The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm in love...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Why did a wait so long to met the APO 180/3.4?
Shot these today of the Will Roger's Tower in Fort Worth, Texas from the steps of the Amon Carter museum. I've tried keep sizing ratios constant but there is a ton of detail in the full image than the downsized crop shows. I've got to move to a 1DsMkIII.

Full Frame
View attachment 16011

100 percent crop
View attachment 16012

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Looks pretty nice, John. Just shows that the "lowly" 5D doesn't do too badly with the right diet of good glass.

(Looks like your sensor needs a little Rocket puff though. ;) )

bensonga

Ok, ok....you guys are really tempting me here. John sent me a link to a 180/3.4 for sale and I've got a 5D, but I hadn't really thought of using the Leica glass on the Canon, since my first experience focusing it etc was not great. It seems much more suited to the R8 in that regard.

Question: Are you using something other than the standard focusing screen in the 5D? Maybe it's my eyes, but I really have a hard time being sure I've got the focus right when using manual focus lenses with the standard DSLR focusing screens. It's so much easier with a microprism/split image focusing screen.

Gary
Alaska

LCT

...Are you using something other than the standard focusing screen in the 5D? ... It's so much easier with a microprism/split image focusing screen...
The standard Canon focus screen is not accurate enough for manual focus purpose in my experience.
The Canon EE-S focus screen is better, specially for slow lenses.
Vendors like Brightscreen and Haoda sell special microprism and/or split image screens for the 5D as well.
Mine is a Brightscreen (about $160).
An AF confirm adapter can be much usefull as well.
I've bought mines at Enjoyyourcamera.com (http://tinyurl.com/9j6vdq). They are rather expensive (EUR 80) but they are tested before sale so that there is no play between the lens and the adapter. Now much cheaper ones cas be found easily on eBay.

cdnguyen

Thanks LCT. Long time no talk... I use the EEs screen plus af confirmation for my picture taking with the 5D and it helps.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Ok, ok....you guys are really tempting me here. John sent me a link to a 180/3.4 for sale and I've got a 5D, but I hadn't really thought of using the Leica glass on the Canon, since my first experience focusing it etc was not great. It seems much more suited to the R8 in that regard.

Question: Are you using something other than the standard focusing screen in the 5D? Maybe it's my eyes, but I really have a hard time being sure I've got the focus right when using manual focus lenses with the standard DSLR focusing screens. It's so much easier with a microprism/split image focusing screen.

Gary
Alaska
I use HappypageHK's focus confirmation adapter and it works like charm.

I started using Rudolf's focus confirmation adapters when I got my Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon. I also have his Zuiko adapter and just got his latest R to EOS and it is outstanding. I'm getting ready to update my Zuiko adapter(s) and the Zeiss.