The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mount Fuji Active … 📸

Knorp

:eek:, yes one ought to wait a long time to get it secondhand, but my mind, most of the time, ain't constructed that way, so starvation might become a tempting offer :D
And the thoughts of street and casual with the 50R are really triggering me...
well, time will solve the headache...:rolleyes:
Well in that case you could well start living on the street.
Find a cosy bridge to make your new home: you can easily take snaps of passersby and/or (other) photogs who share the same dream ... :rolleyes:
One major caveat: what to do with the wifey ?
Oh well, you'll think of some something I'm sure ... :LOL:

Thorkil

Well in that case you could well start living on the street.
Find a cosy bridge to make your new home: you can easily take snaps of passersby and/or (other) photogs who share the same dream ... :rolleyes:
One major caveat: what to do with the wifey ?
Oh well, you'll think of some something I'm sure ... :LOL:
:p:p:p, yes in that case one didn't have to worry about getting out of the door or not, and everything would be available there right at/on your feets,
and perhaps once in a while the wife could invite one for dinner (together with all her renters..)...
Well, gearthoughts and -dreams can somehow sometimes get in a level of Kamikaze-heros....:loco:

k-hawinkler

congrats KH !!!
KR thorkil
+1
I should have guessed something's cooking ... :facesmack:
So K-H, you little s.... :grin:

Happy shooting and keep 'm coming ... :thumbs:
Welcome to the club KH:salute:
Thanks guys. This is now my 5th ILC system of a different kind. :LOL:

Yikes, these Fuji hardcore engineers don't even think of displaying the Firmware version number of the GFX 50S somewhere in the menu! :banghead:

Anyway, I just updated the Firmware of my 50S from version 3.0 to 3.2.
And it still seems to work. Amazing! :thumbs:

But there are certainly bugs in their system. :banghead: :thumbdown: :shocked:
Sometimes my 50S goes into wild spasms when it doesn't properly switch from the LCD to the EVF. :banghead:
WOW! I have never seen this in any of my other camera systems! :facesmack:

On a familiar note, at the top level the 50S menu is structured similarly to the one of the E-M1.2.
That's all good! :clap: Sony should use that idea as well. :grin:

As Bart demonstrated in starting this thread, the GFX 50S certainly is capable of delivering superb IQ! :thumbs:

So Bart, how about getting back to my question from yesterday:
"How do you assess the native lenses you have experience with, and also the others you have not tried yet?"

Your initial response was after all. quote:

"Pffff ! Questions, questions, questions !Do remind me tomorrow, will you ?
I'm off to bed now.
Nighty-night." :ROTFL: :watch:

iiiNelson

Thanks guys. This is now my 5th ILC system of a different kind. :LOL:

Yikes, these Fuji hardcore engineers don't even think of displaying the Firmware version number of the GFX 50S somewhere in the menu! :banghead:

Anyway, I just updated the Firmware of my 50S from version 3.0 to 3.2.
And it still seems to work. Amazing! :thumbs:

But there are certainly bugs in their system. :banghead: :thumbdown: :shocked:
Sometimes my 50S goes into wild spasms when it doesn't properly switch from the LCD to the EVF. :banghead:
WOW! I have never seen this in any of my other camera systems! :facesmack:

On a familiar note, at the top level the 50S menu is structured similarly to the one of the E-M1.2.
That's all good! :clap: Sony should use that idea as well. :grin:

As Bart demonstrated in starting this thread, the GFX 50S certainly is capable of delivering superb IQ! :thumbs:

"How do you assess the native lenses you have experience with, and also the others you have not tried yet?"

I'm off to bed now.
Maybe it’s just me but I thought the Fuji menus weren’t all that different from the Sony menus.... there were fewer options but the structure seemed similar (which wasn’t bad for me because I figured them out pretty quickly). Being away from Canon for a little over 10 years now (on a daily basis) I didn’t find picking up the EOS R to be quite as easy to pick up initially but it eventually came back to me once I remembered their naming conventions for the same things.

iiiNelson

FWIW : I can't summarise in words more concise than what was posted by Mr Lovegrove in the review pointed to in above link - to quote him which mirrors my experience with 23/35-63 zoom/110 and 120 so far:

GFX lenses are flat field meaning if you point one at a brick wall 2 metres away and set it wide open focussed at 2m it will create a sharp shot edge to edge and corner to corner even though the corners of the frame may be 3m from the lens. The focussing distance changes as you the pan away from centre. That’s why a focus and reframe system of focussing doesn’t work with GFX unless the lens is stopped down somewhat. Incidentally it’s also one of the main reason SLR users tend to get back focus issues. With an SLR, only the near centre focussing areas are sensitive and accurate due to the way the prism operates. With the Fujifilm GFX system all the focus zones are as sensitive as each other even right into the corners and that is why focusing errors are a thing of the past.

For composed thought through shooting the GFX lenses do not lose ground to any other lens manufacturer in MF. Again - these systems can be used for snapshots but show themeselves at their best when a photographer actually is takes time to make a shot.
I find that to be spot on though I’ve only used the 45, 63, 32-64, and the 110 myself. I also agree that people should “unlearn” focus and recompose techniques in general on Mirrorless since you have AF across the entire sensor be it PDAF and/or CDAF.

k-hawinkler

I find that to be spot on though I’ve only used the 45, 63, 32-64, and the 110 myself. I also agree that people should “unlearn” focus and recompose techniques in general on Mirrorless since you have AF across the entire sensor be it PDAF and/or CDAF.
Thanks Tre, I don’t have any of the 4 lenses you have used, namely 45, 63, 32-64, and 110. From what I have read the 110 seems to be highly regarded by some folks, primarily as a portrait lens. The 32-64 is described as a work horse, whatever ,that means. For the remaining two primes 45 and 64 there seem to be some doubts about their focusing performance. Optically they are considered fine but slow. What’s your take on those lenses? I would really appreciate your guidance. TIA.

k-hawinkler

Maybe it’s just me but I thought the Fuji menus weren’t all that different from the Sony menus.... there were fewer options but the structure seemed similar (which wasn’t bad for me because I figured them out pretty quickly). Being away from Canon for a little over 10 years now (on a daily basis) I didn’t find picking up the EOS R to be quite as easy to pick up initially but it eventually came back to me once I remembered their naming conventions for the same things.
For the E-M1.2 Olympus introduced a left hand column, a short hand notation for groups of functions detailed to the right individually. One can go down those 2 columns either by groups or individual functions.

Fujifilm does the same.

Sony has at the highest level 6 panels, arranged in a 3x2 grid. If one goes into one of the panels, one can go by group or individual function horizontally through all of them. That seems a bit contrived to me, workable but clumsy. :facesmack:

Knorp

I'm off to bed now.
You know, it's such a smart statement as there will always be a tomorrow after tomorrow ...
So tomorrow it is - savvy ?

:ROTFL:

No worries, I'll get back to you, K-H.
But seriously answering such question takes a bit of time ...

k-hawinkler

You know, it's such a smart statement as there will always be a tomorrow after tomorrow ...
So tomorrow it is - savvy ?

:ROTFL:

No worries, I'll get back to you, K-H.
But seriously answering such question takes a bit of time ...
Thanks Bart. I know.
That’s why I appreciate your feedback.
You are way ahead of me here.
I am trying to get up to speed and make sensible purchasing decisions.
So far I have gotten three lenses, namely 23, 120, and of course 250 with TC.
Those were in stock with discounts.
The others backlogged or expected in a week or two.

The 120 and 250 are stabilized. I like that!
The 23 (18mm ewuivalent) is the widest they got.

So far I have only tried the 120.
It seems to work fine.
However, when not powered up something is banging inside.
Presumably the OIS.

BTW the 250 doesn’t do that.
I have to try that one next. :thumbup:

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre, I don’t have any of the 4 lenses you have used, namely 45, 63, 32-64, and 110. From what I have read the 110 seems to be highly regarded by some folks, primarily as a portrait lens. The 32-64 is described as a work horse, whatever ,that means. For the remaining two primes 45 and 64 there seem to be some doubts about their focusing performance. Optically they are considered fine but slow. What’s your take on those lenses? I would really appreciate your guidance. TIA.
The 32-64 definitely focuses faster than the 63 because it has linear motors but the 63 was still useable to me. The 32-64 gives an obvious advantage of having one lens to cover 25-51 (35mm equivalent) and give you that one lens solution in the mid range. I could see the 45 and 63 being more attractive if they were f/2 lenses but you’re only losing one stop with the zoom so I’d go that way myself if I bought into the GFX system.

110mm is completely a “portrait” lens but it can obviously be used as a general purpose ~90mm equivalent. I believe the 120mm is even sharper from pictures I’ve seen across the board and has OIS so that may be more beneficial to your nature shots for sure. The obvious comparison with the 120/4 G is the Fuji X 80/2.8... it seems like Fuji is creating the X and G alongside each other because there’s the familial similarity in rendering with the 250/4 and the 200/2 as well... I assume there was some feedback taken from the 56/1.2 that was improved upon and put into the 110/2.

To me there’s not a bad GFX lens and if money were no object (too bad I didn’t win the $1.6 Billion dollar lotto this week though I really didn’t expect to either) I’d own them all but most big purchases have to wait as the wife is eyeing a new house in the spring so that’s where our extra money is largely going to presently.

Lastly I know YouTube gets a bad rap from many people but there’s a wealth of information and examples there from sources that aren’t ambassadors as well... though some ambassadors comments shouldn’t be completely thrown out either.

iiiNelson

For the E-M1.2 Olympus introduced a left hand column, a short hand notation for groups of functions detailed to the right individually. One can go down those 2 columns either by groups or individual functions.

Fujifilm does the same.

Sony has at the highest level 6 panels, arranged in a 3x2 grid. If one goes into one of the panels, one can go by group or individual function horizontally through all of them. That seems a bit contrived to me, workable but clumsy. :facesmack:
Ahhh. I got it. So you’d prefer the addition of subgroups to the menu system to cut down the number of pages initially seen and for the options to be further grouped together if I’m understanding correctly.

k-hawinkler

Ahhh. I got it. So you’d prefer the addition of subgroups to the menu system to cut down the number of pages initially seen and for the options to be further grouped together if I’m understanding correctly.
Thanks Tre. Sony should get rid of their 3x2 top level panels.
That doesn’t do anything for me and is superfluous.

Then Sony should run through their groups vertically, not horizontally.
Each group then expands to the right, one at a time, and lists individual functions vertically. Those individual functions, one at a time, can then expand to the right again if necessary. That’s how Olympus and Fuji do it. Very nice.

iiiNelson

I forgot about his testing. I read through quite a bit of it earlier this year.

I find his testing to provide very useful and technically objective data points but rarely do I come to a conclusion about how a lens will perform in actual pictures from his testing for the type of photos that I take. Even still the work he does adds something to the photo community and I’m glad he does the tedious work required for his tests if for no other reasons than to test manufacturer’s marketing claims.