Site Sponsors

Thread: ep1 in depth review just posted

Post Thanks / Like

ep1 in depth review just posted

Ranger 9

Re: ep1 in depth review just posted

They lost me by the fourth paragraph, where the reviewer states: "the E-P1's styling (and all metal construction) harks back to the glory days of the mechanical camera..."

Evidently Simon Joinson is the only person in the photo-blogosphere who hasn't seen all those photos of the E-P1's plastic guts... or else he's very, very careless about how he uses words such as "all metal construction." Either way, it makes me wonder how well-informed a review this really is.

[Mind you, I don't have any issues with the fact that the E-P 1 has a plastic chassis... it's just that I expect reviewers on the big-name sites to get their basic facts right...]

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a really accurate review with the exception of what Ranger noted. It really captures the balance of pros and cons and it also really captures the mood angle well in its conclusion.

Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even the best reviewers are not as good as
    a users post...I follow threads from users and
    make my decision from the real info.

I know a few who are getting the camera from
    my feelings about it . I made my decision from right here
    at this forum....

Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you. I can read as many good reviews are there are, but talking to real reliable users is a big part of my decision making process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ya know it's a funny process buying a camera.
    I started off about a month ago dead against getting the Oly. Then I read and got excited. I looked at images and realized the potential even without a good raw processor...

then, I found out that there was no focus scale and dropped the idea of the camera as a waste of tiem....I mean with a 17mm and the finder....what good is it if ya can't use Hyper-focal Distance....?

So I was reading again and then...Jono posted that he could see to about 170 degrees and the screen was clear....I realized immediately that if I changed my way of thinking, I could get the image with this camera...I had it in less than 12 hours from reading Jono's post....

I never saw that posted anywhere else and that was the determining factor, the simple fact that the camera would assist in changing the way I worked and thought...I could read all the reviews in the world but....from a user, the decision was made...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This review (and any future ones) would not make me buy the E-P1. Why bother reading it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post

So I was reading again and then...Jono posted that he could see to about 170 degrees and the screen was clear....I realized immediately that if I changed my way of thinking, I could get the image with this camera...I had it in less than 12 hours from reading Jono's post....

I never saw that posted anywhere else and that was the determining factor, the simple fact that the camera would assist in changing the way I worked and thought...I could read all the reviews in the world but....from a user, the decision was made...
    Gorblimey mate - don't blame me
    I'm with Tim on the review, I think it's a sensible review, and as for the 'all metal construction' remark, well, at least the outside is!
    They seem to have understood well the fact that the sum of it's parts is more than . . .erm . . .it's parts!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

think the telling thing in the review was that imagewise the EP-1 takes pictures that compete with its price rivals from Nikon and Canon.

this is a review lots of people will reference...remember DPreview is closely allied to Amazon and the generally glowing terms will no doubt help sell a lot of E-P1's... Which in the end benefits us all by giving Olympus profits to keep making great cameras.

So it doesn't have a viewfinder... the target market for this camera is for people who have never had a viewfinder

K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,
    Bulldinky brother.... You are responsible for
    my purchase...and my wife knows it to...

Kevin, in all honosty, I completely stopped
    film at the exact turn of the century.
    It was a planned decision. All my Leica's sleep
    gently since then....but...
    for the very 1st time, I am completely satisfied
    with a camera since then....
    The only other camera that gets close is the
    DP1......
    If that ain't singing something...
    Nuttin...is
    don

Post Thanks / Like

I blame Jono as well. I wasn't considering the camera due to the relatively low rez screen (lack of EVF doesn't bother me at all). Jono's comments *forced* me to go to my local shop and try it in person. He then subliminally *forced* me to go back the same day and buy it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

oh understand I am very close to buying one... just they dont seem to be available in France with the 17mm yet.... Though I am sure even as I write this Jonoslack is bribing truck drivers to speed up shipments as part of his dastardly scheme to control us all :-)

K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono's on commission, you know -- but this time I've managed to resist.....so far
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Jono's on commission, you know -- but this time I've managed to resist.....so far
    Robt.,
    You won't like the camera. Afterall, it feels like a part of your vision and anatomy when you use it....It's got beautiful design and the quality just oozzeesseess from the essence of the camera....who needs that kinda stuff...
    It also makes great images and with great IQ...who cares...

So what if it has interchangable lenses....who cares.....

Robt....forget it....

PS,... when ya get it...I'd love to see some images....
    Don

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robt.,
    You won't like the camera. Afterall, it feels like a part of your vision and anatomy when you use it....It's got beautiful design and the quality just oozzeesseess from the essence of the camera....who needs that kinda stuff...

Robt....forget it....

Don

You're learning :-)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I blame Jono as well. I wasn't considering the camera due to the relatively low rez screen (lack of EVF doesn't bother me at all). Jono's comments *forced* me to go to my local shop and try it in person. He then subliminally *forced* me to go back the same day and buy it.

Bah - I'm only here to give people a laugh

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    think the telling thing in the review was that imagewise the EP-1 takes pictures that compete with its price rivals from Nikon and Canon.
    So it doesn't have a viewfinder... the target market for this camera is for people who have never had a viewfinder

K
    Hi Kevin - I wonder about the target market . . .I wonder if Olympus knew who it was as well.

Anyway, I have to be nice to you, as I promised to send some film to Paris, and I just realised that I haven't

Now, with the whole house in a state of complete chaos and flies, I'm not even sure where it is . . . Please will you grovel to Cam for me.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono....more grovelling!!!.... do you have a source for kevlar kneepads ? :-)

plus I am worried what size of flies you have that can hide film :-)

no panic .. do what you can do when you can

K

ps hugs from cam

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kevin...ya looking for 35mm film?
    I think I have some in the freezer that I will never use....
    Let me know....Don

ravduc

Smile Re: just joined this forum

I have been reading this forum for the last few month and have finally registered. I have been using four third cameras ever since Olympus introduced the E-300 (five years ago) and have since purchased two E-1's, and E-300, E-3 and Digilux 3 in this format. What I find most interesting about the release of the EP-1 is the interest that it generates among traditional Canon, Nikon, Leica etc users. People are finally getting to use and appreciate this format and Olympus IQ. Many of the biases against Olympus IQ were previously based on reviews which would compare the high iso noise factor, and comments from people who had never even used a four thirds camera (most of them sales people promoting other brands, again based on their biases). A lot of these biases were based on pixel peeping rather than what these cameras can actually do with when you print.
    DP review has now helped to promote this camera even more. Many more traditional Nikon and Canon users will now be taking a closer look at Olympus cameras and appreciate some of the innovations that have been implemented by this company since it's first camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I had planned on buying the EP1 anyway and did not wait for any reviews. Those I read now mainly confirm my experience. I believe one has to try the EP1 to actually grok it. I think it's a super fantastic camera and through real user feedback I've been able to get the most out of it.

Soon after the EP1 I went the other direction and bought a Mamiya 7ii medium format film camera too. I should have all my bases covered now : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robt.,

Robt....forget it....

Don
    And you are in league with Jono
    Sláinte

Robert.

OzRay

The real thing about the review is that it clearly demonstrates that this camera has excellent picture taking capabilities. The 'Cons' are really inconsequential, in the main, as they are just design factors that don't hinder the picture taking experience, if you're prepared to change your habits. And why mention slow focus twice?

Cheers

Ray

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post
    Jono....more grovelling!!!.... do you have a source for kevlar kneepads ? :-)

plus I am worried what size of flies you have that can hide film :-)

no panic .. do what you can do when you can

K

ps hugs from cam
    I buy all my kneepads from bee berman (fogg bags), so there is no kevlar in sight.

It isn't the size of flies, it's the number - we have some kind of a plague - I counted 50 in less than 10 cm on the kitchen ceiling . . . it's very horrid, and we're having to eat in the garden . . even if it's raining (which, of course, it is!).

Hugs back to cam . . . . . you are a lucky man (possibly even as lucky as me, and that's VERY lucky!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

ok I didn't read the whole thing and wish to register a complaint:

the batter door sucks. I mean seriously sucks. I predict it will be the first thing to break on the camera.

Back to hugs and kisses

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ok I didn't read the whole thing and wish to register a complaint:

the batter door sucks. I mean seriously sucks. I predict it will be the first thing to break on the camera.

Back to hugs and kisses
    Actually..what happens is this...

After you get the camera...on the eve of the 2nd night...the camera transforms in to a Leica M9...but no one talks about it....so the battery door is a null issue...

Post Thanks / Like

Actually..what happens is this...

After you get the camera...on the eve of the 2nd night...the camera transforms in to a Leica M9...but no one talks about it....so the battery door is a null issue...
    So then I have to buy IR filters and then get to claim that my files look better than those coming from MF digital back?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So then I have to buy IR filters and then get to claim that my files look better than those coming from MF digital back?
    exactly and exactly why I sold my M8's....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Juno made me do it

I'll confess - Jono didn't really make me buy the Pen but his ideas on shooting did make me look at how I am using it. However, his early posts on the Pen and some of his even earlier posts with the E-3 did help convince me to give 4/3's a try.

I think it's worth blaming him a least a little.

Jono - thanks for the insights.

Jim
    Last edited by JMaher; 29th July 2009 at 16:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by andrewteee View Post
    I had planned on buying the EP1 anyway and did not wait for any reviews. Those I read now mainly confirm my experience. I believe one has to try the EP1 to actually grok it. I think it's a super fantastic camera and through real user feedback I've been able to get the most out of it.

Soon after the EP1 I went the other direction and bought a Mamiya 7ii medium format film camera too. I should have all my bases covered now : )
    Good decision. When it comes to making good photographs, there are few cameras at any price, format, or means of capture that can compete with the M7II. But it's not for everyone.

As for the EP-1, I recently got one. So far I have been very impressed. I had long wanted a compact camera with good results, and I was never really persuaded by the Ricohs, Canon G10 or Sigma DP cameras. The EP-1 is not much larger than these cameras, but in my eyes it obliterates them in terms of image quality and flexibility. For me at least, I often want a compact camera to bring along to parties, concerts, or just my daily life. Often these places are dark or require higher ISO's. The EP-1 is a HUGE improvement over the Gx-100, which I was using before. It does not have the image quality of the D3 or M8 (well, it beats the M8 over ISO 640), but it does not have to. I think we finally got something to fill the role filled by cameras like the Leica CL, Contax G1. It is not quite there in file quality compared to the full sized top of the line DSLR's, but it is close enough to make a more than adequate substitute when size and weight are more of a consideration than carrying a full kit.

But I do disagree about 4/3rds being a true substitute for full frame systems as expressed by ravduc. The inherent difference in depth of field and lens design means that for me at least, I am not able to achieve many of the types of photos I like most. There is no way to achieve something like what you can get with a 35mm f/1.4 on full frame -- a wide angle of view with narrow depth of field. Simply using a longer lens or moving closer is not a solution. Even 35mm is a stretch at times....6x6 or 6x7 gives me the best depth of field characteristics...give me a 50mm f/2.8 or 110/2 any day...

Edit: sorry for my miserable writing...it's 1am and I am just trying to get the ideas out...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Even the best reviewers are not as good as
    a users post...I follow threads from users and
    make my decision from the real info.
    Which is why I have a DP-1 coming my way in the mail...
    I squarely blame it on certain members of this forum
    thanks guys
    am

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the review was very fair and balanced. They did ding it for AF and they did say the menu system while ultra configurable was a challenge to use. I'm just excited that the format has a lot of people looking and trying it. That can only be good for the future and the desire for Oly and Panny to create more models.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    That can only be good for the future and the desire for Oly and Panny to create more models.
    And lenses. I *really* want something like a light weight 50mm prime (100mm equivalent).

OzRay

And lenses. I *really* want something like a light weight 50mm prime (100mm equivalent).
    Personally, I'm not so sure about 'light weight'. I'm currently using a Nokton 50mm f1.1 and it feels perfectly balanced with the Pen, much more so than the standard zoom. Even the 28mm f2, being a lot lighter but heavier than the standard zoom, feels better. That little bit of extra 'heft' just balances things so much better.

Cheers

Ray

PeterLeyssens

Hi,

First of all, I am also very impressed by the DPReview review. It's clear that they appreciate the fact that Olympus has gone all-out to try and change the market. They see the weak points and point them out, but they put it well into perspective when they say that this is basically an E-30 in a pocketable package with an incredible amount of design innovation added to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I wonder about the target market . . .I wonder if Olympus knew who it was as well.
    I wonder too. After all, they can start with a vision (get great quality in a tiny package, like the original PEN and OM series), but this is 2009, not 1959. There's a lot that has changed, and one of the key points is the LCD vs VF discussion. Olympus has taken a couple of very tough decisions, but I doubt they could've guessed what the impact would be. All they could do, was try their best at making a camera consistent with their vision. The fact that Canon, Nikon and Leica users are taking notice, I think, is way beyond their expectations. Also, they could not have anticipated that the E-P1 seems to be becoming an instant cult classic with manual focus users.

Referring to a few other posts about the E-P1 and changing one's ways of approaching to photography: I'm looking forward to it, but there doesn't seem to be a single shop in Belgium where I can try the camera out before I buy it. Reading this forum, I sure get the impression that it's what I have been waiting for in a digital camera, so I already bought myself 3 convertor rings and a C mount lens in anticipation. Let's hope I like the camera, then, I'd feel like a complete fool otherwise

Luckily, there's always Jono to blame. Be certain that my wife will get to know your name when she finds the packages on the doorstep !

Peter.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLeyssens View Post
    Also, they could not have anticipated that the E-P1 seems to be becoming an instant cult classic with manual focus users.
    well, perhaps they could have ... I have a friend who worked in r&d for Hitachi in home stereo stuff in the late 80's He said that their philosophy was never be #1 with release on a product. You might miss the wave but you definitely miss costs in being bleeding edge.

Given that Panasonic had that edge I think it has paved a lot of the cult interest in the adapted lenses. I notice that Olympus has released a OM -> micro4/3rds adaptor straight away and I think that its interesting just how close it really is to the original concept

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    But I do disagree about 4/3rds being a true substitute for full frame systems as expressed by ravduc. The inherent difference in depth of field and lens design means that for me at least, I am not able to achieve many of the types of photos I like most. There is no way to achieve something like what you can get with a 35mm f/1.4 on full frame -- a wide angle of view with narrow depth of field. Simply using a longer lens or moving closer is not a solution. Even 35mm is a stretch at times....6x6 or 6x7 gives me the best depth of field characteristics...give me a 50mm f/2.8 or 110/2 any day...
    I quite agree - I use the A900 for that. However, the extra depth of field on 4/3 (and m4/3 of course) is great sometimes - macro comes to mind, but there are lots of circumstances when more is better.

I've long since given up the idea of only having one camera system, it just don't work. But I'm right with you with the E-P1, finally there is something small which is actually good as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Edit: sorry for my miserable writing...it's 1am and I am just trying to get the ideas out...
    Been out boozing with Terry?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterLeyssens View Post
    Luckily, there's always Jono to blame. Be certain that my wife will get to know your name when she finds the packages on the doorstep !

Peter.
    Hey you guys - what's all this with 'telling your wives'. I can handle you guys no problem, but not the girls!

Lucky I'm just a cyberperson and don't really exist . . . . met me?
    I rest my case

p.s. my real name is Guy Mancuso

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey you guys - what's all this with 'telling your wives'. I can handle you guys no problem, but not the girls!

Lucky I'm just a cyberperson and don't really exist . . . . met me?
    I rest my case

p.s. my real name is Guy Mancuso
    Hey, I don't ask my wife! I would just have to look in the mirror and ask myself!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Been out boozing with Terry?
    Hey it was not even totally dark that late!

ravduc

I must have been misunderstood. I never intended to compare four thirds with full frame but rather with with the APS-C format. Many have been claiming for years that the APS-C format is far superior. IMO this is just a myth. Most of the people claiming this have never even used a four thirds camera.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok Marc. I understand now. I guess the real catch is that every sensor size brings with it its own advantages and disadvantages. Assuming equal technology, the larger the sensor the better the resolution, noise performance, dynamic range and so on. But increasing sensor size has big disadvantages too -- more power consumption, larger camera bodies, bigger heavier lenses to cover the larger sensor area, slower data streams (assuming it is higher resolution), more difficulty storing images and so on.

For what it's worth, we had the EXACT same issue with film, and the fact that we are now getting there with digital is a testament to digital's maturity. You have to pick your poison -- do you want compact with good results but difficulty doing certain things (shallow depth of field, large optical VF's etc), kind of bulky and heavy with very good results and the best flexibility, or absolute best quality with quite big and heavy camera systems, less flexibility, extreme prices and complicated workflows? That is the 4/3rds, full frame/ MFD market choices for the moment anyway.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Hey it was not even totally dark that late!
    You mean you only drink when it's dark?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I've long since given up the idea of only having one camera system, it just don't work.
    Its been mentioned to me that I should sell off my 5D (and other Canon bodies) and lenses since they haven't been used much recently. I admit I've thought about it, but I just don't think that's really something I can do. I still love shooting some things--and the results--with the 5D. I can probably, in the end, sell off a few lenses, but not my fast primes, not my 12-24 or TS, not my FE--ah well LOL.

I admit I shoot more with the G1 than the 5D these days, but I think the 5D will stick around for a good while. They each have their place.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Let me ask this question it may have been asked before. Will nikon lens be able to autofocus with the adapter on the EP1?
    Will they meter correctly?

Harold
    Last edited by hlwms; 3rd August 2009 at 10:42.

Post Thanks / Like

Harold, I'm a Canon shooter, but think this applies. I believe all the adaptors, except the Oly/Panny adaptors, don't have electrical contacts (I reserve right to be corrected LOL). That means that all lenses are MF only on both G1/GH1 and E-P1. I do occasionally use EF mounts (current Canon mount with no aperture settings on lens--body only) wide open (or reset on EOS body) and they meter correctly--as do my old Canon FDs and Konica Hexanon, so I'm assuming all the legacy lenses meter correctly on all m4/3rds bodies.

Diane
    c