Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    photo: Fence, Yard & Fog


    Panasonic L1 + Summilux-D 25mm f/1.4 ASPH
    context: http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com...e-yard-and-fog

    I love the fog.

    Comments always appreciated, thanks for looking!

  2. #2
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Really nice. Really really nice!

  3. #3
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Ya know you asked for comments soooo,
    I really like the image...but I hate the title.....

    The title forces the frame to be a box....instead of a window..
    shooter

  4. #4
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Godfrey, I really like this photo. It has so much depth.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Thank you, Godfrey. I had always thought fog was a losing proposition...lots of gray nothing. I am wrong. On vacation a week ago we had dreary weather, so I made lemonade, so to speak. Here's one of my fog pics:

    Early morning
    E-P1, exif data is missing. All I know is that it was shot with the 14-42 kit lens.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    thank you!

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Ya know you asked for comments soooo,
    I really like the image...but I hate the title.....

    The title forces the frame to be a box....instead of a window..
    shooter
    Thank you for the comment. However, I honestly don't understand what you mean ... can you articulate further what distinction you're making the allusion the title forces the frame to be a box....instead of a window ?

    BTW: Did you read the blog post or just look at the photo?

    thx!

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Thanks for commenting, tom.

    That's a nice shot. You should keep going with the concept of working the fog. :-)

  9. #9
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Thank you for the comment. However, I honestly don't understand what you mean ... can you articulate further what distinction you're making the allusion the title forces the frame to be a box....instead of a window ?

    BTW: Did you read the blog post or just look at the photo?

    thx!
    Godfrey,
    I will try to explain....

    Let's start by seeing the rectangle as a frame...thus the saying, framing an image, used during capture....

    When an image is presented to a viewer.....the viewer gets a certain amount of info from the image...then the imagination starts to flow and the juices start to flow.....

    The image is it's own reality....not a representation of a 3 dimensional reality but it's own reality.......

    If the image has a descriptive title, then it forces a preconception on the viewer....the viewer is froces to accept the words to the image and it inhibits the viewing experience...thus the term...
    it's in a box......

    Without the title...the viewer's imagination is forced to work and try to reach it's own conclusions about the image.....this is allowing the viewer to be a part of the image and because of this interaction, the frame becomes a window.....

    With your image above, the content is very decsriptive by itself, and I soooo wanted to take off on it...( I did anyway) but the words kept forcing me to see it THEIR way that I was in a BOX....

    This is neither a positive nor negative comment but merely a try at a description of the question you asked......

    Don

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    Thank you, Godfrey. I had always thought fog was a losing proposition...lots of gray nothing. I am wrong. On vacation a week ago we had dreary weather, so I made lemonade, so to speak. Here's one of my fog pics:

    Early morning
    E-P1, exif data is missing. All I know is that it was shot with the 14-42 kit lens.
    Tom,

    Interesting image......
    I am captivated by the creature crawling out of the water........
    Don

  11. #11
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Godfrey,
    I will try to explain....

    Let's start by seeing the rectangle as a frame...thus the saying, framing an image, used during capture....

    . . . . . .
    it's in a box......

    Without the title...the viewer's imagination is forced to work and try to reach it's own conclusions about the image.....this is allowing the viewer to be a part of the image and because of this interaction, the frame becomes a window.....


    Don
    Thanks Don, that is illuminating. I'm a great fan of David Hockney, and his message is that the painting always represents a story that the viewer can figure out in his own way. I'm too lazy to give my pictures names but now I see that this might be a distraction to the strength of the image.
    Still a lovely picture Godfrey, and I love the others on your web site.

    Keith

  12. #12
    Senior Member JBurnett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Great composition and mood.
    Best regards,
    John.
    http://jburnett.ca

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    thanks again everyone for the comments!

    @street:

    Oh I understand that, yes indeed. The imposition of a title does change the perception of an image.

    As the author of a piece, one can either leave it untitled or title it. The problem is one of communication, in my opinion. If you leave a piece untitled, it still has a name ... "Untitled" ... which can either say to a viewer "I didn't know what to make of this, maybe you do" (kind of a weak message imo) or it can say, "The piece speaks for itself, you should be able to figure it out; if you can't, tough" which seems pretentious to me. Too strong a title pushes the viewer into too narrow a channel of perception. Too weak a title often reduces the viewer's interest in a piece. The most often heard question on showing a person a photograph that isn't intended to be totally literal is, "What is that a picture of?"

    So there are hard and yet fuzzy lines in the pavement to step around.

    I feel I have to title my work somehow, as a practical matter, for the simple purpose of having some handle for a person to refer to it by. I dislike the pretension implied in a title like "Untitled #2044a". I spend a lot of time thinking about the titles I apply so as not, in my opinion, to box in the viewer's perceptions too much while giving some suggestion of my intent in the authoring of a piece.

    NO solution to titling is perfect, I've found, and it affect some people more and in different way than it does others. Many completely ignore the titles I put on the photos, others seem to become fixated on them and suggest changes, alternatives, elision ...

    All points of view are worth listening to, however, so I thank you for bringing up this interesting topic.

  14. #14
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Godfrey,
    You certainly have a grasp on the ideas.

    We as photographers live by a rule known as,
    "The inverse square law".
    For me, less info going into an image gives me more to ponder upon.

    Your fence image has a very delicate feeling to it and yet it is obstructed by the fence.
    It makes me search out what is beyound my reach....
    That I am not allowed to touch....

    The title for me describes things that hold back my exploration.
    It's your image, your title...and my opinion....
    Don

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Tom,

    Interesting image......
    I am captivated by the creature crawling out of the water........
    Don
    I think you mean the thing on the rock near the left margin. I hadn't even noticed before, but I know the location very well. What you see is an iron pipe or bar imbedded next to the rock. It does look like something alive.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Per Ofverbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    I think you mean the thing on the rock near the left margin....
    No, no, I can see it clearly, too..

    That big red rock in the middle of the water has a head with eyes, nose, and mouth... Looks like a crossing between an elderly sergeant and a pig....

  17. #17
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Per....
    exactly but Tom has the other critter on the left....

    Sure wouldn't wanna swim in there......

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,008
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Quote Originally Posted by Streetshooter View Post
    Per....
    exactly but Tom has the other critter on the left....

    Sure wouldn't wanna swim in there......
    Uff da, I'm never going in that lake again!

  19. #19
    Senior Member m3photo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28

    Re: Titles

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Oh I understand that, yes indeed. The imposition of a title does change the perception of an image.
    I hadn't thought of it this way. Hmm, could be interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    As the author of a piece, one can either leave it untitled or title it. The problem is one of communication, in my opinion. If you leave a piece untitled, it still has a name ... "Untitled" ... which can either say to a viewer "I didn't know what to make of this, maybe you do" (kind of a weak message imo) or it can say, "The piece speaks for itself, you should be able to figure it out; if you can't, tough" which seems pretentious to me.
    I quite agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I feel I have to title my work somehow, as a practical matter, for the simple purpose of having some handle for a person to refer to it by. I dislike the pretension implied in a title like "Untitled #2044a". I spend a lot of time thinking about the titles I apply so as not, in my opinion, to box in the viewer's perceptions too much while giving some suggestion of my intent in the authoring of a piece.
    I often find myself giving the image I'm shooting a title there and then, even going so far as to not bothering to fire the shutter when what I thought would be initially an interesting subject to photograph and put a title to turns out not to be so in the viewfinder.

    It's the old English saying many Americans chuckle at: Horses for Courses.

  20. #20
    Subscriber Member Streetshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,431
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    17

    Re: photo: Fence, Yard & Fog

    Hmmmm, not sure I really agree about the "Untitled" thing.....

    As a title, it still leaves the viewer open space to ponder the image and reach their own conclusion without preconceptions going in to it.

    I'm not saying that all descriptive titles are not valid, just the opposite. A title becomes a part of the work just as much as a frame and mat does.

    For me, and really, for many others....a date and or location is all that's needed...but then again.....

    as so many American's say....."Horses For Courses"........

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Michiel Schierbeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam/Normandy
    Posts
    4,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    762

    Re: thanks again everyone for the comments!

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    @street:

    Oh I understand that, yes indeed. The imposition of a title does change the perception of an image.

    As the author of a piece, one can either leave it untitled or title it. The problem is one of communication, in my opinion. If you leave a piece untitled, it still has a name ... "Untitled" ... which can either say to a viewer "I didn't know what to make of this, maybe you do" (kind of a weak message imo) or it can say, "The piece speaks for itself, you should be able to figure it out; if you can't, tough" which seems pretentious to me. Too strong a title pushes the viewer into too narrow a channel of perception. Too weak a title often reduces the viewer's interest in a piece. The most often heard question on showing a person a photograph that isn't intended to be totally literal is, "What is that a picture of?"

    So there are hard and yet fuzzy lines in the pavement to step around.

    I feel I have to title my work somehow, as a practical matter, for the simple purpose of having some handle for a person to refer to it by. I dislike the pretension implied in a title like "Untitled #2044a". I spend a lot of time thinking about the titles I apply so as not, in my opinion, to box in the viewer's perceptions too much while giving some suggestion of my intent in the authoring of a piece.

    NO solution to titling is perfect, I've found, and it affect some people more and in different way than it does others. Many completely ignore the titles I put on the photos, others seem to become fixated on them and suggest changes, alternatives, elision ...

    All points of view are worth listening to, however, so I thank you for bringing up this interesting topic.
    Yes Hallo,
    Giving titles are a part of my life too, but I don't think there always is a neccesaty to title Photographs, or artworks for that matter.
    Sometimes they pop up in your mind instantly, sometimes you can't find anything you find appropiate, especially right after production.
    Then a title can come in later.
    When it's a part of a serie, you can just give the work a number.
    How can you title the mood your in, or was.
    Anyway I don't think a title qualifys a work as being more interesting, in many cases titles are so obvious, you would not need them.
    I like your photograph, don't get me wrong, but a good work can speak for itself, I think.
    In other cases they can help to give people a handle for association.
    A good title (can) help(s).
    Conclusion;
    Best regards, Michiel

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •