The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm X-Pro1 vs. Olympus OMD E-M5

Braeside

Dave, there are headaches and headaches!!:ROTFL::ROTFL:
OMD/A900.....very much lighter and smaller!;)

Whilst I still have the A900 (and A77) which are both superb cameras but I think that the A900 will go soon, I still need some more with the OMD..this next trip will I hope determine whether I throw my lot in with m4/3rds and XP1 :confused:
Thanks for that Dave, I should mention that I am available in January to help carry your A900 kit:D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Dave, there are headaches and headaches!!:ROTFL::ROTFL:
OMD/A900.....very much lighter and smaller!;)

Whilst I still have the A900 (and A77) which are both superb cameras but I think that the A900 will go soon, I still need some more with the OMD..this next trip will I hope determine whether I throw my lot in with m4/3rds and XP1 :confused:
The OMD might be a real reason to go for, I would simply forget the XP1, as it is not mature enough.

I am very much intrigued by the A99 and would I not already own the D800E I would definitely buy the A99 and move back to Sony/Zeiss again :) But the A99 (except the relatively short battery life) has all I want.

Just my 5c

Pelao

I imagine the distinction is the same for the X-pro1, which means that perhaps the subject should be X-pro1 PLUS the OMD!
Very sensible.

I would simply forget the XP1, as it is not mature enough.
Not sure what you mean by this. if you mean that the system is not mature in the sense of a small range of lenses I would agree, though that will change rapidly. In every other sense I disagree entirely, with the sometimes exception of RAW; an attraction for me is that the Fuji is based on very mature knowledge and principles. It just works.

dhsimmonds

Thanks for that Dave, I should mention that I am available in January to help carry your A900 kit:D
Dave if you knew the number of long FL G and Zeiss lenses you might want to retract that sentiment!! I shall be taking 26 days to do the round trip and I need a lightweight but excellent digital kit. A real test for the little OMD e-M5 IMHO. Either it or the Sony's get sold afterwards.;)

I am really hopeful for the little OMD though, based on my recent trip to the Cyclades Islands.....still processing, but some images soon!

jonoslack

Dave if you knew the number of long FL G and Zeiss lenses you might want to retract that sentiment!! I shall be taking 26 days to do the round trip and I need a lightweight but excellent digital kit. A real test for the little OMD e-M5 IMHO. Either it or the Sony's get sold afterwards.;)

I am really hopeful for the little OMD though, based on my recent trip to the Cyclades Islands.....still processing, but some images soon!
HI Dave
I spent 2 weeks in Crete shooting with the OMD - it was unfailingly good, and there is hardly a shot where the camera came up short (plenty, I'm afraid, where I came up short!).

hsteeves

As another dual owner, the OMD has pretty well taken over my shooting. The bag I carry everything is just so small and I'm covered from 7 mm to 300. The Fuji now just kind of sits forlornly at home. I find the body too big now. Love the 35 and the 60. Love the output - wish there was a better RAW converter.
I went on a 4/3s trip to Montana last month. OMD, 645D and a Fuji 680. no Fuji shots, maybe 150 645 and 65megs of OMD. But then again it was ugly out while I was there.

Pelao

As another dual owner, the OMD has pretty well taken over my shooting. The bag I carry everything is just so small and I'm covered from 7 mm to 300. The Fuji now just kind of sits forlornly at home. I find the body too big now. Love the 35 and the 60. Love the output - wish there was a better RAW converter.
I went on a 4/3s trip to Montana last month. OMD, 645D and a Fuji 680. no Fuji shots, maybe 150 645 and 65megs of OMD. But then again it was ugly out while I was there.
A good illustration of the choice really being very personal; what is important to you, what you shoot, the range you require etc.

dhsimmonds

A good illustration of the choice really being very personal; what is important to you, what you shoot, the range you require etc.
Pelao, you are so right. When asked by a beginner what camera should I buy, I always reply with a question.....what do you intend to do with the resulting images?

I have to repeatedly ask myself the same question and even after over 60 years of owning cameras of all types, it is only just getting easier to answer!

So far the OMD satisfies all I need from a camera. Enough IQ to produce A3 size prints, album prints and digital images for projection. The dynamic range is excellent, files are reasonably robust, but I do have some little doubts about it's high ISO performance on a few of my night time images from the Cyclades trip all processed from RAW.

I need to re-visit those images and apply some noise reduction..........something I have never had to do with the XP1 or Sony images. It's not a deal breaker for me anyway as I rarely use high ISO and it's no worse than the A900 (not as good as the A77 though) and infinitely better than my old Leica R9/DMR outfit. :rolleyes:

I have always shunned 4/3rds because of the inherent lower DR and ISO capability in a body hardly any smaller then the smallest APSc DSLR bodies.

That has all changed with m4/3rds and the OMD in particular. I have always appreciated the quality of Zuiko lenses so it is all coming together now for me. :D

Pelao

.That has all changed with m4/3rds and the OMD in particular. I have always appreciated the quality of Zuiko lenses so it is all coming together now for me.
That's a great place to be; getting the results you need from a camera and lenses you enjoy using. I'm in a similar position with the X-Pro 1. It's not as versatile as the Olympus ( which I looked at very carefully before settling on the Fuji), but it does what I need, and does it very well.

All of which means you can focus on shooting, not so much on the gear.:)

hsteeves

some one will just have to tell me how to shoot moving things at night with my OMD - I'll even take moving things in daylight. And how not to look at nice shiny new lenses and tell myself how badly I need them.

jonoslack

And how not to look at nice shiny new lenses and tell myself how badly I need them.
Hi There
Nobody around here can show you how to do that - with the possible exception of Rayvan, we're all terrible GAS victims!:deadhorse::facesmack::loco:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Braeside wrote:

I found the OM-D too small for me unless I added the grip and then it was as large as the X-Pro 1 with its case fitted, so absolutely no benefit there.
I had an OM-D for a while, and I found I needed half of the grip too for it to feel secure while carrying around, and then the size difference was not significant—AND there is the point about small being too small, too. Neither are pocket cameras—and if this is so, then you want the body that feels the best to you. I did not buy the X-Pro 1 I played with in Torino, because it seemed there was no real size/weight advantage over whatever it was I was shooting with at the time. As well, I did not find the EVF/OVF completely convincing.

However, with the X-E1 coming (I ordered as soon as it was announced), I believe that moderate-sized mirrorless will have come of age, for me, especially with the X-Trans sensor. The UI looks perfect, as is the location of the EVF, compared to the OM-D. And the grip and thumb rest look right too. The JPEGs SOOC look excellent on both the X-Pro 1 and the X-E1, so I will either use Fuji's Raw converter to set WB only, and PP in PS and/or wait for Aperture to understand this sensor. And in the meantime, I will shoot both Raw and fine JPEGs.

I have located a 30/1.4. I plan only to get the 14/2.8 and the 60/2.4; I am trying to get the ultimate three-lens kit!

To answer Ustein's original q., I just do not think there is enough lens-and-body-plus-grip size/weight difference for that to be the main criterion of choice; for me, it's sensor size, optics, and UI.

D

d2mini

I have had a fuji x-e1 on preorder but I think I'm going to cancel that as I just ordered the Olympus OM-D EM-5 with the new Panny 12-35 for a few reasons.

1) Need a travel camera sooner than the fuji is being released.
2) Features like the super fast focus, tilting screen, IBIS, weather sealing and a couple other things will probably outweigh fuji's slight advantage in IQ and sensor size. I do have a D800 and Nikon pro glass for critical work when needed, but the Oly should do just fine from what I've seen.
3) I almost exclusively shoot raw
4) Currently there is a much larger lens selection for m43.

I'll watch Fuji over the next couple years and let them get the kinks worked out. Love where they are heading, that's for sure. And if the Oly doesn't work out, not much is lost.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have an X-Pro1 and a pre order for an X-E1 because of the improved remote control and automation. However, other than Leica, I have absolutely no desire to switch / return to the Olympus m4/3rds system after leaving after the E-P3 and the Oly silver primes.

Rich M

That's interesting.....I went to Utah with the X-Pro1 and the OMD, and the Oly never left my bag. Maybe it was because I wasn't shooting long, but the Fuji fulfilled all my needs.

R

dhsimmonds

That's interesting.....I went to Utah with the X-Pro1 and the OMD, and the Oly never left my bag. Maybe it was because I wasn't shooting long, but the Fuji fulfilled all my needs.

R
I can understand that totally. The XP1 is by far the better camera for serious landscape work, in fact a FF camera would be even better IMHO!:D

The OMD is a great lightweight all round camera, great for candid portraits and close detail and 1/1 macro work. Put a good 300mm lens on and you have a very useful wildlife kit weighing a fraction of it's APSc sensor equivalent. The latter would have the edge for action shots though!

jonoslack

I can understand that totally. The XP1 is by far the better camera for serious landscape work, in fact a FF camera would be even better IMHO!:D

The OMD is a great lightweight all round camera, great for candid portraits and close detail and 1/1 macro work. Put a good 300mm lens on and you have a very useful wildlife kit weighing a fraction of it's APSc sensor equivalent. The latter would have the edge for action shots though!
That's the one . . . what you really need is a FF M and an OMD.:facesmack: