without really investigating if there is real progress included in the upgrade. When it comes to mirrorless cameras, we keep hearing about the improvements for each new camera released. What is rarely discussed is "Improvement compared to what?" and "How will this improve the photos I take?".

While the X-T3 is undoubtedly an improvement compared to the X-T2, and that's fine, it's clearly not an improvement compared to a D500 when it comes to sports/action photography, which the recent dpr comparison points out. However, since mirrorless cameras have long since been crowned the king and queen of camera science by many photographers and even more so by the marketing hype, many don't see the very valid comparison with older style technology. While that may be good for the camera industry, it's a waste of money for many photographers who buy into the hype without gaining anything and in some cases actually losing.

Fuji is the grand master of this. Placing their products in the hands of cool, clever photographers like Zack Arias and Jonas Rask actually leaves the impression that their photos are good (and that Mr. Arias is a rebel) because they use Fuji. Nothing could be further from the truth of course. Both of them would make fantastic images with an old D70, and Zack Arias would easily convince any newcomer to photography that his clients don't care one bit if he uses the 6MP Nikon or the latest Phase One.

It's excellent marketing though, and the cameras are good... all of them. Still, in my view, for stills, there's only one do-it-all, and that's a DSLR, the D850 :p
I think this is where it becomes a little troubling for many - you’re assuming that people aren’t asking those questions of what Mirrorless adds to the photographer. I believe many have asked those questions are are unhappy with DSLR’s for one reason or another; are unhappy with the products offered by CaNikon for one reason or another. I believe it’s logical to assume that they tried the available DSLR’s and migrated away from them because Mirrorless fit their desires and needs beyond the marketing.

I agree with Pegelli that your camera is capable but you haven’t developed a level of trust with your equipment and if you can’t develop that trust then why not just choose a system that you do trust? I don’t understand that part personally but it’s your decision to make.

Regarding reading a manual... I don’t believe I ever have read a Mirrorless manual but I don’t believe that’s because I’m any smarter but rather I grew up in the nether regions between the analog and digital world. I did read my Canon DSLR menu but I was new to photography then so it’s an apples and oranges situation to be fair. I suspect there are teenagers and young adults younger than me that would pick up camera menus easier than I did as well... it’s a sign of the times. It’s like a time my younger cousin (she’s in her early 20’s) tried to swipe to get through pictures on my camera and I told her to hit the direction buttons to scroll. What’s normal for different generations changes.