The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G90... very promissing

drofnad

She's sponsored by Panasonic, so take it for what it is,
https://www.journalofnomads.com/panasonic-lumix-g90-g95-review/
While I don't want to go negative, really, this piece has a lousy scent to it, sounding too much like rather lame doing-her-duty as an ambassador. Some of what she says really blows her credibility, IMO.
--to wit:

Although she never had the G80/85, she's heard it has a good grip, but as the new model's was redesigned, it must be better. That's a non-sequitur (considering my complaint of how great the GX7's was in contrast i.p. to GX80/85's redesigned one).

She misstates that the "kit" lens is a "Leica" 12-60 --that would be the 2.8-4 creature; elsewhere in the article, this is (rightly) contradicted.
SAD, IMO, I see the same kit-pkg-only sales issue, for N.America, at least, per DPReview : "The G95 is only being offered as a kit in North America with the 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH Power OIS zoom. This combination will set you back around $1199, which is a $200 premium over the comparable G85 kit. : that's not appealing to current users who want to upgrade/add a camera and have already their desired lenses.

I wondered if maybe Panasonic had provided her a checklist of things to mention; but they --offering now the S1-- surely didn't create this slip:
The sensor of a Micro Four Thirds camera (also called a mirrorless camera), in this case the G90, is half the size of a full sensor camera, like a DSLR.
She'll want to double that doubling!

And this wizzard summary take?
You might wonder if there’s really a big difference between the Lumix G90/95 and the Lumix G80/85. While both cameras show a lot of similarities, I’d definitely say that the G90 is an upgraded version.
As opposed to a copy with just a new number?!

Well, sorry Tre, there it is : a <grumph>

:(

iiiNelson

While I don't want to go negative, really, this piece has a lousy scent to it, sounding too much like rather lame doing-her-duty as an ambassador. Some of what she says really blows her credibility, IMO.
--to wit:

Although she never had the G80/85, she's heard it has a good grip, but as the new model's was redesigned, it must be better. That's a non-sequitur (considering my complaint of how great the GX7's was in contrast i.p. to GX80/85's redesigned one).

She misstates that the "kit" lens is a "Leica" 12-60 --that would be the 2.8-4 creature; elsewhere in the article, this is (rightly) contradicted.
SAD, IMO, I see the same kit-pkg-only sales issue, for N.America, at least, per DPReview : "The G95 is only being offered as a kit in North America with the 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH Power OIS zoom. This combination will set you back around $1199, which is a $200 premium over the comparable G85 kit. : that's not appealing to current users who want to upgrade/add a camera and have already their desired lenses.

I wondered if maybe Panasonic had provided her a checklist of things to mention; but they --offering now the S1-- surely didn't create this slip:

I have no issue with your comments. They’re not cynical. They’re critiques that are largely tied to specific points. They’re fair criticisms... in any case though. I still believe that her points are largely valid for her purposes and usage. Doesn’t mean your criticisms are valid either.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
--to wit:

Yes, there are lots of inaccuracies in her review. She cares more about the usability of the camera than the technical facts :wtf: While the nerd in me doesn't like that much, the photographer does... a lot.

My mantra when comparing cameras has mostly been, check if the ergonomics and build quality suit you and look at the photos and footage. If there are no major differences, buy the cheapest one. Which I do.

Elderly

I personally don’t care that people are sponsored by a company or are ambassadors... it doesn’t mean they’ll all risk their credibility for a pay day. I know people have become increasingly cynical of Ambassadors and towards those with a level of relational access. I can say for certain that much of the opportunity for access comes down to individual professionalism and less of it comes solely from ability or pure social status.
A few years ago I chose a photographer to photograph my son's wedding (many many years ago I photographed my own wedding - all in mirrors).

He had a great eye for capturing a moment and was a really nice person.

Recently he became a brand ambassador for a well known camera company.

He reviewed an exciting new camera by taking it to shoot 'street photography'.
Many of the images were great moments captured …….….
…….… but then I recognised him in the background of a couple of 'his' shots.

So the reality was that in those cases the 'moment' was set up, and then shot by an assistant.

It didn't detract from the camera though - and I'm not going to give any clues as to what the brand was.

iiiNelson

A few years ago I chose a photographer to photograph my son's wedding (many many years ago I photographed my own wedding - all in mirrors).

He had a great eye for capturing a moment and was a really nice person.

Recently he became a brand ambassador for a well known camera company.

He reviewed an exciting new camera by taking it to shoot 'street photography'.
Many of the images were great moments captured …….….
…….… but then I recognised him in the background of a couple of 'his' shots.

So the reality was that in those cases the 'moment' was set up, and then shot by an assistant.

It didn't detract from the camera though - and I'm not going to give any clues as to what the brand was.
Well yes, companies will setup corporate events for press and ambassadors to test their products. No question about that - but then for an experienced shooter how different are the cameras? They either perform within your existing workflow, assist in your workflow efficiency, or they’re something to pass over.

I just believe that people need to take time to step step back from it all. I think collectively the photographic community is resistant to ANY change and many don’t acknowledge the writing on the wall. It’s why many have the most harsh critiques of YouTube creators, many are resistant to the importance of video, many are overly critical to the style of brand ambassadors, and many are flat out hypocritical.

How many bashed Mirrorless for years and are now all about it now that their brand of choice is in the game now? How many people like Eye-AF now that their camera does it? How many are happy about having a higher quality camera in a small (for when you want to go small) package? How many are now saying dual card slots are no longer important? A few years ago, how many stated that pro cameras didn’t need articulating screens of any types or that pro photographers wouldn’t want that.

My personal feelings is that its important and responsible for camera makers to recognize a wide swath of voices. I don’t agree with the idea that sometimes the loudest voices get the most attention in the face of the photographic community but that’s for the marketing departments to figure out. It’s their job to place a diverse set of potential users in their gravity to assist in their design decisions. I think there’s room for niche companies to concentrate on specific needs like leica does with the M but I also believe it’s important for the all-around cameras to not have any serious flaws so that people can justify not just using their iPhone.