The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ebony RW810E from Japan?

georgl

I've thought about switching from digital to the other extreme - 8x10" - for some time now.
On Photokina I've handled an Ebony for the first time and I think I'm in love... :)

I've always wanted to visit Japan anyway and wonder how expensive the Ebony RW810E (yes, Ebony wood) is there? Ebonycamera.com only mentions the resellers for foreign customers - would it be possible to collect it directly from Ebony?

I will take a few months to rethink this crazy investment but first I wanted to know the facts.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's a beautiful camera, and 8x10 is a blast to shoot with. It is a very slow, methodical and almost Zen-like process that has a lot of appeal.

Oren Grad

Keep in mind is that these cameras aren't mass-production items. So even if they're willing to let you pick one up in person, you can't be sure that they'll have the model you want on the shelf if you just drop in on short notice. Lead time if they have to build one to order can be several months.

So... email Ebony and ask them! :)

Lars

Georgl,

I believe the prices in Japan are not much different. With the recent dive of the US dollar it's probably cheaper in the US now - might be beneficial to order one from Badger Graphic before the exchange rate impacts prices.

You could ping Per Volquarz (www.pervolquartz.com) if you want to hear of some more first-hand experience with the Ebony 8x10's. Just mention that I sent you.

Lars